Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want so badly to love MTB YouTube channels, but my god 99.9% of them are just awful at this point. There are so many channels out there these days, everything from riding videos to reviews and everything in between. I find almost all of them unwatchable. The ride videos have gotten to the point where they are about 60% listening to someone talk while they sit in their #vanlife van, and 40% riding but having to listen to them yacking about their absolute favorite (sponsored) new parts. The riding isn't even all that stellar even when they finally get to it. The worst part of these is that now there's starting to be drama between channels. These guys somehow think that the average rider, who rides for enjoyment and uses mountain biking to get away from the dramas of daily life want to hear about how they don't think another guy from another MTB channel is a true mountain bike bro. That guy over there is faking it, don't watch his channel watch mine.

Review channels are every bit as insufferable. The reviews are either beyond glowing (paid) or they spend 2 minutes of their video letting you know that they are definitely unbiased (probably not) and how you should contribute monthly to their Patron account so they can quit their day job and do bike reviews full time. Most of these channels are either directed at newbies (nothing wrong with that) or their entire review consists of just spouting off current industry buzzwords like "shreddy" and "flickable" as if that somehow gives us an indication as to how a bike really rides. The worst part is that a lot of these guys will start getting into technical things with regards to how a frame is built, how suspension is built, etc without having any idea what they're talking about. I can understand wanting to quit your job and do something you love, but please stop begging me for $5/mo while you try to figure out how to make a career out of telling people the difference between SLX 12spd and XT 12spd in multiple videos per week.

The only channel I can sit down and watch without turning it off after a minute and a half is Nate Hills. Excellent riding and minimal talking. Why can't all channels do this?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,199 Posts
I'm with ya

99.999% garbage

and the stupid formulaic soundtracks. bubblegum pop or bro music whatever that means but you know what I mean...

#1) stfu and ride
#2) see #1

hooting
hollering
BRO
talking about anything other than bikes = close vid

·
Registered
76 Posts
These guys somehow think that the average rider, who rides for enjoyment and uses mountain biking to get away from the dramas of daily life want to hear about how they don't think another guy from another MTB channel is a true mountain bike bro.
So kind of like you how YOU somehow think that the average rider, who rides for enjoyment and uses mountain biking to get away from the dramas of daily life want to hear about how YOU think a MTB channel is a true mountain bike channel bro.

Not self aware much?

·
Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So kind of like you how YOU somehow think that the average rider, who rides for enjoyment and uses mountain biking to get away from the dramas of daily life want to hear about how YOU think a MTB channel is a true mountain bike channel bro.

Not self aware much?
Not really like that, more like how you think people want to hear your opinions on my posts about my opinions about YouTube channels.

This self awareness thing could almost be a big circle, eh?

·
Registered
366 Posts
It's the dream! Start a youtube channel so you can get free stuff and give fake reviews.

I especially love how youtubers try to make 7k mountain bikes seem like the standard. As if we all should go buy one tomorrow. Don't forget to subscribe to patreon so you can support their mountain biking dream, and their family while you're at it. Who has time to work when they're getting all this free stuff to try out for us?!

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,843 Posts
Based on what I recall of seeing your posts this year: Every bike company customer service sucks, Online bike shops suck. Phoenix area bike shops suck. Strava sucks. Trailforks sucks, and almost all YouTube channels suck.

I bet you're fun at parties.

To each, their own, I guess. I enjoy the hell out of BKXC, BCPOV (and VanGirl Yuka), Tommy Hyunh T-wrex, and MTB Alan. I like Mo and Hannah Awesome pretty well in smaller doses.

I actually find Nate Hills doesn't hold my attention for more than like 3-4 minutes. Sure he's fast, but the PoV video is not unique. I'd watch more if he did some trailside cam-shots. I really think he should do more drone footage.

Edit: I really think Hardtail Party has carved out a great niche with all his hardtail review-a-palooza, but I really miss the old days when it was just "hardtails on hard trails" and he rode janky stuff while way underbiked.

·
Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any video that starts off with, “what’s up guys,” = close vid
Or if they tell me to "Like and hit the Subscribe button". Do you think I am an idiot? Everyone on planet earth knows what the YouTube subscribe button is and what it does. If you feel the need to remind me every single time you post a video, then I feel the need to never watch another one of your videos. So annoying.
It's the dream! Start a youtube channel so you can get free stuff and give fake reviews.

I especially love how youtubers try to make 7k mountain bikes seem like the standard. As if we all should go buy one tomorrow. Don't forget to subscribe to patreon so you can support their mountain biking dream, and their family while you're at it. Who has time to work when they're getting all this free stuff to try out for us?!
I don't mind people mentioning Patreon every now and again. It's the impassioned speech about how you quit your job and need people to support you while you get things off the ground. Not to be a douche, but maybe get it off the ground before you quit your job and then ask for Patreon to supplement? Im sure a lot of guys who have had their channels for a long time did that, but who knows.

·
Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Based on what I recall of seeing your posts this year: Every bike company customer service sucks, Online bike shops suck. Phoenix area bike shops suck. Strava sucks. Trailforks sucks, and almost all YouTube channels suck.
Huh? I'll admit to saying most bike company customer service sucks, but I think you're confusing me with someone else regarding the others. I don't remember ever commenting on Phoenix area bike shops, in fact I've only ever been to 2 and didn't have a bad experience at either. I use Strava and Trailforks and have never had any issues with either...

Im not fun to hang out with at parties, but I definitely don't hate everything like you're implying.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This thread makes me feel better about my own channel =)

I've got a lot of the same gripes as the OP, and some others, and also know damn well that I'm not gonna be making a living on this crap... ever. (****, I'm still ~750 subs from even being able to monetize and get my $3/mo check from the mighty Google.)

For me it's about making a video I want to watch. If it isn't that, then it doesn't happen. Simple. And in my case, I look to Youtube MTB stuff for learning about trails that I might be looking at riding, or maybe learning more about ones I already ride. Not really interested in much beyond that.

I will say that I recently discovered the "Joy of Bike with Alex Bogusky" channel and have enjoyed that content and insight. Sprinkle in a little Bobo here and there for comedic relief (and as a wannabe videographer, watching in awe at his editing and general production.)

1 - 20 of 260 Posts