Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in!

Here are pics. . .

It started life as a Dean Jester Steel frame. I've had the bike since 1997, raced many years on it, it has been through 3 forks (this is the forth!), 3 drivetrains (this is the forth!), only 1 headset though! Anyhow, rather than hang the frame on the wall, and call it quits, I've de-geared it, de-suspensioned it, and now I am taking the SS plunge!

Before (This was it's last running state):

Now. . .

Another shot:

The drivetrain:

The fork has been replaced with a Tange Steel fork. The drivetrain has been replaced with a Surly Singleator with a Wheels Manufacturing Single Speed Conversion kit on the cassette. The chainrings have been replaced with a RaceFace 32T with a RaceFace Bashguard. I am running 32-16 gearing. I also replaced the pedals with the Crank Brothers Mallet M's, and the grips with the THE Lock-ons, which I am pretty sure I am never getting off.

Well, tonight should be my maiden voyage. All comments are welcome!

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ride. . .

Ok, so I've been single-speeding all week, and here are my thoughts:

#1-It is not as rough as I expected. I am coming from a full suspension bike, so I was almost scared to go full rigid, but really I just have to look out for roots a little more. Yes, rutted downhills are still VERY rough, and at times I thought my eyeballs were going to rattle out of skull, but other than the few downhills that were like that, the ride in general was not nearly as rough as I had expected.

#2-I am definetly slower on the flats. Yeah, it probably has to do with the gearing, but I am at the point whre when I spin super-fast, I bounce out of the saddle. Rather than just bounce around, I focused more on spinning smoothly, and I'm hoping that in time I can develop a faster and smoother pedal stroke.

#3-Rigid single speeds handle PHE-****ING-NOMENAL! This bike handles like it is on rails! I can't believe the handling of it! I've actually been thinking of changing out the fork to a DMR trailblade for even more stability in turns, but I can't believe how well this bike handles on the trails!

All in all, it is a very fun bike. I can see why so many people are riding SS's, and I will continue to be an SS rider. I do admit though, I am still going to ride my full suspension bike too. They just ride different, and neither one is necessarily better I guess. I love the handling of a rigid bike though, if you currently don't ride fully rigid, at least try it! I have also been using this bike as my commuter all week (I have a very short commute, only like a mile and half) and for street riding, the gearing is way too low. I guess I can play with gearing though. Anyhow, SSing is fun! I have been very pleased with my first week of single speed riding, I just hope it makes me a better rider all around!

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Oaklander?

I think you live near me in the Oakland Hills, or at least you ride at Aredwood Gate, yes? Say hello if you se me up there on my Bontrager or a blue DeSalvo 29er. I often have a black pitbull with me. She won't bite..... hard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.