Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:

This is not really passion but need some help here. I know I am opening myself up to lots of jokes here but my "boys" have been taking a beating this year and I cant seem to get the right "adjustment" while riding. I have tried up, left, right, here, there, everywhere but dammit they are getting killed. I feel like I spend my whole ride "adjusting". Does any one have any suggestions? Is it time for a new seat (I am currently riding a Fizik), new riding shorts? What have you done to correct this problem?
 

·
I ride, therefore I am.
Joined
·
232 Posts
First, what kind of riding shorts are you using? I mean, do they have a padded chamois? Some people may not agree, but shorts without a decent pad aren't worth owning. The pad and lycra help hold the boys up out of the way, kinda like briefs vs. boxers.

Many people wouldn't get caught dead in tight lycra shorts. Still, they work. You can always wear them under regular shorts, or better yet under surf shorts. MTB baggie shorts are cool, but can get a little pricey.

If you are wearing padded shorts that support everything and still have a problem, maybe your equipment would be better off making porn movies!
;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tig said:
First, what kind of riding shorts are you using? I mean, do they have a padded chamois? Some people may not agree, but shorts without a decent pad aren't worth owning. The pad and lycra help hold the boys up out of the way, kinda like briefs vs. boxers.

Many people wouldn't get caught dead in tight lycra shorts. Still, they work. You can always wear them under regular shorts, or better yet under surf shorts. MTB baggie shorts are cool, but can get a little pricey.

If you are wearing padded shorts that support everything and still have a problem, maybe your equipment would be better off making porn movies!
;)
I have two pair of MTB shorts with the chamois padding. Both pair seem to ride to the front which i think contributes to the problem.

The SO wouldnt appreciate the porn route..unless.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
I have problems with the chamois in my 2 pairs of Fox mid-rangers riding up in front too although I usually don't have any "position" issues. Maybe try a thin, wicking, pair of tight underwear beneath your riding pants.

Years and years ago Thrasher skateboard magazine answered a similar question from a reader something like this...

First, get yourself some duct tape and a whole jug of Shoe-Goo....
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
What kind of shorts?

Chubbs said:
I have two pair of MTB shorts with the chamois padding. Both pair seem to ride to the front which i think contributes to the problem.

The SO wouldnt appreciate the porn route..unless.....
First, baggy shorts tend to creep more than lycra plum smugglers. I've stopped riding in baggy shorts because they creep and my twig and berries fall out of place. So if you're riding in baggy shorts, you may want to switch.

Also there are a couple of others things you should try:

Saddle angle. Is the nose of your saddle level, pointing down or pointing up. There's an easy way to check: with the bike level (in a stand or trainer) take a clipboard and balance it on your saddle. Place a level on the clipboard and it will tell you in which position the saddle's pointed.

Saddle Hump: I'm not familiar with your saddle, but some do have a hump in the nose. If your saddle is pointed too far up, this may be contributing to your discomfort.

Seat Height: Your seatpost may be up to far, which means that you're reaching for your pedals on the downstroke and rocking back and forth in your saddle (which is bad). To check this, sit on your bike and move one crankarm down and at the same angle as your seattube. This is the farthest leg exentsion in your pedal rotation. There should be a slight bend in your knee in this position. If your reaching with your legs, then lower your seatpost until you get that slight bend.

Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Do you have problems with numbness or are they just getting squished? And which Fizik saddle do you have?

You might want to look into getting a pair of bib-shorts. They won't pull forward like your other shorts. Wear them under a pair of thin shorts like swim trunks or gym shorts if you're modest.

Tip your saddle nose down so more pressure is placed on your sit bones rather than your junk. If you're riding a stretched out XC bike, move the saddle forward a few CM to put you in a more upright position.

Buy a new seat. I think the new Specialized Alias and Avatar saddles are the best idea out there. You go to a Specialized dealer and they measure the distance between your sit bones to determine which size saddle you should use. I did this and picked up a 143mm Alias. It's truly unbelievable. I can hear my boys thank me every time I sit on it.

- Jeremy -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ken in KC said:
First, baggy shorts tend to creep more than lycra plum smugglers. I've stopped riding in baggy shorts because they creep and my twig and berries fall out of place. So if you're riding in baggy shorts, you may want to switch.

Also there are a couple of others things you should try:

Saddle angle. Is the nose of your saddle level, pointing down or pointing up. There's an easy way to check: with the bike level (in a stand or trainer) take a clipboard and balance it on your saddle. Place a level on the clipboard and it will tell you in which position the saddle's pointed.

Saddle Hump: I'm not familiar with your saddle, but some do have a hump in the nose. If your saddle is pointed too far up, this may be contributing to your discomfort.

Seat Height: Your seatpost may be up to far, which means that you're reaching for your pedals on the downstroke and rocking back and forth in your saddle (which is bad). To check this, sit on your bike and move one crankarm down and at the same angle as your seattube. This is the farthest leg exentsion in your pedal rotation. There should be a slight bend in your knee in this position. If your reaching with your legs, then lower your seatpost until you get that slight bend.

Ken
Ken thanks for the tips.
I am riding baggies, not a fan of the lycra, I had thought about the bibs but never have tried em. Lycra and clydes, bad mix..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
- Jeremy - said:
Do you have problems with numbness or are they just getting squished? And which Fizik saddle do you have?

You might want to look into getting a pair of bib-shorts. They won't pull forward like your other shorts. Wear them under a pair of thin shorts like swim trunks or gym shorts if you're modest.

