Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so since the early 1990s, I really wanted a Fat Chance Yo Eddy. I had a Wicked Fat Chance back then, and went with a Rhygin to replace that (all my bikes are from local framemakers :thumbsup: ). No regrets, as I still have the Rhygin and just performed a major overhaul recently. Anyway, it is increasingly difficult to find one in excellent condition these days, but I'm a patient soul. So, after finding a Yo Eddy locally, I contacted the owner, engaged in a pleasant conversation, and then immediately navigated my browser to PayPal to seal the deal.

A little history: The original owner purchased this Yo Eddy and had it built up locally back in 1993 and rarely rode it. From the serial number, he believes it's a 1992. He said it probably has less than 200 miles, with just a dozen rides or so, most of which were on pavement, and it's all original. I'm inclined to believe this as he also stated the original tires still have the nubs on them. :eekster:

Anyway, once I stop smiling and pick it up tomorrow, I'll post some photos. I have to admit I am giddy over the thought of finally having a Yo Eddy. :)

Look below for photos... :thumbsup:

·
Fat City Michael
605 Posts
I'm giddy, I tell you. Just plain giddy.

misterdangerpants said:
Okay, so since the early 1990s, I really wanted a Fat Chance Yo Eddy. I had a Wicked Fat Chance back then, and went with a Rhygin to replace that (all my bikes are from local framemakers :thumbsup: ). No regrets, as I still have the Rhygin and just performed a major overhaul recently. Anyway, it is increasingly difficult to find one in excellent condition these days, but I'm a patient soul. So, after finding a Yo Eddy locally, I contacted the owner, engaged in a pleasant conversation, and then immediately navigated my browser to PayPal to seal the deal.

A little history: The original owner purchased this Yo Eddy and had it built up locally back in 1993 and rarely rode it. From the serial number, he believes it's a 1992. He said it probably has less than 200 miles, with just a dozen rides or so, most of which were on pavement, and it's all original. I'm inclined to believe this as he also stated the original tires still have the nubs on them. :eekster:

Anyway, once I stop smiling and pick it up tomorrow, I'll post some photos. I have to admit I am giddy over the thought of finally having a Yo Eddy. :)

Here's a little teaser:

View attachment 373549
Wow, that's a nice score! :thumbsup:

You sound so happy that you might have to switch your screen name to: "misterCHANGEYOURpants"! :p

Post some more photos when you pick up the bike! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Hey nice job...I love FATS!!!!

Nowt how 'bout some shots of that Rhygin? A bit more rare than a 'Yo.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
bushpig said:
Very nice. What you really need is to find a donor bike with XT, XC Pro, Record OR or XTR for that bike!

Or just ride it as it is, it's perfectly fine with whats on it. Then replace/upgrade as needed. :D Nice find, the HOOV approves :thumbsup:

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KDXdog said:
Hey nice job...I love FATS!!!!

Nowt how 'bout some shots of that Rhygin? A bit more rare than a 'Yo.
I still enjoy my Rhygin immensely and will post some photos once I decide on what brakes it will get. Everything else is done. It certainly is far less common than the Yo, and still rides like a dream.

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sandmangts said:
Wow, that is a clean bike. All you need to do is replace some rusted bolts or just clean them with some steel wool and that thing will be showroom quality. Nice find.
For a bike that basically gathered dust for more than a decade, I'm surprised at how good it looks. The frame is just about perfect, not a scratch on it, and the decals are in pretty decent shape. The wheels have absolutely no signs of wear and look brand new. The tires (Specialized Ground Control and Ground Control Extreme), even though they also show no signs of wear, need to be replaced due to their age. The saddle also is in like new condition, which is really nice, because the Flite Titanium was my favorite saddle back when this bike was made. One of the items I'm really excited about are the thumb shifters. Super psyched to try these out again.

I had a nice long conversation with the original owner when I picked it this morning. He was happy to see his bike was going to a good home. I couldn't agree more.

·
Fat City Michael
605 Posts
I'm giddy, I tell you. Just plain giddy.

WoW, you have every right to be giddy, that is a really NICE score!
You're definitely "misterCHANGEYOURpants" as a result of picking up such a great bike. :thumbsup:

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bushpig said:
Very nice. What you really need is to find a donor bike with XT, XC Pro, Record OR or XTR for that bike!
Unlike my Rhygin, I'm most likely just going to leave this bike alone. I do have a set of NOS XC Pro cantilvers, as well as a set of XTR cantilevers in excellent shape. Might possibly change the stem to my Control Tech 0 degree/120mm. I actually purchased this bike as a way to get my girlfriend interested in mountain biking, and I think the perfect beast to do such a task. If she does agree to the challenge, then I'll be looking for a shorter stem, possibly with a higher angle, along with some riser bars. Before she gets it, I'm going to use it in the 24 Hours of Great Glenn. Gotta show it off just a little. :)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
That is one clean Fat :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Let me know if you want to get rid of those old rotten Gound Controls :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts