Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3/half years ago I weighed in at 458lbs. At the behest of my doc I started a diet-exercise program that included mtb to a large degree. I lost a BUNCH of weight but then had a bad mtb accident and was off the bike for awhile, and thus the lbs. began to creep back on. On thanksgiving last year I weighed 380lbs. and decided to take up roadbiking as well. I'm addicted to both forms of cycling now!!! Yesterday I stepped on the scales at 278 lbs., over 100 lost since t-day and 180 overall. At 6'1" i've gone from a size 60" waist to a now borderline 42". I have a goal of 220lbs. still big by mosts standards but I'll be happy. When I've reached 200lbs. overall lost I'll post before, during and after pics. Just wanted to say thanks to all involved with this site, I've learned a ton and gained passion and inspiration within its threads. :) .
JimS.
 

·
Alright, let's ride!
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
Yeah, it's great reading success stories. On 12/1/04 I weighed in at 220. After countless hours at the gym, many miles on the bike and watching what I eat I am currently down to 176 pounds. It's amazing how much better it makes you feel. Oh, I've also gone from 25% body fat down to 17% body fat. I have gotten to the point that I'm not really all that concerned with my weight, now I'm just paying attention to my body fat percentage. I'm hoping to get it down to around 12% or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,869 Posts
Nice work Big Kahuna! Welcome to the obsessed biking / weight loss club. You ought to post your amazing results and hard work on the thread I started a while back about the very same issue. You're an inspiration as the mere 100+ pounds I've dropped seem like "chump change" in comparison!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=31629&highlight=100

Keep up the good work.
 

·
Medium?
Joined
·
6,731 Posts
That sucks.

Not you, of course, I mean me. I just want to lose 15 lbs or so, but I'm weak. There are so many tasty beers, and so many yummy taquerias. I've been riding to the point of near-divorce for almost 20 years, and I haven't gained or lost 10 lbs either way the whole time. I'm in way better shape, of course, but I know one singlespeeder who'd rather haul a 180 pound body up a grunt-of-a-climb than a 195-on-a-good-day body.

Awesome job. Do you ride with Pacman much? That guy's turning into quite a riding animal. I see that he finally broke his full suspension rig and is riding SS all the time now.

You should come up here and ride with me and Big Larry. You two could share he-man 250+ bike rider stories.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you were 180

God help anyone tyring to keep up with you :p . You and pacman, and of course hollywood are way out of my league. Maybe I should try and hook up with them now, perhaps they would only have to wait 10 minutes at the top instead of 20. I would like to come up in the future, maybe by then I'll actually be down to 250lbs., and I did build a SS, just havn't been out on dirt much this year so far.
Jim S.

Fast Eddy said:
Not you, of course, I mean me. I just want to lose 15 lbs or so, but I'm weak. There are so many tasty beers, and so many yummy taquerias. I've been riding to the point of near-divorce for almost 20 years, and I haven't gained or lost 10 lbs either way the whole time. I'm in way better shape, of course, but I know one singlespeeder who'd rather haul a 180 pound body up a grunt-of-a-climb than a 195-on-a-good-day body.

Awesome job. Do you ride with Pacman much? That guy's turning into quite a riding animal. I see that he finally broke his full suspension rig and is riding SS all the time now.

You should come up here and ride with me and Big Larry. You two could share he-man 250+ bike rider stories.
 

·
34N 118W
Joined
·
2,246 Posts
good company

and how many centuries have you done now??? Much more than I. I'm sure you'd drop me now over the course of 100 mi.

Great job on the weight loss. Unfortunately (?) I represent the segment of people who are 2 lbs lighter the day after T-giving. WTF! Get that SS out and you'll be a burner like us thinny guys.

Jeff

bigkahunadad said:
God help anyone tyring to keep up with you :p . You and pacman, and of course hollywood are way out of my league. Maybe I should try and hook up with them now, perhaps they would only have to wait 10 minutes at the top instead of 20. I would like to come up in the future, maybe by then I'll actually be down to 250lbs., and I did build a SS, just havn't been out on dirt much this year so far.
Jim S.
 

