Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a 2003 or newer used medium chameleon frame for a while now. I have tried mtbr, ebay, and pinkbike without any luck (found a couple but could never get a reply). :mad: Does anyone know of a better way of finding used frames? :confused: I am hoping to build it up for the summer :cool:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a complete medium Chameleon that I was thinking about selling or parting out. I think it's either a '02 or '03, but it has the disk brake adapter so maybe it's an '02? I think I got it late '02 so it probably is. It's the dark blue that SC doesn't have any more. Would you have any interest? How much were you looking to spend. I'll post a picture if I get a chance.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Wanted Chameleon frame Black med/large

G'day i too am looking for a used Chameleon frame to build and add to my SC family, ive been looking for a while now and im finding it pretty hard mostly cause i live in Australia, it seems no one wants to give em up over here and most the Cham' frames on Ebay US have been dodgy or a bit risky to buy from afar. Im looking for a Black med/large 03 - 04 with little damage if possible, id like to pay up $350 depending on Quality. The only problem is it needs to be shipped by USPS unless you wanna write that its a gift otherwise shipping , import tax and Customs make it not worth while. PEACE OUT

·
Registered
524 Posts
CHUNKY NUGGET said:
G'day i too am looking for a used Chameleon frame to build and add to my SC family, ive been looking for a while now and im finding it pretty hard mostly cause i live in Australia, it seems no one wants to give em up over here and most the Cham' frames on Ebay US have been dodgy or a bit risky to buy from afar. Im looking for a Black med/large 03 - 04 with little damage if possible, id like to pay up $350 depending on Quality. The only problem is it needs to be shipped by USPS unless you wanna write that its a gift otherwise shipping , import tax and Customs make it not worth while. PEACE OUT
Chunky I picked up a large baby blue Chameleon frame on Farkin.net which I am in the process of building up. It's a 2002 with about 10 hrs use on it. I'm building it up using the old components from my GT Avalanche which has a cracked frame. Check the for sale on Farkin mate it's pretty good.

I'll post some pics soon :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have been waiting for my Chameleon from Santa Cruz since the end of February, almost ten weeks. After checking with my LBS they called SC and they said that they had just received their shipment of black chameleons. I ordered transblue and they said that this color should arrive in 10 days. I had the chance to order it in black but I will wait 10 more days for my choice of color, I figured what the heck its alreday been 10 weeks what's 10 more days.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thanx Guys, that "Farkin.net" site is cool i never new it existed, it has lots of stuff to keep me interested. Also i no longer need a Chameleon frame as i got a Great deal from Kim at Revolution Cycles in W.A. and Santa Cruz Australia ( who i both definately recommend to Aussies ) on a Black med' Chameleon frame. I havent got it yet but its only been a couple of days and i reckon it'll take no more than a week as its only gotta come from East Aus'. I cant wait to get it im gonna make it single speed and attempt to get fit.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Santa Cruz Aus?

Hey Chunky is that Neezy Pty Ltd In QLD? Do you mind me asking what sort of money they want for a new frame? They aren't on line as far as I can see.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yep thats the same guys, you can call em or email them and you'll probably speak to Greg whoz a bloody nice guy, they also upgrade and service 5th elements. Back to your question though, the Chameleon frame retails for $1050 Aus which i reckon aint too bad, mind you i didnt pay that much from Revolution Cycles coz the owner Kim is a big softy and is doing his best to establish a more core bikeshop - Give Kim a call if your in W.A. on 08-9439-3033.

·
Registered
524 Posts
'Give Kim a call if your in W.A. on 08-9439-3033'

Thanks man but I'm right. I just finished building my bike last night and rode it to work today. It's my first chameleon and the first bike I've ever built and I love it! Nicest hardtail I've ever ridden.

$1050 doesn't sound bad for a new lizzard. I love the geometry and the heavy chainstays feel so indestructable. I've got mine set up as a geary but we'll see how it goes.

I almost went with one of these for about 600 bucks. I love the feel of steel!

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
DH/DJ/STR Frame Specs:

Horizontal drop-outs with integrated axle positioning system.
Heavy duty custom cold drawn .243 racing 4130 chromoly tube set.
Double or single crown forks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
G'day Panacea, Mmm nice frame, looks tuff as hell. Personally i think you did better with your Chamy' but i kinda have a biased opinion with this being my 3rd Santa Cruz. It is good fun building up your own bike, i try to do all the building and maintenance on my bikes mainly because i enjoy it but it also saves bucks and keeps you intouch with your bike. By the way id like to see a pic of your Chameleon, im thinkin of posting pics of my build as i go and the rest of my SC family.
Catch ya!

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
I've got my Chameleon as a single speed

CHUNKY NUGGET said:
Thanx Guys, that "Farkin.net" site is cool i never new it existed, it has lots of stuff to keep me interested. Also i no longer need a Chameleon frame as i got a Great deal from Kim at Revolution Cycles in W.A. and Santa Cruz Australia ( who i both definately recommend to Aussies ) on a Black med' Chameleon frame. I havent got it yet but its only been a couple of days and i reckon it'll take no more than a week as its only gotta come from East Aus'. I cant wait to get it im gonna make it single speed and attempt to get fit.
I'd recommend a Surly Tug Nut,
I run regular XT or XTR hubs & skewers with a Chris King rear cog, Surly tug nut,
with almost 50 rides and quite a few agonizing climbs, no slippage/eatshittage of the back wheel.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Bike Nazi said:
I'd recommend a Surly Tug Nut,
I run regular XT or XTR hubs & skewers with a Chris King rear cog, Surly tug nut,
with almost 50 rides and quite a few agonizing climbs, no slippage/eatshittage of the back wheel.
Like this:

·
Registered
581 Posts
MMmm, nice. I couldnt help but notice that you have a tug nut type device joint onto the back wheel, do you think its necessary? should one be used for both Single Speed and Geared ? Ive read in other threads that its not needed! I spoze it depends on a few factors: Rider and Riding style etc.Maybe its better being safe than sorry, i dunno but i will soon find out when i get my new Chamy frame.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
CHUNKY NUGGET said:
MMmm, nice. I couldnt help but notice that you have a tug nut type device joint onto the back wheel, do you think its necessary? should one be used for both Single Speed and Geared ? Ive read in other threads that its not needed! I spoze it depends on a few factors: Rider and Riding style etc.Maybe its better being safe than sorry, i dunno but i will soon find out when i get my new Chamy frame.
I don't use one when I run my Chameleon with gears. I have not been running one yet while it has been a single speed........However that is going to change. My rear wheel keeps slipping under hard efforts(XT hub).SO I will be adding one probably this week.

mtnbikej

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
MTBJ is right, no need for chain tug with gears

CHUNKY NUGGET said:
but with out gears, get a chain tug, the surly has a special washer/spacer so you can run with quick release skewers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.