Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A search led me to Sarma and Lamere. About 650 grams seems to be the going weight and $400-600/rim the going price.

Aesthetically, a flat black finish looks the best to me; the Sarma is only available with a carbon weave?

Functionally, is one better than the other? And lastly, any other reasonable options? I've read about one other rim being only 450grams, but I believe it's neither available now nor in the same price range.

Thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
if you are willing to go to 90mm, Nextie-bike's Wild Dragon rims are only $268 and currently up for pre-order. they are still technically in pre-production though.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, $268 is a good deal. At 670 gms +/- 15gms, that's decent too. Not sure that I need the extra 10mm, since my Mukluk apparently doesn't have the chain line (??) for >4" wide tires, and my local terrain doesn't whisper for them either.

Yes, I am most inclined to go with the Sarmas at the moment. Sent them an email regarding the finish and quote on cost. I heard that the latest version is pushing 600 bucks, a couple hundred more than the original rims. I may have to think about it at that higher price.

As for the spendy stuff, I've gone down that rabbit hole with past FS bikes. Yeah stuff is nice at that stratosphere, but somehow I'm happier going down the max value route. It's just a personal thing, I guess.

·
Registered
41 Posts
How the hell have Sarma raised their prices $400 in a few weeks?

Their rims were selling at ~$830 a set and now they're at $1200.

Hey Sarma - kiss my arse!

·
Registered
456 Posts
You could balance it out by going with a tire overrated in size and 90mm rims.
There are a few tires which in actual use measure much less than their stated size.
Drawing a blank which post here had it but fat-bike.com lists tire sizes on various rims in their reviews. Using that info you can compare it to your current tire size and clearance.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know, I have to wonder with everybody else the same thought. Maybe they're flying off the shelves or maybe they're not. Though upwards of $400/rim, customer service and reputation become ever more important. Like everything else, to pay "a lot" should buy peace of mind. Would that idea apply here?

·
Fat & Single
4,127 Posts
Nexties ordered already.... i bought a set of ENVE wheels a few years back, bloody awesome wheels (and customer service) but will never buy into that ridiculous priced carbon wheel stuff ever again. Got 2 sets of light-bicycle 29er wheels and they are awesome....

There is a price to be paid for good customer service and i have experienced that with ENVE. Other vendors are yet to be tested and hopefully they are similar. I have also have a set of light-bicycle wheels replaced when i didn't even expect it so don't think that if you dole out a sh1t load of cash you get good warranty as these cheaper brand wheels are every bit as good at protecting their GOOD name.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am a very happy owner of Hed Big Deal wheels. Yes they are expensive but I don't think there will ever be lighter wheels, reliably tubeless down to 3 psi, and awesome customer service. Call them and you will always talk to a human.

·
Fat & Single
4,127 Posts
awesome customer service. Call them and you will always talk to a human.
Wait till you need a rim replaced to call the custo service awesomenessnessness. There's awesome sales talk from everyone, doesn't take much glam and schpeill to sell a product... takes some balls to back it when things go pear shaped.

Time will tell with all these carbon offerings. (not singling out HED by the way)

·
Registered
534 Posts

I just noticed that too, as I was putting together my review of them for Singletracks.com.

It makes the $1550 price for a fully built wheelset a better deal.

Either way, they are amazing and have completely transformed the ride and handling of my Fatback.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
I just noticed that too, as I was putting together my review of them for Singletracks.com.

It makes the $1550 price for a fully built wheelset a better deal.

Either way, they are amazing and have completely transformed the ride and handling of my Fatback.
But transform it more than a $600 rim set, I guess time will tell.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ozzybmx, I hear ya. You're one step ahead of me. I've also been through a set of Enves (which are great wheels no doubt), but am looking toward light-bicycle rims as the next upgrade on my 29er hard tail. There's that, plus the best-value fat bike carbon rims I can find. Seems that a lot of the latter market is in flux, so as many have said, the next several months will tell how all this shakes out.

Nexties ordered already.... i bought a set of ENVE wheels a few years back, bloody awesome wheels (and customer service) but will never buy into that ridiculous priced carbon wheel stuff ever again. Got 2 sets of light-bicycle 29er wheels and they are awesome....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts