Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In talking to different people at my local bikeshops, I am getting some different answers to my questions about the Surly Tuggnut.

I understad that the main purpose of them is to keep the wheel from sliding forward in the dropout, but does it also act as a sort of guide to get your wheel back to the exact location it was in before you removed it? Nobody has a tuggnut to show me and I can't tell from the picture on the Surly page.

Could someone explain exactly have these things work or point me to a place that can?

Thanks

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Well

Tuggnuts and the like are handy for a number of things:

1. They make it really easy to tension the chain, no more trying to pull the wheel back and tighten the axle nuts at the same time.

2. They prevent the wheel from sliding forward during mashing.

3. They open beers (some of them, surly included)

Typically, I have not had good luck leaving them in a 'tensioned' position during wheel removal, often I will loosen the tension to allow the chain to come off the ring, to give enough room to get the wheel out of the frame.

They're also handy for wheels with quick releases, and to keep from having to really torque on the axle nuts.

I'm sure there are other uses, but I live a sheltered life, so you'll have to get them from somebody else.

Plum

·
Combat Wombat
1,751 Posts
Yeah, what he said.

Plum said:
Tuggnuts and the like are handy for a number of things:

1. They make it really easy to tension the chain, no more trying to pull the wheel back and tighten the axle nuts at the same time.

2. They prevent the wheel from sliding forward during mashing.

3. They open beers (some of them, surly included)

Typically, I have not had good luck leaving them in a 'tensioned' position during wheel removal, often I will loosen the tension to allow the chain to come off the ring, to give enough room to get the wheel out of the frame.

They're also handy for wheels with quick releases, and to keep from having to really torque on the axle nuts.

I'm sure there are other uses, but I live a sheltered life, so you'll have to get them from somebody else.

Plum
Although I do have pretty good luck with using tuggnuts to get the wheel back to the right position after removing, but that is because I use Paul hubs and can remove the axle bolts. This lets me drop the wheel straight down instead of having to back it out of the dropouts.

Brian

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Plum said:
...Typically, I have not had good luck leaving them in a 'tensioned' position during wheel removal, often I will loosen the tension to allow the chain to come off the ring, to give enough room to get the wheel out of the frame...
The Surly is not great for this because it lacks a locknut. I use the Redline.

The main reason I use them at all is for the easy wheel replacement and not needing to adjust the chain tension every time. You just need to loosen the axle nuts enough to get the tugs clear of the frame. Not a big deal.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shiggy said:

The main reason I use them at all is for the easy wheel replacement and not needing to adjust the chain tension every time. You just need to loosen the axle nuts enough to get the tugs clear of the frame. Not a big deal.
Awesome! Those look like what I will be looking for if I get a frame with track fork ends, which is looking more and more likely.

Looking at the pictures, I see the bolt goes through two tabs. So, if I understand what I am looking at correctly, the one opposite the head of the srew slides as you turn the srew, and the tab is braced against the back of the track fork ends?

·
... I guess you won't be
1,971 Posts
you really cant underestimate the beer cap pulling capability of the Tugnutt....get your priorities straight!

beer takes total priority! thus sayeth the SpokeDrunkie!

That said, I have a Tugnutt on the drive side, and a RocketParts "tugnut" on the disc side of my 1x1, and I infinitely prefer the Surly one, since you DON'T need an allen wrench to fiddle w/ the adjuster! Whenever I need to take my wheel off, I unscrew the axle bolts completely off the frame so I can remove the adjusters w/out gacking up how I had them set....the RocketParts w/ the locknuts is the one I constantly have to mind since the locknut screw is soo wimpy and loosens at a slight breeze....garbage!

get two tugnutts!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
kapusta said:
Awesome! Those look like what I will be looking for if I get a frame with track fork ends, which is looking more and more likely.

