Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

201 - 220 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
I am one of these people and proud of it. I'm new here to the forum and this is one of the top threads up top. You just don't really see low-quality rant threads like this in most other forums. And if they do occur, the community derides the poster enough to shame them from doing it again. But if this is how y'all roll on mtbr then I don't see myself being around here much. I come for quality content. Not armchair quarterbacks hyperbolically criticizing no one in particular. It makes it hard to find the good threads.
I have no shame, so good luck.

I'm also not sure what forums you're currently on, but every one I've ever been on has way more bickering and bitching than MTBR.

Last thing, while people like you look at this as complaining, there are 10 pages of people who understood exactly what I was getting at. YouTube content for mtb has gone downhill the past few years. It's a legitimate discussion to have, and if you don't like it maybe you should go back to the Bronies forums where you claim there are no meanies.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The Welsh and Scots spoke Celtic languages but I don’t think that’s your point here.
No, that was exactly my gag. Ireland too. But it was just a gag.

The alumin-um / -ium thing turned out to be more interesting when I looked it up. When the metal was first theorized the proposed name was "alumium" but it was a Latin suffix grafted on an English word and roundly dissed. Hall used -ium in patent filings but -um in ad copy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Though usually not bike related, I want to plug Mediocre Amateur as another one who has a fraction of the subs I feel they deserve. Just a couple dudes into mountaineering and skiing who set some lofty goals and then suffer through all the hell it takes to get there. To not only do some of the slogs they do but also go to the trouble of getting the shot and for minimal financial gain is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Trevor Noah went over this few months ago. Apparently the international scientific community has officially adopted the "ium". So we Americans that continue to say "um" are actually pronouncing it wrong. 😋

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,365 Posts
I really like Seth with Berm Peak and Berm Peak Express. I have actually joined his Patreon because all the proceeds go to building a trail system in nearby Canton NC.
Jeff Kendellweed is great too!

Cant stand Mo Awesome..... Dude drives me nuts and sounds like fingernails across a chalk board.
My friends and I call Bobo (Beggo) because hes always begging for money.
Forgot about the trail system in Canton, need to check for updates.👍

·
since 4/10/2009
31,442 Posts
Go on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not those kinds of videos. wife has really been interested in trick certifications, and she's doing a program where they have online evaluations. so you record video of the tricks needed to achieve a title, upload to youtube, send link to the evaluator, and they let you know if you're successful. all those vids are only accessible if I give someone the link. so they're public, but not.

·
Registered
82 Posts
not those kinds of videos. wife has really been interested in trick certifications, and she's doing a program where they have online evaluations. so you record video of the tricks needed to achieve a title, upload to youtube, send link to the evaluator, and they let you know if you're successful. all those vids are only accessible if I give someone the link. so they're public, but not.
Darn! I really had my hopes up!

Anyway that's pretty neat that she's doing that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have no shame, so good luck.

I'm also not sure what forums you're currently on, but every one I've ever been on has way more bickering and bitching than MTBR.

Last thing, while people like you look at this as complaining, there are 10 pages of people who understood exactly what I was getting at. YouTube content for mtb has gone downhill the past few years. It's a legitimate discussion to have, and if you don't like it maybe you should go back to the Bronies forums where you claim there are no meanies.

Dude, seriously, we're not complaining as so much as being honest. Content has gone downhill for a lot of the MTB YouTubers. Most would call it constructive criticism. Considering we're the audience they're targeting, I'd say it's just.

Edit: and I forgot to say, I have a YT channel for our local freeride area. It's NOT easy to keep up when you have a full time job and don't get paid for creating content. It's been a while since I've posted a video even, over a year. I don't do it blog style, they're just purely riding videos of locals with some music (which YT loves to hit with copyright claims lol). So I understand what goes into creating videos and I'm not completely ignorant to the subject. It's not easy at all honestly, but I feel if I didn't work 45-50hrs a week, I could grow the channel a lot bigger.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
The thing that bothers me about Nate Hills’ videos is that the guys in front of him are flopping about like fish out of water. I watched one video and counted the number of times the person in front of him had his rear wheel land off-trail almost 40% of the time. **** like that is why single track becomes an 8ft wide dirt road over time. It’s obvious that the riders are very skilled, and very oblivious to the damage the cause.

I like BKXC’s videos...on mute. I also fast forward through the first five minutes or so.

HardTail party was meh at first. I’ve grown to like him quite a bit. Just good, solid riding sprinkled with reviews of HTs he likes.
One thing that really stands out on the Hardtail Party videos are his interactions with other trail users. He’s always very polite and considerate of them. He gives mountain bikers a good name with those he encounters.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
One notable thing is that the videos don’t do a very good job of showing just how steep the terrain is. I’ve ridden up in Squamish and those rock slabs are far steeper than what the videos capture. Even our local trails are much steeper than the videos show.

·
Registered
453 Posts
One thing that really stands out on the Hardtail Party videos are his interactions with other trail users. He’s always very polite and considerate of them. He gives mountain bikers a good name with those he encounters.
Yeah, I dig his videos. I almost bought a SC Chameleon due to him. lol

One notable thing is that the videos don’t do a very good job of showing just how steep the terrain is. I’ve ridden up in Squamish and those rock slabs are far steeper than what the videos capture. Even our local trails are much steeper than the videos show.
So. True. As a builder, I hear that quite a bit. We have a "slopestyle" line with big tables and drops. The first drop, which is about 7-8' looks like you're just riding off a curb on video. Because of that, people see it in the video and think it's pretty much nothing. When they see everything in person, things change a bit lol. I've seen a ton of people back out because video didn't do it justice. Well, I should say POV video doesn't do it justice.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I saw some people complaining about how he thinks “everything should have a 65* HT angle”. Of course he does look at where he rides. I started watching him after I went back to a HT and enjoy his videos.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I saw some people complaining about how he thinks “everything should have a 65* HT angle”. Of course he does look at where he rides. I started watching him after I went back to a HT and enjoy his videos.

I like his videos too and he’s the gold standard of trail etiquette.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

Which is interesting since his wife's DV9 with the slacker headset is like 66.5* & he like that bike too.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,297 Posts
Unofficially known as the "GoPro Effect".

·
Formerly of Kent
12,344 Posts
Yep. Doesn’t treat the trail like his own personal bike park.

201 - 220 of 260 Posts