Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I'm getting bored, time to paint maybe?

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  yobdlog 
#1 ·
Well as the title says, I'm getting kinda bored down here - nothing new to play/tinker with, so I'm thinking of paint the Trance. I know I said I'd consider it when I got 10k logged on it or 3 years, but I'm just sh1t bored and am seriously contemplating it - just have to figure out exactly what I want to go for in terms of colour and paint scheme :confused:

#3 ·
Nothing so radical

Wasn't thinking nothng so radical and hey watch out if you go riding during hunting season on that thing :D

I think I have an idea of what I want, just need to find out if it can be done/got here on the island. I'm thinking Blue, but instead of just one blue I want 2 different colour blues - Smurfish blue and a dark blue. What I was thinking was to get a metallic two tone paint mixed using these colours, so when viewed from one angle it's light/smurf blue and from another it's a darker blue. Thinking of doing the front triangle only and maybe doing the rear another colour, maybe keeping the sliver or do raw. Would like to do the national colours of blue & yellow (yellow gold really) but not sure how it would look.

TampaTrailRider said:
I was thinking of doing to the same thing the other day, but something completely redicilous. I was thinking of maybe doing to camo scheme they put on like duck hunters boats and stuff. Figured it would be kind of cool in the florida woods where i ride.

#5 ·
Did you actually do the powder coating yourself, or did you have it done? I intend on doing the entire thing myself using 2 pak automotive paint, unless the fancy 2 tone paint requires some super fancy painting technique/gun I don't own, can't borrow.

tkblazer said:
go for it! i've never received so many complements on my bike until i repowdercoated it blue.

#7 ·
LyNx said:
Well as the title says, I'm getting kinda bored down here - nothing new to play/tinker with, so I'm thinking of paint the Trance. I know I said I'd consider it when I got 10k logged on it or 3 years, but I'm just sh1t bored and am seriously contemplating it - just have to figure out exactly what I want to go for in terms of colour and paint scheme :confused:
IMO being bored is not a good reason to start a project. But, you have been talking about painting the trance for quite a while now. Chances are, you will end up doing it anyways, so just go for it while you have the time.

#8 ·
LyNx said:
Did you actually do the powder coating yourself, or did you have it done? I intend on doing the entire thing myself using 2 pak automotive paint, unless the fancy 2 tone paint requires some super fancy painting technique/gun I don't own, can't borrow.
i had it professionally done, i'm sure it you spend the time doing prep work and wet sanding between coats it will look good. maybe search around the web for DIY car painting

#9 · (Edited)
Definitely

Can't believe anyone would ask that question of an '05 Trance redo. I didn't mind those freaky hexagons at first, but now they just annoy the crap out of me.Not sure if the graphics will be in paint or over the clear coat in vinyl to allow for easy changing - by graphics I mean the GIANT and TRANCE logo's. May have other graphics in paint with nothing to do w/ logo's :D

The Great Stonk said:
are you going to be getting new decals ?
Yeah I know it's not a real good excuse, but as you said I've been wanting to paint this damn thing for a while now. Don't have any other distraction like wife/SO, kids, dog, cat etc., just the riding.

rkj said:
IMO being bored is not a good reason to start a project. But, you have been talking about painting the trance for quite a while now. Chances are, you will end up doing it anyways, so just go for it while you have the time.
I've quite a good idea on how to paint using automotive paint, as my bro used to do body work and painting and I also helped him out a bit and have worked with it in the past to paint my old Schinn racer and a couple cars. Just requires quite a bit of patience and elbow grease.

tkblazer said:
i had it professionally done, i'm sure it you spend the time doing prep work and wet sanding between coats it will look good. maybe search around the web for DIY car painting

#10 ·
Go for it Lynx, I reckon you've got plenty of miles out of her now so warranty shouldn't be too much of an issue any more.
If I was to paint mine I was thinking a full black of some sort but don't know, I think they did a great job with the silver & graphics on the '06 Aussie model.
Seeing some of the '07 schemes it crossed my mind that it would look pretty nice with a black rear triangle & silver main frame if all the other components on the bike were black (fork etc).

Maybe matching the rear triangle & fork colours could be an idea??? With the two blues.
I don't have the skills of knowhow to play with colour schemes in Photoshop, would be nice to do & compare a few.

Certainly a pretty big project that will get rid of your boredom!

#11 ·
Certainly would get rid of the boredom - brought on by a nice twinge under the knee cap that had me "limp" home on Thursday morning from a cut short ride and then haven't ridden all weekend and will prob miss a few more days or more.

I'll get the ball rolling by visiting the local paint shops and seeing what variety of paints they have to offer and how difficult the two tone is to use. Yes I was also thinking the REBA could be due for some new paint as well and do the whole bike in a matching scheme.

energetix said:
Go for it Lynx, I reckon you've got plenty of miles out of her now so warranty shouldn't be too much of an issue any more.
If I was to paint mine I was thinking a full black of some sort but don't know, I think they did a great job with the silver & graphics on the '06 Aussie model.
Seeing some of the '07 schemes it crossed my mind that it would look pretty nice with a black rear triangle & silver main frame if all the other components on the bike were black (fork etc).

Maybe matching the rear triangle & fork colours could be an idea??? With the two blues.
I don't have the skills of knowhow to play with colour schemes in Photoshop, would be nice to do & compare a few.

Certainly a pretty big project that will get rid of your boredom!

#12 ·
you're lucky you don't live near Wheelworld..

being near WW and being bored can be a dangerous and expensive combination...Go for the paint job- its cheaper in the long run. Wait a minute, I think for a couple of hundred $ more than a paint job I can get another frame, already painted! See what I mean...

#13 ·
Dude............

..............if I was lucky enough to live close to Wheelworld I would have already bought one of their '05 Trance4's, stripped the parts of my current Trance and put onto the T4 frame and then use the old frame as a fun experiement to paint, try out some custom machined rockers etc, etc. Then bought one of their other cheap frames and put the parts off the T4 on it and have more fun - prob an NRS.

dumper said:
being near WW and being bored can be a dangerous and expensive combination...Go for the paint job- its cheaper in the long run. Wait a minute, I think for a couple of hundred $ more than a paint job I can get another frame, already painted! See what I mean...

#15 ·
Nothing PINK.........

.......is going near my Trance, unless it's a pair of pink panties still being worn by a girl (sorry to all the women on here for that comment).

NJ-XC-Justin said:
Darren Berrecloth's pink and green SX Trail in Roam was pretty sweet...

#21 ·
Why not get it anodised? It is both lighter and more scratch resistant that paint. If you get the frame polished first, it will have a high luster to it. Anodising is not a complicated or expensive process but the prep can be time consuming as it does not hide surface irregularities as well as paint.

#22 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys.......

........so what's your Fed Ex account numbers for the shipping from the Caribbean to the US to get one of the two fo these services done? :rolleyes:

yobdlog said:
If you have some money to spare - go all out.

http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/
myarmisonfire said:
Why not get it anodised? It is both lighter and more scratch resistant that paint. If you get the frame polished first, it will have a high luster to it. Anodising is not a complicated or expensive process but the prep can be time consuming as it does not hide surface irregularities as well as paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.