Looking at the pictures, I see the bolt goes through two tabs. So, if I understand what I am looking at correctly, the one opposite the head of the srew slides as you turn the srew, and the tab is braced against the back of the track fork ends?
In use:

Attachments

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
you realy don't need one

and you definitely don't need two.
it's easy enough to put your wheel on straight without them and it should stay in place without them,although I have heard lots of slipping wheels posts,not sure why

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Rock Lobster

KgB said:
and you definitely don't need two.
it's easy enough to put your wheel on straight without them and it should stay in place without them,although I have heard lots of slipping wheels posts,not sure why
I use one on my Rock Lobster and the Steamroller. I like my wheel secure, and I like the notion that after a hard day of riding and sheep wrangling, I can go home, and open up some micro brew.

All it takes for the Tuggnut is a little bit of tinkering if you remove the wheel. Slap it back on, get the feel for the chain, look through the disc brake pads, you're set.

I guess with SS riding, there's some complexities, but that brushes off when you ride off to fight the Romans

·
Registered
386 Posts
kapusta said:

yes you are correct they work great i have a quick release(shimano xt) on the back of my monocog and the tensioners make it a snap to get the wheel alinged and keep it in the right place for many many rides. as for beer a responsible drinker will get the beer open with anything, hell my dad used to use his teeth :yikes: when i was a kid. however the tuggnuts sure do look schnazzy

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
shiggy said:
I'm not sure why your Surly tugnuts may be slipping, but mine never have. If you really need a lock nut on them, you can get a pair that same thread (and go stainless steel) at the hardware store for 40 cents. Then you will need a little wrench to crack them loose on the trail if you ever need to adjust. That's the beauty of the Surlys, no tools required, and if the blue lock-tite wears off, you can just squirt a little more on the bolt's threads, they won't move after it dries. I like the Redline tugs too, but having to go to the truck or CamelBak for a bottle opener really kills it for me. The Surlys are a little heavier, but well worth it when thirsty post-ride, plus they have a nice set of reducers included if you want to use a QR rear skewer, and they don't slip with a QR either if you set them up correctly.

One point to Redline for being so affordable, but one point to Surly for being so versatile.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Another vote for Surly tugs.

Brought the bike on a vaca over the summer. Didn't have a bottle opener in the room, but I did have my Surly.

My wife didn't think bringing my bike was a good idea (short vaca w/ lots of family), so it felt good that she had to use the Surly every time she wanted a Corona :)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
paqrat said:
A little tip -

Shimano SPD pedals open beer bottles..
They probably only open crappy beer like Budweiser or Coors. Ya gotta use a Tuggnut for the good stuff. If you ride with Shimano pedals, you probably shouldn't be drinking beer since you don't have much sense to begin with. I'm not sure if Eggbeaters will open beer bottles or not, but you can mix cake batter with them if necessary.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Budweiser and Coors are twist tops, not needing a bottle opener. Any respectable SS'er would know that. I prefer beers that need an opener - Fat Tire, Full Sail, Heineken.

Quit trolling under the influence.

·
2,093 Posts
I like the surly tugnut

It works flawlessly. I give it a 1/2 twist before and after wheel removal for chain tension. the bottle opener is a plus. Did you know you can actually wedge a cap in a chainring to open a bottle also. Works great if you don't have the surly tugnut.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info, y'all. I ordered a pair of the Redline chain tensioners. $11 for the pair (thanks for the tip, Shiggy).

Once I realized that Sierra Nevada is twist top, I figured I'd be OK.

Kapusta

·
Look at the time!
1,144 Posts
Thor29 said:
They probably only open crappy beer like Budweiser or Coors. Ya gotta use a Tuggnut for the good stuff. If you ride with Shimano pedals, you probably shouldn't be drinking beer since you don't have much sense to begin with.
Time ATACs open any beer :thumbsup:
Most BMX pedals work, too. Damn, i don't even drink beer..

I'm not sure if Eggbeaters will open beer bottles or not, but you can mix cake batter with them if necessary.
although the bearings will probably seize up afterwards

1 - 20 of 28 Posts