Tip your saddle nose down so more pressure is placed on your sit bones rather than your junk. If you're riding a stretched out XC bike, move the saddle forward a few CM to put you in a more upright position.

Buy a new seat. I think the new Specialized Alias and Avatar saddles are the best idea out there. You go to a Specialized dealer and they measure the distance between your sit bones to determine which size saddle you should use. I did this and picked up a 143mm Alias. It's truly unbelievable. I can hear my boys thank me every time I sit on it.

- Jeremy -
Yea it may be time for a new seat, the fizik waa killin my ass last year and I kinda stopped riding cause of it. Thanks for the Specialized tip I'll have to find a dealer close by and check the seats out. Thanks for the bib tip as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dir-T said:
I have problems with the chamois in my 2 pairs of Fox mid-rangers riding up in front too although I usually don't have any "position" issues. Maybe try a thin, wicking, pair of tight underwear beneath your riding pants.

Years and years ago Thrasher skateboard magazine answered a similar question from a reader something like this...

First, get yourself some duct tape and a whole jug of Shoe-Goo....
I have tried riding using the Under Armor tights which I use when I hike and it seemed to work ok but they did seem to contribute to the shorts sliding to the front. I have to give em a try agan once I get some new shorts/bibs.

Shoe-Goo could hinder my porn career so that could be a no no... :D
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
From one Clyde to another....

Chubbs said:
Ken thanks for the tips.
I am riding baggies, not a fan of the lycra, I had thought about the bibs but never have tried em. Lycra and clydes, bad mix..
Do yourself a favor and at least get the bibs. Put a pair of shorts on over them.

I started with lycra, didn't like the exposure and went to baggies. I spent several years trying to find the right pair. Every time I went out for a decent length ride, I found myself wearing tights. So I bought tights and cut the liners out of my least comfortable baggies to throw on over the plum smugglers. Eventually I just stopped caring about my modesty on the trail and focused on riding.

Baggies may be part of your problem.

Ken
 

·
Tear it all out!
Joined
·
7,739 Posts
Another saddle to check out is the WTB Speed V and related models. A bunch of riding buddies are now on them after trying quite a few others. I've been using WTB saddles for years.
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
I agree...

CraigH said:
Another saddle to check out is the WTB Speed V and related models. A bunch of riding buddies are now on them after trying quite a few others. I've been using WTB saddles for years.
My saddle is a WTB and I've been riding them for several years. Saddles are really a personal preference, so it's impossible for us to tell you what saddle is "the best", but my personal preference for saddles is the same as Craig's, WTB.

Ken
 

·
Yummy
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
forkboy said:
Duct tape.
You'd be hairless in an awful hurry!

Shouldn't this whole thread be posted in "Genital Discussion"?

Kn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
WTB saddles + tighties

I have a Speed V saddle and its great. Matter of fact, I've got a performance "men's contour" saddle on my road bike, and it makes me appreciate the WTB even more. I highly recommend the Speed V saddle.

I started out in baggies and have not yet completely made the switch. This winter, though, I picked up a pair of polypro tights with a shammy. The difference is night and day. The pad stays in place and my ride is much more comfortable. Now with the warm weather, I've donned the baggies a couple of times, and beyond an hour, my crotch is killing me. (Of course, some of this may have to do with the aforementioned seat on the road bike.) Keep in mind my baggies do have a liner similar to regular/tighty bike shorts, but for some reason, its always moving around. I plan on buying some bib shorts within the next week or so.

Let me put it this way: the difference is enough that I'm willing to put up with my wife making fun me.... :rolleyes:
 

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
Joined
·
2,262 Posts
I use WTB saddles on all my bikes, but sometimes I'll experience squishage and other times not. I've narrowed it down to the padding I've got in my different tights and shorts. I've got tights that tend to pull my yambag downward, which means that I need to reach in there and lift the whole package after I pull on the tights. I've not encountered the same squishage when I wear another tights or shorts, so this has led me to believe that all things being equal, it's the padding in the tights that make it uncomfortable.

Maybe you could start with some different shorts with different padding to see how you feel before venturing off to different and expensive saddles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
As others have said, you have to wear some quality lycra shorts/bibs. I won't ride more than a mile without 'em. Throw some baggies over them if you want.

The Fizik saddles are ballbusters. Try a WTB. The Rocket and Speed are narrow versions; as a clyde you should look more at the wider Laser and Power V. I used to run Lasers, now run Powers on all my bikes -- longer so more room to move around and find a comfy position.
 

·
Perpetually single track
Joined
·
3,175 Posts
Ken in KC said:
My saddle is a WTB and I've been riding them for several years. Saddles are really a personal preference, so it's impossible for us to tell you what saddle is "the best", but my personal preference for saddles is the same as Craig's, WTB.

Ken
What Ken said...saddle preference is REALLY personal. For some reason I prefer the ass hatchet style roadie ones...even for long rides. Just fit me better. Try a few different saddles. Some shops maybe liberal on the return policy if you're nice to the saddle and don't scratch up the rails. Good luck....seat issues suck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
ibmkidIII said:
Some shops maybe liberal on the return policy if you're nice to the saddle and don't scratch up the rails.
Has anyone ever tried wrapping some tape around the rails before mounting the seat? I was thinking that might be a good way to keep the rails from getting scratched while you test ride the saddles.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top