Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've lurked about this board a couple times, drawn in by the likes of Fo'Shizzle and Aquaholic so now I'm seriouosly considering my next bike and looking at a 29er. My question is this.....Are there any inexpensive 29er FS frames available, say like under $1500, better yet even cheaper or are they all Big Name and 2K and up? Have a Trance right now and love it's suspension, but considering something different maybe towards the end of the year. Thanks for any help, names of manufacturers that make 'em etc.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Gary Fisher Supercaliber 29? I think there is a large frame on eBay at the moment. At least there was yesterday. Love mine!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick replies guys. In doing a bit of research I've come accross info that both Norco and Jamis are making 29ers, but just have to find out if they're FS or HT. The search goes on with no great urgency, just a bee stuck in the bonet and something to ponder while I am bored and browsing the great WWW.

BTW does anyone know what size R.I.P 9 frame that is on the niner site, looks like a small w/ the TT sloping so far down. Just curious if anyone has a pic of an XL frame for comparison.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I'm waiting to see what comes of Davis Carver's FS design. The bolt-on/switchable 26/29 rear is intriguing. It's an SP, btw. Don't know if that means anything to you or not, but just figured i'd mention it.

Carver site state $1K US$ (painted) when it's out.

Davis - is it "when" yet?!?!?!??!??!!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know, the MTB Devil himself, just hope I don't pick up that foolish idea he has now that a bike must weigh over 35lbs to be a real bike :nono: :confused :D
Nat said:
Oh dear god...
Think I'm sold on the R.I.P.9, also don't think I'd be interested in a single pivot bike after riding my Trance and the RIP9 having a similar suspension design.
Going to read the 29er review Francois just put up this weekend and try to further build an opinion on what I might really like.

AndrewTO said:
I'm waiting to see what comes of Davis Carver's FS design. The bolt-on/switchable 26/29 rear is intriguing. It's an SP, btw. Don't know if that means anything to you or not, but just figured i'd mention it.

Carver site state $1K US$ (painted) when it's out.

Davis - is it "when" yet?!?!?!??!??!!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha, ha too funny.

Guess we were both typing at the same time and I just beat you to posting the reply. :D Yeah I browsed that Review Francois did earlier this evening and plan to thoroughly go over it during the weekend.

So how's it going up the in VA? Thing s donw here have finally eased off rain wise and riding is starting back full tilt - 50-60 mile road ride tomorrow + 20-30 mile off road casual ride (if I'm not hosed from the mornings hill ride) 40-60 road ride Sunday. Don't forget to give me a shout before you head down next time and also don't forget to bring yours and wife's bike. So you've sen I'm headed for Leadville, think our nice little hills will get me ready enough for climbing in the US? ;)

TiRyder said:
Hey Lincoln, Hope all is well. Have you seen the shootout Francois did? Lists some of the best options out right now in FS 29er, including prices. Seems like 1500 is right on the line, if you can bump up a couple hundred, your option expand a good deal.

take care and good luck in Leadville - Rob

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/29er/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.