Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as many of you know I have a Carver 96er set up as a dual 650b mountain bike with a 145mm Manitou Nixon up front and Dual 650bs.

I also am awaiting a new frame - a 44 Bikes SnakeDriver frame that was originally designed for 29er wheels - but has good numbers to go dual 650b.

The one catch with the SnakeDriver - it was designed as either a 1x9 or single speed frame - it has no cable routing for a front derailleur.

So I'm wondering - do I set up the SnakeDriver as a 1x9 650b mountain bike and convert the Carver to more of a road-worthy/Gravel Grinder set up.

The SnakeDriver can be run as a dual 650b bike and will still have a 12" bb height and probably more room for rear tire clearance than the Carver.

Perhaps the Carver would be actually a nice road gravel grinder bike - allowing for dual 650bs and multiple front chainrings and a steeper HT angle. It is ready to take a front derailleur as is.

So I'm in a bit of a conundrum as far as which direction to go next.

Just wondering - WWYD if you were in my shoes?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with 29" wheels the bb goes to 12.75" - not crazy high but pretty high - but I guess the only way to know how it rides is to build it up -ride it and make determinations from there.

I should be looking at this as a good problem to have as this is indeed a versatile frame (and so is the Carver).

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
If you're looking to run gears on the Snake Driver you can use a Problem Solvers bolt on cable stop for the seat tube and figger out some cable routing for a front deraileur cable. I'd go take a squint at a Quality catalog at your LBS.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep - well aware of what Problem Solver I'd need too.

Frame isn't here yet so I've got time to contemplate.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Mark - I went 1x9 a couple months ago and this past Saturday was the first time I missed the granny gear, on a monster climb, towards the end of the ride.
Other than that, no regrets whatsoever.
How hilly is it where you are riding?

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our hills are sorta short but somewhat steep. from my driveway up to the dirt roads around the State Forest where I normally ride singletrack is about a three mile gradual climb however. What is your 1x9 gearing?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
11-32 w/ a 32t ring.

Probably a should have gone 11-34, but the cassette was relatively new when I made the decision to go 1x9.

Many of the the guys I ride with are SS'ers, so I can't complain about not having a low gear.;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've ran more than an 11-32 but dropped down to a 30t chainring up front and it made all the difference in the world. I can't remember the last time I used my small chainring. Here in central NY we have a lot of shorter steep climbs and very few long steady grinds. I like the idea of the 30 up front because for me its not just the top gear I look at. I look at the 30-11 vs. the 32-11 that I be spinning on the flats and such. I found that with a 30 as opposed to a 32 in the front I actually used more of my gears. With the 32 I would rarely drop down to that small cog.

But to answer your question I would build up the new bike as a gravel road grinder with larger gearing like a 34t paired with an 11-32

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
shanem said:
But to answer your question I would build up the new bike as a gravel road grinder with larger gearing like a 34t paired with an 11-32
I'd probably gear even more aggressive than that. My "gravel grinder" (La Cruz) is currently running 39/48 with 11-28 in the rear. I never touch the 48 when on gravel and the 39 is great.

·
Registered
517 Posts
88 rex said:
I'd probably gear even more aggressive than that. My "gravel grinder" (La Cruz) is currently running 39/48 with 11-28 in the rear. I never touch the 48 when on gravel and the 39 is great.
Agreed. I was thinking in terms or a 1x9 though. I would love to have a dirt or gravel road/trail bike with something like a 44-34 or 46-36 on it. You could really good on the roads and still have useable gearing on easy singletrack

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A. Nony Moose said:
sell them both, buy something else.

you KNOW that's what you're gonna do anyhow! :thumbsup:

:D
Ouch that hurts! :p

My days of wheelin and dealing are over for the most part - I think/hope.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts