Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to help my parents order all my stuff for christmas this weekend. im stuck on what tires to get though. i need the tires to last long, be great for downhill and freeride and be good for loose dirt to wet. last of all it needs to be 26* 2.7, 24*2.5
thanks

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Maybe some Maxxis High Rollers.... they seem to be on clearance at a lot of places as well.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Maybe some Maxxis High Rollers.... they seem to be on clearance at a lot of places as well.
that would fit the bill, they are pretty good tires, only thing is they don't last very long. they tend to wear down rather quick and the knobs seem to rip off easily.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
JBsoxB said:
i have no idea, but i hear peopple like nevegals.
There is a soft rubber compound on the Nevegals. Love the way they perform , but don't last to long.

Try Maxxis Minions or Specialized brand.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
24 inch on the back you are pretty limited...I like the Highroller for that....a fast rolling tire

up front with 26 inch...I would run a Michelin...see if you can squeeze the 2.8 32h (runs smaller this year)...if not look into the 2.6 michy....will last a long time

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
24 inch on the back you are pretty limited...I like the Highroller for that....a fast rolling tire

up front with 26 inch...I would run a Michelin...see if you can squeeze the 2.8 32h (runs smaller this year)...if not look into the 2.6 michy....will last a long time
yeah with the 24's its hard to find the right size tire. i have seen plenty of 3;s but i dont want to run a 2.7/3.0 combo or a dual 3.o combo to much weight. i know ill be able to fit the michy cuzz i got the 888rc up front. now i just gotta find a rear

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
austinb89 said:
yeah with the 24's its hard to find the right size tire. i have seen plenty of 3;s but i dont want to run a 2.7/3.0 combo or a dual 3.o combo to much weight. i know ill be able to fit the michy cuzz i got the 888rc up front. now i just gotta find a rear
don't run the 3.0...that is ghey...for pedaling run the 2.5 highroller....lasting long go 2.7 (for steeps and maxium braking)....if you have the 3.0's and they are just sitting there...then just use those babies up and don't worry if you run a 2.8 front and a 3.0 rear.....my question is why you have a 24 inch on a Kona

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
don't run the 3.0...that is ghey...for pedaling run the 2.5 highroller....lasting long go 2.7 (for steeps and maxium braking)....if you have the 3.0's and they are just sitting there...then just use those babies up and don't worry if you run a 2.8 front and a 3.0 rear.....my question is why you have a 24 inch on a Kona
i dont run 3.0's on my kona right now, i run 2.6 kenda kolassal in the rear cuzz they were 5$ so i bought 3 and there gettin worn down quickly(not a good rubber compound to me), not to say its xmas and i dont have much else to get so i figured id ask for some. i think i might run the 2.8 michy with maybe another kenda if they still have some, or il just find the maxxis . i have a 24 in the rear cuzz i was gonna go for the travel upgrade, but i ran out of cash. if i got it for xmas i wouldnt get anything else for xmas and i dont need the upgrade at this minute. i do like the faster acceleration, i am also a fan of the raked out bike so it works for me

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Maxxis

I run Highrollers of that size. Actually, the front is 26 - 2.5 and the rear is 24 - 2.5.
Intense also makes decent 24's.

·
Registered
729 Posts
i have 2.7 high rollers now,and they are really nice,but what has already been said is true- they dont last long.

on the subject,how are the panaracer 2.4 freerides?i have the xc pros on my hardtail and they are great

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:

I have the new Michelinx X-treme All-terrain or whatever they're called, and they look pretty nice... unfortunately, they rear tire started loosing knobs after the fourth (4th!) ride, and didn't really grip well..... The front one has held up nicer.

·
Registered
683 Posts
when you guys say your tires don't last long or that the knobs rip off, what compound are you referring to?

The harder compound (60 durometer) will last longer than the softer compound (40, 42, 50 durometer), but the softer compound will grip better... Do you have problems with 60a tires?? Or just the soft ones?

I like Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 and Highroller 2.35 for the dry stuff out here.
For your wet conditions, this same combination bumped up in size would probably be good (Minion DHF 2.7 / Highroller 2.5)...

Also, not to just confuse you further, but if you are trying tires... you might want to look at the little-known-in-the-US Schwalbe : Al Mighty These look great, and they come in 24".

-sunny

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
sunnyracegirl said:
when you guys say your tires don't last long or that the knobs rip off, what compound are you referring to?

The harder compound (60 durometer) will last longer than the softer compound (40, 42, 50 durometer), but the softer compound will grip better... Do you have problems with 60a tires?? Or just the soft ones?

I like Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 and Highroller 2.35 for the dry stuff out here.
For your wet conditions, this same combination bumped up in size would probably be good (Minion DHF 2.7 / Highroller 2.5)...

Also, not to just confuse you further, but if you are trying tires... you might want to look at the little-known-in-the-US Schwalbe : Al Mighty These look great, and they come in 24".

-sunny
damn sunny, those are expensive tires!

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
hard dilema

maxxis minions are not really good wet or loose tires, high rollers perform better in that situation.

I reccomend the michelin comp 32 front tire if you want bigger than 2.5, but i would tell u to strongly consider a comp16 for the back. It has a 50a(same as kenda) compound so it sticks to everything but does not wear fast. Very good in loose/wet stuff because of prominent tread pattern. Stronger sidewall than maxxis, its kindof like a high roller on steroids. comp32 is a 2.8 (really a 2.7) and is gonna be just about the best traction your gonna get, but not many people on earth need that much tire and grip.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
shiggy said:
Look at the Arrow Racing tires. Good size selection. Generally wear well.
i was hoping you would chime in sometime. i have been looking at arrows cuase i have found places were there pretty cheap, i just dont know anythign about them il take a look at their websites and reviews. right now im thinking about the michy comp 32, and still debating the rear

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
I have the new Michelinx X-treme All-terrain or whatever they're called, and they look pretty nice... unfortunately, they rear tire started loosing knobs after the fourth (4th!) ride, and didn't really grip well..... The front one has held up nicer.
really...hard corners will eat them up like any other tire but they are all the same

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.