Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride XC, I even got a road bike recently:eek: , but I loves me some DH! I ride XC with my friends from work, they beat me climbing, but I leave them behind heading down. But they still don't seem to understand DH.

They admit "Matt is much faster than us heading down" <-- and I'm nothing special in the DH world. But they still don't see it as a "real" sport:madman: I keep suggesting they need to spend a lift access day with me...but only our summer intern has taken me up on the offer. Some of the guys were trying to tell her to buy a 5" bike to replace her hard tail so she'd be able to ride some lift stuff, but then be able to do some real mountain biking too...XC. She still bought a used Stinky.

Come on XC folks (directed more to those NOT on mtbr), there are more DH'ers who ride XC and/or road than the other way around, give the dark side a try:devil: You may like it.

·
Out Of Control
244 Posts
I trail ride at least 3 times a week. Absolutely love it....I can hold my own on any of the front range stuff. Nothing as is strenuous as a pinner DH run. It's not for everyone that's for sure and maybe that's why they don't consider it a "real" sport. They my friend have no clue and hopefully will never understand...haha.

·
<100%
683 Posts
One problem is perception - the perception of danger....and I am not sure the perception is incorrect. Take Sol Vista last weekend as an example. When two people much more skilled than I come out with broken wings, it makes me think twice. I am thinking of a new bike. Do I want an Enduro, a Demo 8, or a new XC bike (all three actually but big reality check there). Shawn and Chris' mishaps last weekend make me question the Demo 8 option. Maybe I should just get an FS XC bike and get out there and get some exercise, have some fun, lose a pound or ten and not put this old body at risk of life and limb.

Another problem is the bike. My $800 hardtail is on it's 10th season with minor and inexpensive parts replacements. Riding DH it seems you go through a lot of big $ replacement parts.

Gear...another barrier to entry. I spent enough $ on protection for my son and myself to buy myself a new hardtail (shoes, knee/shin, crash pants, body armor, goggles, helmet, gloves)

Ga$oline and Lift Ticket$.

DH is very fun but it's hard on the bike, hard on the body, and hard on the wallet.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have seen some skilled riders get broken bones off landing on loose stuff and off slightly skewed landings. Just too much risk and not enough reward for me though I totally understand why some riders love it. I don't knock it at all but have little interest in it.

Give me epic trails...the higher and longer; the better. The one thing I do appreciate is that it helps develop a better ability to launch off heights and keeps you safer (well- unless you go nuts and seek bigger and bigger launches).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Brother I hear you! I was visiting a friend in OR last year and we had the oppty to ride a semi-private DH/Freeride area (did it on my BLT with eggbeaters), and although I sucked, I was hooked.

Got back and bought a DH bike. Tried getting some of my riding friends here to go and only got funny looks. Did several trips up to Keystone - separated my shoulder. out for a month. But I was back out there by the end of the summer (still sucking it up but still trying).

I havent been back up this year, but I took a class with Lee last week because I want to be better.

·
Registered
773 Posts
BlueMountain said:
I have seen some skilled riders get broken bones off landing on loose stuff and off slightly skewed landings. Just too much risk and not enough reward for me though I totally understand why some riders love it. I don't knock it at all but have little interest in it.

Give me epic trails...the higher and longer; the better. The one thing I do appreciate is that it helps develop a better ability to launch off heights and keeps you safer (well- unless you go nuts and seek bigger and bigger launches).
All true but you could go ride the blue DH trails and have no higher risks than most of the front range XC stuff

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jsj3831 said:
Do I want an Enduro, a Demo 8, or a new XC bike (all three actually but big reality check there).
If I only could have 1 bike, I'd make it my 6" Enduro, it is my XC bike anyway (that's right, I have a 34 pound "XC" bike), and it can handle 75% of the stuff at SV or Keystone.

·
Ricky DH
2,249 Posts
The first time I headed up to Keystone I was HOOKED! The next season I bought myself a used Super 8. It's more than a rush, it's an addiction. Riding at full speed, at the edge of control, catching air and letting the suspension suck up all the rocks and bumps is where it's at. Don't get me wrong, I ride XC and I can climb with the best of them, but my true passion is DH.

You ride at your own speed and ability level. You cover yourself head to toe with armor and protective clothing. I've had a few bad crashes, and they are always the ones that take you by surprise, jack you up and you're like "How the hell did that happen?". So yeah, it's dangerous but I also have heard of guys riding XC getting eaten by cougars. (And I don't mean the cougars at Cool River either.) :thumbsup:

As far as durability of parts and such. I've got a 2003 M1 that I've been riding for 3 seasons (Had a Super 8 for the previous 3 before that) and it's more the little things that you need to replace. A chain here a roller there, maybe some new tires here and there. I just don't find it that hard to keep on top of. Hell, the gas to get to WP and Keystone is what's going to kill my finances this season.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moustache rider said:
I plan to give it a try. Monday I bought my new "give it a try" ride.
Reign X, excellent choice:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
"Nothing is as strenuous..."

jrok said:
I trail ride at least 3 times a week. Absolutely love it....I can hold my own on any of the front range stuff. Nothing as is strenuous as a pinner DH run. It's not for everyone that's for sure and maybe that's why they don't consider it a "real" sport. They my friend have no clue and hopefully will never understand...haha.
Take your lightest DH rig and bust out a time trial up Belcher, up the Belcher singletrack to the bench at the top, do it in under 40 minutes. Let me know how strenuous you thought it was.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SkaredShtles said:
All cycling is either recreation or transportation.

None of it is a "sport"...

:D
Some one (probably on these forums-Full Trucker?) said that once they make a special shoe for it, its a sport!

·
enlightened.
1,494 Posts
DHing is a different kind of strenuous.

xcguy said:
Take your lightest DH rig and bust out a time trial up Belcher, up the Belcher singletrack to the bench at the top, do it in under 40 minutes. Let me know how strenuous you thought it was.
I've done hill climbs, 12 hour, centuries, dirt crits, short track, cyclocross, and XC races. They're all hard in a slightly different way. Flinging a 45-50 lb bike down rocky sketch terrain while trying to go as fast as possible will exhaust a person. I'm not fast but when I really push a DH run (I'm still really new at it) I am panting at the end. DHing has given me better confidence and handling skills as I'm able to concentrate on one specific skill set. Think of Dhing like any other specific training i.e. interval training, hill repeats, base miles; they suit a specific purpose and will make you a better cyclist.

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
Ithnu said:
Some one (probably on these forums-Full Trucker?) said that once they make a special shoe for it, its a sport!
The only problem with that theory of mine is that it includes GOLF as a sport. Ah well, back to the theory-drawing board...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ithnu said:
I keep suggesting they need to spend a lift access day with me...but only our summer intern has taken me up on the offer. Some of the guys were trying to tell her to buy a 5" bike to replace her hard tail so she'd be able to ride some lift stuff, but then be able to do some real mountain biking too...XC. She still bought a used Stinky.
Oh...Summer Intern...???!!!!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.