Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had it with Jenson. I bought a Shimano caliper from them that ended up needing service. I filled out the warranty form, then nothing for an entire month. I then opened an issue with PayPal against them and they finally replied once their money was on the line saying I needed to fill out a different warranty form not linked at their website at the time. I fill out that form and NOTHING for two months. I call them and say I'm just gonna have my CC company deal with it if they don't get it done anytime soon. They told me to send back the caliper only, not the lever as well. I do that and three weeks later they say Shimano is out of stock so they will refund me for the caliper ONLY (meaning I have a useless lever sitting around). Two weeks go by, no refund on my CC or PayPal. I email the guy TWICE who i have been responding with and no reply, just continues to ignore me. I try to call their support line and most of the options just play you a 3 minute message then hang up the phone on you. The chat button on their website is completely broken (Chrome on OS X). As it stands now I'm sitting in the customer queue choosing a phone option where they will be more likely to actually pick up the phone.

This is by far the worst customer service I've ever deal with. Worse than Comcast, worse than ATT, and worse than the IRS. I'm done with this crappy company, they used to be great but now a lot of competitors have popped up that are far superior.

Has anyone else this bad of an experience with them?

· Registered
7,693 Posts
Believe it or not, the customer service is the same picking up at will call in Riverside. I've had good service at the Corona store returning stuff I've bought through the mail.

· Pro Crastinator
12,424 Posts
Has anyone else this bad of an experience with them?
Believe it or not, the customer service is the same picking up at will call in Riverside. I've had good service at the Corona store returning stuff I've bought through the mail.
Well that's great if you live by them, which I do not. That experience is not applicable to like 99% of their customers.
apparently you don't know how to follow your own conversation...

· Registered
160 Posts
Jenson likes to sling retail parts but treat you like a wholesale customer. If you are paying retail prices, you should get retail policy which means if it isnt right, they work to help make it right. It’s a common theme amongst many online retailers.

edit: Sorry for your experience. I had a similar issue with an xd driver that I measured to be out of spec and they would not allow return because it was special order.

I was confused because out of spec is out of spec. It wasnot right out of the box and a sram oem cassette would not properly mate. I did the hard work and identified a poorly executed machining grove. Oh well, their loss, I’ve got money to spend and will chose to spend it elsewhere and inform others of their treatment.

· Evolutionsverlierer
3,109 Posts
I know how that goes all to well.

Anyway, I never had to return anything but I had a few questions and at one point changed an order which meant I was getting a refund and everything was resolved rather quickly and to my satisfaction.

OP I hope that was a one of a kind experience for you.

· Registered
2,808 Posts
I haven't worked with Jenson a lot lately. The few orders I've had from them have been pretty much without drama (correct items, etc), so I guess I haven't had to deal with their customer support in a while. My past customer support experiences with them were great though (early 2019 when I bought a bike, had to call them for a faulty dropper post, got a new one no charge, etc).

But I can say, I absolutely hate OnTrac shipping. They are the worst shipping company I've had the displeasure of dealing with. I've had them 1) deliver my package to a neighbor, 2) claim to have delivered a package, only for the guy to try to sneak it to my doorstep the next morning, 3) had shipping times be completely inaccurate (either no info, or always saying "the next day", until all of a sudden it arrives 2 weeks later).

I've been ordering from WWC, and Universal Cycles more lately, and both have been much more prompt/communicative.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clearly I was pointing out that his experience returning stuff at the Corona store doesn't apply to most customers. While I'd like to visit SoCal again, driving from NorCal to return a caliper and demand a refund puts you on the "crazy customer who may have gun" level.

· Registered
2,894 Posts
I’ve typically had really good interactions with them.

That is until my XT 12 speed derailleur clutch failed. I submitted all the information and they have been sitting on it for over 2 months and haven’t even sent the info to Shimano yet.

Last I spoke to them they claimed the warranty department is backed up thanks to record warranty requests. I informed the guy that there is a difference between backed up and negligent. Right now the warranty department is simply negligent and needs to get it addressed.

That was 2 weeks ago and have yet to hear anything new.

Thankfully I don’t need the part right now as I replaced it with an X01 AXS kit, but I still expect it to be warrantied so I can use it in the future.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is until my XT 12 speed derailleur clutch failed. I submitted all the information and they have been sitting on it for over 2 months and haven’t even sent the info to Shimano yet.

Last I spoke to them they claimed the warranty department is backed up thanks to record warranty requests. I informed the guy that there is a difference between backed up and negligent. Right now the warranty department is simply negligent and needs to get it addressed.

That was 2 weeks ago and have yet to hear anything new.

Thankfully I don’t need the part right now as I replaced it with an X01 AXS kit, but I still expect it to be warrantied so I can use it in the future.
Very similar to my experience. They are blaming supply chain shortages for their lack of communication.

· Registered
2,894 Posts
Very similar to my experience. They are blaming supply chain shortages for their lack of communication.
Hard to blame supply chain issues when they haven’t even submitted the warranty to Shimano for a replacement.

I would honestly be 100% fine with them if they submitted the warranty and Shimano was the hold up getting the part to me. I get it, some things are simply not available.

But it has been 2 and a half months and they haven’t even submitted the warranty to Shimano yet!

· Registered
2,894 Posts
I highly recommend you cut out the middleman.
yeah, I’m learning now that you can submit to Shimano directly.

It would be a much larger issue if my bike was out of commission thanks to this, but right now it’s simply annoying.

The biggest issue, since I went X01 AXS to replace this derailleur, now I want AXS on everything…

· Registered
160 Posts
WWC and UC have been good to me but as always, things can change. I have a pair of WWC riding shorts with a “lifetime” warranty that I’m confident I’ll wear holes in before my life ends. I’ll be curious how they respond when I submit a claim.

1,065 Posts
FWIW you can warranty stuff directly with Shimano. You have to pay shipping to Irvine, but apart from that, it works flawlessly. (I had a bad XTR pedal axle, and they sent me a whole new pair of pedals, even though I would have been quite happy with a simple repair. There was about a month of silence, and then one day the new pedals appeared at my doorstep.)

· Older than I feel
1,907 Posts
But I can say, I absolutely hate OnTrac shipping. They are the worst shipping company I've had the displeasure of dealing with. I've had them 1) deliver my package to a neighbor, 2) claim to have delivered a package, only for the guy to try to sneak it to my doorstep the next morning, 3) had shipping times be completely inaccurate (either no info, or always saying "the next day", until all of a sudden it arrives 2 weeks later).
I've had FedEx do #1 and #3 locally in the past few months. Especially late deliveries. Anything that gets delivered from their Newark CA facility is going to be late, and how late is anyone's guess. It could have shipped from Reno, normally a next-day delivery for most carriers, and it'll still vanish from tracking for a week.

Everyone has horror stories about all the express companies. But I've been seeing a lot of local folks with the same complaint about FedEx.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FWIW you can warranty stuff directly with Shimano. You have to pay shipping to Irvine, but apart from that, it works flawlessly. (I had a bad XTR pedal axle, and they sent me a whole new pair of pedals, even though I would have been quite happy with a simple repair. There was about a month of silence, and then one day the new pedals appeared at my doorstep.)
Definitely gonna do that next time. I had to pay shipping to Jenson as well and now I have a useless lever sitting around that I paid for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.