·
life is a barrel o'fun
Joined
·
2,502 Posts
At first, I thought this said, "I'm down TO 180lbs....." and then I re-read it and was like :eek: !

Truly, truly awe-inspiring. I need to get my father to read this!
 
G

·
That's great. Congrats to all whose health is better off because of riding. Once you grow to love riding, you'll want to get in better shape because you can ride more.
Beats some stinky old gym.
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
Well I'd get a new bike

or 3, you've earned it! congrats.

On my personal quest to lose weight, I've ridden like he// for 12 years or so now and haven't lost nor gained a dang thing. Like Fast Eddy, too many tasty beers and the "occasional" ice cream sneak into my diet.

But I am in way (weigh?) better shape. Jim
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
JimC. said:
or 3, you've earned it! congrats.

On my personal quest to lose weight, I've ridden like he// for 12 years or so now and haven't lost nor gained a dang thing. Like Fast Eddy, too many tasty beers and the "occasional" ice cream sneak into my diet.

But I am in way (weigh?) better shape. Jim
oh dont worry about him......I am sure he has some big plans.

Hey Kahunabro, did you get that new road bike you mentioned to me?
 

·
Preemptive Revenger
Joined
·
867 Posts
Way to go BigKahunaDad!

That is truly a great story!

Welcome to a truly remarkable group: I have found the cycling community to be the most health-oriented and supportive (not to mention the most obsessive-compulsive) group of folks that I've ever been associated with. My 50 pounds lost over the last 2 years (240->190) could not have happened without this group of folks (thanks everybody!) And it seems like there are lots of us out there...in fact my story is one of the least profound ones around.

Now, speaking of obsessive-compulsive, excuse me while I go hop on my trainer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
soon

FoShizzle said:
oh dont worry about him......I am sure he has some big plans.

Hey Kahunabro, did you get that new road bike you mentioned to me?
yea, I set the 100lbs. to lose for my goal since I started riding road in nov. The specialized tarmac has been at the shop until I got to that goal. If I get done with my ride (mulholland hwy.) early enough tomorrow I'll pick it up in the afternoon, if not then next week. I'm totally stoked! :D . I need to get it dialed in before the crusin the conejo century thats a week from tomorrow. I need to get the Ventana out as well, its been callin my name lately ;) .
Jim S.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
bigkahunadad said:
yea, I set the 100lbs. to lose for my goal since I started riding road in nov. The specialized tarmac has been at the shop until I got to that goal. If I get done with my ride (mulholland hwy.) early enough tomorrow I'll pick it up in the afternoon, if not then next week. I'm totally stoked! :D . I need to get it dialed in before the crusin the conejo century thats a week from tomorrow. I need to get the Ventana out as well, its been callin my name lately ;) .
Jim S.
good for you.....how exciting. are you picking it up at Bill's Bike Shop I assume?

Let me know if you want to hit the trails....even Sycamore is completely rideable now. I just finished a big project at work today and will FINALLY be getting back into shape. It has been at most, 1 ride a week for a long time now.

cheers
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
... I've been riding to the point of near-divorce for almost 20 years, and I haven't gained or lost 10 lbs either way the whole time. ...

You should come up here and ride with me and Big Larry. You two could share he-man 250+ bike rider stories.
Great Work bigkahunadad!!! What a story! Look forward to the pics on the change.

I'm actually quite jealous. Like Fast Eddy, I very slowly lose weight and I seem to stick around 265 or so no matter how much I ride (also almost to the point of divorce). I found diets don't work (just bounce back higher afterwards) and I'm not doing diets any more. I'm instead trying to change my normal diet to something reasonable. I'm now doing weight watchers while riding regularly as usual and am finally getting under 250. Good news is I'm consistently losing a couple pounds a week.

Now that you're close to me in size, we should ride together if you get to NorCal. I'm still looking to find someone possibly slower than me.;) I just did a 45 mile epic in two days of Henry Coe (see here) and am very proud of the feat, even if I only did 1 MPH up super steep hills.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top