Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Where?

freeeradical said:
i need some maps with trails on them if you got any hook me up and if you dont have any can you tell me where to get them.
You have to be more specific of the maps you want. You can find maps all over:

On the web, you can download a map of most any park in PDF. Google park name and word "map".
Most county parks give out maps for free at the trail head.
Ranger stations at large CA parks (like Henry Coe) can usually mail you a map for a nominal fee.
I've got a big pile of paper trail maps I've picked up at the trail head from many parks.
I also have lots of electronic tracks I can send in gpx format if you can handle them.
To find good parks, look at the Trail Review section. The only problem is the trails aren't ranked so it's hard to find the good ones. So book reviews are better to read first.
You can find in most bike stores many books with bike trail suggestions and simple maps. My favorite is "Northern California's Best 100 Trails", by Delaine Fragnoli and Robin Stuart. I used it to find and ride lots of trails. Priced at $19.

Before MTBR, I'd use my GPS to help find the trail head and navigate the route. I'd look at the books, web reviews, and maps. Theny by comparing with computer topo maps, make waypoints on the suggested trail so I wouldn't get lost.

A better way to find trails is to keep watch on this site and look for an intersting ride. I was a very slow rider who does very long rides, so my style didn't fit MTBR. But I've got faster (by working harder and loosing weight) so I'm more compatible now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Another easy, read lazy like me, alternative is just pay www.bikemapdude.com for the Nor Cal large map pack and be done with it. Something like 15 maps of the major destinations around Nor Cal. Maps are good enough for me and are vinyl clad so they last a while.

I ordered a set on like a Tuesday night and had the maps on that same Friday. He also has small map packs for regional rides, check out the website as he has examples of the maps there.

KB

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,165 Posts
Can you be somewhat more vague? Location would help.
Check out Kreb's maps at LBS'. I have 3 of theirs to cover different areas.
For Tahoe area I have one of these: http://www.adventuremaps.net/california.htm. Both from a LBS. Check out the LBS in your area for some good info there. REI may have some too. I've not looked there.
The prior two replies also had some good pointers.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I don't mind sharing this with you but you have to promise not to show it to anyone.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Now you did it

kidwoo said:
I don't mind sharing this with you but you have to promise not to show it to anyone.
Way to go. Now all those Santa Cruz guys are going to get on your case for spilling the secret sauce. :p

PS. Great map. I'll have to take it with me on my next ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.