Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bikehard
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really but I do have a dilemma... I am building up my new 08 Spot and I am having a hard time deciding between forks. I have narrowed it down to the following...

09 Fox Talas w/ 15qr TA
RS Pike 454 U -Turn

I have never had a FS bike before and this will be my first go at top end componentry.

What are some of the advantages and dis-advantages over the other.

I am 5'7" 140 so I want to build this bike up as light as I can afford. I live in FL and ride aggressive cross country.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I would go with a PIKE. Alternatively, you could go with a Revelation with the maxle.

_MK

·
ride
5,275 Posts
You can get the Revelation with a 20mm TA in either the 426 Dual Air or the 426 Uturn Air. Both are good forks and the 20mm axle should take care of any previous concerns of stiffness.

The 15mm qr looks promising, but a negative is the lack of availability of different hubs. It's not that widely accepted (yet). There are LOTS of 20mm hubs on the market now, though.

The Pike and Talas 36 are good options if you want a beefier build. I had a Float 140 RLC qr on my Spot. It was a great match for what I wanted out of the Spot.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I'd go talas 36. It's the same weight as a coil pike and hardly heavier than the air pikes.
Definitely stiffer than the15mm talas 32. And it feels great at 130mm setting, so no problem if you choose to use it there %90 of the time.

If you go with one of the fox 15mm forks, make sure to spec a hub that can be converted to 20mm. Personally I doubt 15mm is going to go far beyond OE applications. Yeah it's stiffer than QR and lighter than 20mm.
But it's also flexier than 20mm and heavier than QR ;)

·
Bikehard
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am also leaning away from the 15qr TA due to the lack of choices for a hub. The Pike 454 Air U Turn seems to be a better fit to me after some research. I also can pickup up the Pike for about $600!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.