Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

221 - 240 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Haven't seen them mentioned but "Jonas M" channel has the best videography of any MTB videos I have seen. I have put them on during parties and non-riders stop and watch. They speak Danish or Swedish or something, so I just play other music.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
A good gopro effect video is a recent one by Danny MacAskill "The Slabs". The end of the video looks super steep POV, but other areas when the drone is to the side it showcases steepness.

I used to take a P&S camera out with my dirt bike friend and record ourselves hill climbing. Any time a person can get the camera mounted flat to the horizon, pointing at the side of the hill it will show just how steep things are. This was a long time ago, maybe even before the first Hero was released.

Also, any of us who have recorded or own POV on our steepest terrain and watch it back can better gauge watching videos from others.
Another good trick for showing steepness of a climb is to follow somebody -watch how quick the cadence is compared to how slowly the trees are coming atcha.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
A good gopro effect video is a recent one by Danny MacAskill "The Slabs". The end of the video looks super steep POV, but other areas when the drone is to the side it showcases steepness.
I think that if you don't enjoy the hell out of MacAskill's videos then you have no business riding a mountain bike and should probably take up golf or knitting.

·
Registered
525 Posts
This was the guy who had a bunch of drama going on with some other YouTuber that he apparently called out as being a fake mtb bro because he lived in LA and flew to Colorado to shoot videos or something? I don't know. They had videos back and forth. So stupid.

A lot of the places BKXC rides are cool, but his riding in general is boring.
The feud was done with sarcasm then when people didn't realize it, it became an inside joke.

·
Thicc Member
1,159 Posts
imo, these videos could be instantly better if the hosts would NEVER point the camera at their face. I have ZERO interest in seeing these made for radio faces. Just focus on the bikes, the scenery, and the riding. I want to hear you if you have something useful to say; I never want to see you.

·
Your Best Friend
5,298 Posts
imo, these videos could be instantly better if the hosts would NEVER point the camera at their face. I have ZERO interest in seeing these made for radio faces. Just focus on the bikes, the scenery, and the riding. I want to hear you if you have something useful to say; I never want to see you.
Videos like that hardly ever work. A million groms with a gopro ride trails and then post their extremely boring rides on YouTube. It's the personality of the host and the interest they bring to story behind the ride that brings people back.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,840 Posts
I want so badly to love MTB YouTube channels, but my god 99.9% of them are just awful at this point. There are so many channels out there these days, everything from riding videos to reviews and everything in between. I find almost all of them unwatchable. The ride videos have gotten to the point where they are about 60% listening to someone talk while they sit in their #vanlife van, and 40% riding but having to listen to them yacking about their absolute favorite (sponsored) new parts. The riding isn't even all that stellar even when they finally get to it. The worst part of these is that now there's starting to be drama between channels. These guys somehow think that the average rider, who rides for enjoyment and uses mountain biking to get away from the dramas of daily life want to hear about how they don't think another guy from another MTB channel is a true mountain bike bro. That guy over there is faking it, don't watch his channel watch mine.

Review channels are every bit as insufferable. The reviews are either beyond glowing (paid) or they spend 2 minutes of their video letting you know that they are definitely unbiased (probably not) and how you should contribute monthly to their Patron account so they can quit their day job and do bike reviews full time. Most of these channels are either directed at newbies (nothing wrong with that) or their entire review consists of just spouting off current industry buzzwords like "shreddy" and "flickable" as if that somehow gives us an indication as to how a bike really rides. The worst part is that a lot of these guys will start getting into technical things with regards to how a frame is built, how suspension is built, etc without having any idea what they're talking about. I can understand wanting to quit your job and do something you love, but please stop begging me for $5/mo while you try to figure out how to make a career out of telling people the difference between SLX 12spd and XT 12spd in multiple videos per week.

The only channel I can sit down and watch without turning it off after a minute and a half is Nate Hills. Excellent riding and minimal talking. Why can't all channels do this?
I did not bother reading all 12 pages, but have you seen the Berm Peak and Berm Peak Express channels? Used to be called Seths Bike Hacks. His stuff is really good.

·
Registered
453 Posts
That video was very watchable. Makes me want to get on my bike.
Indeed! I also like the Vital MTB Raw videos, like this one (that makes me want to sell my bike lol)

Just insane riding!

Reactions: Nat

·
Registered
14 Posts
The difference between the good videos posted and the majority of YouTube is the good videos are third person cameras (rather than first person gopros) and you can see the actions of the rider. This is also known as putting in time and effort into the recording.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Red Bull bike channel is excellent. Professional quality as one would expect.
Over produced with no relevance to regular riders?

The biggest MTB Youtubers are fairly ordinary riders whose biggest draw is their personality. The stuff put out by big corporations is, well, so corporate that is it offputting and at variance with the medium. It is like a thirty year old showing up in a suit at a party for high schoolers.

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
Over produced with no relevance to regular riders?

The biggest MTB Youtubers are fairly ordinary riders whose biggest draw is their personality. The stuff put out by big corporations is, well, so corporate that is it offputting and at variance with the medium. It is like a thirty year old showing up in a suit at a party for high schoolers.
Disagree

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
I saw this and immediately thought of this thread.
GMBN. I quite enjoyed it.
I keep watching this video over and over. I like how you can hear his physical exertion and also his suspension working. Wayyyy better than hearing background music.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Same here. I don't want to watch POV footage of mediocre riders or riders who I ride better than, with little to no personality, pushing their latest sponsors product or their Patreon link. I want to see good quality, well edited footage of riders who are progressing the sport.

Same thing with surfing. I've been for 30+yrs so well before YouTube was even a thought. Growing up, we didn't buy videos of mediocre local surfers, we bought the best edited VHS (lol) surf videos by ...Lost, Volcom, etc. Even now with YouTube, I still don't watch videos of mediocre surfers, I stick to the good stuff like JOB's vlogs or vids by any of the big names in the sport.

That being said, I understand everyone has different preferences. I just find the "fairly ordinary riders" on YouTube to be boring. 🤷‍♂️

221 - 240 of 260 Posts