Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'll notice I didn't say "I'm coming to Arizona, where should I ride," which you have tried to cover under the Sticky Vistors check here first. OK. I did. Not much info on Tucson. I'm looking for good single track that can be accessed by bike from around the Williams Center. I don't mind a few miles of dodging cars if the trails are worth riding when I get there. Also, if anyone wants to play guide, that would be cool.

Also, are there any good bike shops near that area where I could rent a bike? The wife wants to fly and airlines want a small fortune for bicycles. I'm working on driving, but that may take a lot of convincing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
531 Posts
you talking about williams center off of broadway blvd? nothing really close to ride from there. id suggest giving fairwheel bikes a call for rentals. i think they have specys and treks. the MTBR/AZ forum is really more of a phx people talking about poop and arguing about 29ers and DHers forum. tucson people tend to post on tucsonmtb.com and just come here for entertainment. unfortunately TMTB went down a few hours ago but it will pop back in soon and im sure you will have no problem finding a guide in there. when are you hitting town?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Arizona Cyclist has a shop at Williams Center, I don't know if the rent though. Fantasy Island is prob the nearest spot. I'm not sure how far it is though maybe 10 miles from Williams Center.

@Blue, I have never been able to get to tucsonmtb for some reason. Tells me I used my IP address illegally

·
Administrator
11,805 Posts
yeah williams center is pretty much in the center (geographically) of town. Fantasy island as previously mentioned is the east side trail that gets a lot of use and Starr Pass is the west side trail.

Might be worthwhile to consider driving to the trail heads, save yourself an hour of riding on the roads and dodging snowbirds, college students and minivan drivers.

When are you coming BTW?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it's the Williams Center near Broadway and Craycroft Blvd. I'll be in town from 3-29 thru 4-3. My kid is in a baseball tourney and I need to keep training for the Mountain States Cup that starts the following weekend. I've done the 24 hr in the Old Pueblo twice and love riding in the desert. I'm still working on selling the whole driving v. flying thing, which would help with needing to rent and having better vehicle access.

Thanks for the info so far.

P.S. (OT) Anyone know where the Cherry Fields are? I'm assuming it's a baseball complex somewhere near the Williams Center.

PPS Aren't most forums just people talking poop about stuff they don't know poop about?

·
Registered
531 Posts
i know there is a big park with sports fields south on craycroft a few blocks. im sure someone will be willing to snatch you up and bring you to a fun trail while you are here. maybe azepicmutantnonhumanunstoppablecreature will come and load you and your bike onto his back and shuttle you to the 24hop course.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sked said:
Yeah, it's the Williams Center near Broadway and Craycroft Blvd. I'll be in town from 3-29 thru 4-3.
You'll be staying about 5min from where I live. Would be more than happy to hit up Star Pass and FI(if you really must), of course 50yr is always great. Also, could hit up Bugs Spring on Mt. Lemmon, if it's not snowed under. Check out TucsonMTB.com, there's some great local trail info there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry,
I WAS WRONG (it's late and I read it wrong). He's GOING TO Tucson . . .

Yeah, you HAVE TO ride Fantasy Island! ! ! SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not much climbing, but good "flow," and lots of twists and turns. One of my Favorite Trails in Arizona!

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
phichibri said:
Sorry,
I WAS WRONG (it's late and I read it wrong). He's GOING TO Tucson . . .

Yeah, you HAVE TO ride Fantasy Island! ! ! SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not much climbing, but good "flow," and lots of twists and turns. One of my Favorite Trails in Arizona!
Don't listen to him. Stick to Starr Pass, 50-year, Reddington and lower Mt Lemmon.

·
Plus size jersey model
1,250 Posts
Sked your best bet if you are going to be riding from that area is Starr Pass. I have GPS files pretty much from there to Starr Pass if you want them. I ride from home (just down the street from there) all the time and have a few good 35-40 mile loops you can do. If you bring the car then 50yr, AZT, and some Lemmon stuff are great as well.

·
suvlako
543 Posts
Before people go 'telling" you what you need to ride, eh em BW ; ), maybe we should find out your style of riding, FI has it's merits... What kind of rig you ride/would like to ride. I should be around and if I am not, my wife could show you around to some of the Tucson classics. So let's start with where you are from and what style of riding you like? Az cyclist will let you demo a bike, ask for Ryan. or Fairwheel. Those are the only two peeps I will let near my bike.

Art

·
Plus size jersey model
1,250 Posts
Art is right maybe we should ask what kinda of riding you are looking for though I did assume he wanted longer XC rides since he mentioned getting ready for Mountain States Cup. They probably do have DH races also though so maybe he needs to train for those. :D Also what Art said Fairwheel and AZ cyclist are the only two shops I trust my bike to be left at. Ryan at AZ is a really cool guy and so are the guys at FW.

P.S. Art I still haven't got a chance to get out and ride with you guys. Maybe soon I can hit up Bugs on a Friday with you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is all great info. Thanks!

I normally ride a FS (4" travel) and like pretty much anything. I need climbing work, but also love flowy single track. I normally ride Colorado Front Range trails around Golden and Boulder. Most of it is straight up the mountain - 1 to 1.5 hr climbs - and then back down. Plenty of rocks, short drops and switchbacks. I race CAT 1 so long and techy is not really an issue. Time could be an issue for getting in really long rides.

Fantasy Island does sound like a must ride. I saw some info about that on the visitors read this first thread. The only question that remains is the $20 State Parks Pass. Is there a one-day option? Is that for cars and if you ride in you can get by without it? The second approach works at a lot of parks here.

·
Plus size jersey model
1,250 Posts
I have stated this many times on here and I know some people don't agree with me but don't waste your time riding Fantasy Island. You probably wouldn't even get 800ft of climbing if you did two laps out there. Its a fun ride once a year if you live in Tucson but if you are visiting there are 20 trails around that are better. As far as the pass goes I have never had a State Land Permit and don't plan on getting one and as of now have never been asked for one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to be clear:

Definitely XC, endurance.

I just realized this is still almost six weeks away. Bummer! At least I'll get to ride some dirt. Trails around here are usually still snow-covered and/or too muddy at the end of March.

Can't wait.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.