Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So - tonight, I burned up my debit card and will shortly enter the 29'er world, Single Speed of course.

So, here's what the doctor ordered

-Large Astrix Rook Frame
-RST M-29 100mm fork with remote lockout (Reba's too complex for me, I prefer Tora like simplicity and the RST I got is white)
-Stans ZTR Flow rims, built with Hope Pro II hubs (rear is SS) in red, silver DT spokes, blue nips
- Geax Saguaro for the rear tire
- WTB WW LT 2.55 for the front
- 2007 Juicy 7's, 185mm front and rear
- Funn Full Throttle saddle in urban camo
- Ritchey seat post, 400mm
- Chris King 20t stainless cog
- Ergon grips with the hook thingy for SS grunt pulling

Here's what'll transfer from my current 26" SS (Nashbar frame)
- Truvativ XR race bar (flat)
- Titec Rip 3d stem
- Race Face SS cranks, 34T chainring
- SRAM PC-68 8-spd chain
- Blue Cane Creek Solos headset

I'm hoping I'll come in around 25-26 lbs max.

I'd like to run the WW and Geax tubless - however, both have folding beads. Any issues with this? I've never done tubeless.

I have not found a single review on the new RST forks but G-Ted's ridden one so should see something on his site soon. It's got the right specs, 32mm stanchions, lighter than my two Tora's, cool pearl white paint, simple air operation with rebound and a remote lockout. It'll be fine for me.

I don't know how long it'll take for the wheels to be built, I ordered all through Universal Cycles using their wheel builder online setup. BTW - Universal has a 15% off code through 31 Jul 07.

Pics will follow once I get all the stuff and put it together.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RST called me today to confirm my order and let me know that they'd ship next week. Both guys I talked to (Patrick and Alex) were genuinely concerned about good customer service as well.

I've talked to G-Ted about the RST M-29 as well - I'm anxious to read his writeup on twentynineinches.com.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The RST is $329, add $30 for the remote lockout.

I ordered it from http://rstmtbstore.com/. Got a call the next day from RST sales so communication was pretty good.

I ordered 100mm. Could not find the RST fork listed anywhere like Greenfish, Pricepoint, Universal, etc. I had exchanged some emails with Ryan from Astrix, here is what he had to say on front forks:

Thank you for your interest in the Astrix Rook. The frame was developed to
work with front fork set in either an 80mm or 100mm setting. In the 80mm
setting the frame geometry is more suited for aggressive xc racing. For all
around riding most use the 100mm setting. The frame pictured on the site is
my bike and I have been riding the Rook always with a Reba or White Brothers
forks at 100mm and enjoy the ride geometry.

The geometry changes from the data on our website to:

BB: 12.5" increase of .25"

Head Tube Angle 70.5 degrees slacker by 1 degree

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.