Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Got Mojo?
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new here. A little about me:

My bikes....tend to be steel (or in one case Ti, although after riding Ti I found I prefer good steel)

My bikes....tend to have less gears, or one gear....

My bikes....tend to have V or canti brakes.

My bikes....tend to have less Shitmano stuff and more, um, not Shitmano stuff

My Bikes....tend to have very little travel, and I have come to realize that you don't need big travel to ride tough stuff.

In general, I like to think my bikes are clean, simple and uncluttered.






A couple of years ago, I was in the market for a singlespeed frame. I knew basically what I wanted and started watching eBay. I wanted a simple steel SS frame, track ends and canti brake mounts.

After about two months of waiting and searching (nothing was coming up to my specs), I talked to my bike mechanic Carlos about it. Tired of waiting I had decided to call IF and order a SS frame.

Carlos dissuaded me from doing this. Surprised, I asked why.

He told me that if I did that the new SS would be too similar to my geared bike, also an IF. And furthermore that my body would be confused when I rode it, that my body would mix up the two bikes. He told me that each new bike should be different from your other bike(s).

I have learned much over the years from Carlos, but this is something I put near the top of the list (but not as high as "don't ride Carlos' wheel, that's a whole 'nother story).

Since then I have purchased my Ibis SS (completely different dimensions than the IF), and the SOMA fixie.

Yesterday I received the newest addition to my flock. With its 9speed drivetrain, disk brakes and long travel, it will surprise many folks that ride with me...

My bikes....just got a new friend, the Yeti 575
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
congrats!

BikeMojo said:
Hi all, I am new here. A little about me:

My bikes....tend to be steel (or in one case Ti, although after riding Ti I found I prefer good steel)

My bikes....tend to have less gears, or one gear....

My bikes....tend to have V or canti brakes.

My bikes....tend to have less Shitmano stuff and more, um, not Shitmano stuff

My Bikes....tend to have very little travel, and I have come to realize that you don't need big travel to ride tough stuff.

In general, I like to think my bikes are clean, simple and uncluttered.

A couple of years ago, I was in the market for a singlespeed frame. I knew basically what I wanted and started watching eBay. I wanted a simple steel SS frame, track ends and canti brake mounts.

After about two months of waiting and searching (nothing was coming up to my specs), I talked to my bike mechanic Carlos about it. Tired of waiting I had decided to call IF and order a SS frame.

Carlos dissuaded me from doing this. Surprised, I asked why.

He told me that if I did that the new SS would be too similar to my geared bike, also an IF. And furthermore that my body would be confused when I rode it, that my body would mix up the two bikes. He told me that each new bike should be different from your other bike(s).

I have learned much over the years from Carlos, but this is something I put near the top of the list (but not as high as "don't ride Carlos' wheel, that's a whole 'nother story).

Since then I have purchased my Ibis SS (completely different dimensions than the IF), and the SOMA fixie.

Yesterday I received the newest addition to my flock. With its 9speed drivetrain, disk brakes and long travel, it will surprise many folks that ride with me...

My bikes....just got a new friend, the Yeti 575
and welcome. You've made a little change;) .
Enjoy
GB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
crisillo said:
We count you in, GB! We just ignore those "useless" extra gears ;)
Interesting nice perspective!, but I would still love to see the SSers attacking the rock gardens on our trails at SS. You need very strong pair of legs and great technique which I don't have.
I guess in Germany all those extra gears are just unnecassery mud accumulators.
All is good;)
GB
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
GreenBonty said:
Interesting nice perspective!, but I would still love to see the SSers attacking the rock gardens on our trails at SS. You need very strong pair of legs and great technique which I don't have.
I guess in Germany all those extra gears are just unnecassery mud accumulators.
All is good;)
GB
:lol:
They are in winter... when rides are extremely muddy, but short in duration (compared to summer at least ;) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,269 Posts
crisillo said:
:lol:
They are in winter... when rides are extremely muddy, but short in duration (compared to summer at least ;) )
Speaking of Germany, I just bought my first ever German part and put it on the dinglespeed... Maiden ride to happen later this afternoon...
Check out the German engineering on the disc tabs and the dropouts. No facing necessary here... It's a bit porky though (but then again, so was the Tiger tank) at 4lbs for a 100mm fork. However, the price was right...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
flipnidaho said:
Speaking of Germany, I just bought my first ever German part and put it on the dinglespeed... Maiden ride to happen later this afternoon...
Check out the German engineering on the disc tabs and the dropouts. No facing necessary here... It's a bit porky though (but then again, so was the Tiger tank) at 4lbs for a 100mm fork. However, the price was right...
wow, what a beauty!. Forgive my ignorance but what frame is it?.
So what kind trails you'll do with her?.
Enjoy
GB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,269 Posts
GreenBonty said:
wow, what a beauty!. Forgive my ignorance but what frame is it?.
So what kind trails you'll do with her?.
Enjoy
GB
Believe it or not, it's an Ionic Ti frame that I purchased from a local bike swap for $250 (including the red CK headset)... The rest of the bike (except for the fork) were from parts I had laying around...
I built her up as the "light" SS but as you can see with the burly fork, she's gaining weight (she started off as a sub 19lb SS bike with a SID but now she's a little over 20lbs). I will be on vacation next month for a month and the bike will be my primary means of transportation (therefore the dinglespeed, 1 gear for getting to the trailhead and a lower gear for trail riding)...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
flipnidaho said:
Speaking of Germany, I just bought my first ever German part and put it on the dinglespeed... Maiden ride to happen later this afternoon...
Check out the German engineering on the disc tabs and the dropouts. No facing necessary here... It's a bit porky though (but then again, so was the Tiger tank) at 4lbs for a 100mm fork. However, the price was right...
Yeah Magura Asgard.. I have heard only good things about them.... not as plush as a Marzocchi, but great performers and the internals are very durable too...

Congrats, Flip!
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top