Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
i can spill the beans now....

it was specialized and they needed a sale rep in morgan hill.

i sent the hr my resume. he and the hiring manager looked it over and decided i did not have the experience for the job:mad: but im not really surprised.

oh, to the all the people that made comments about me not using SHIFT and stuff, its a bike forum so i dont care if i sound smart lol

even though im probably not....
You're right, you're probably not smart. The funny thing about that is it usually doesn't matter. In the real world, successful people often aren't the smartest people, but they do know how to work hard.

Specialized HQ is in Morgan Hill. They're looking for a regional sales rep, not a floor sales associate like you'd find at a normal bike shop. It's not a big surprise you didn't get the job - there are people with many years of experience working in the industry who apply for jobs like that.

You really need to learn how to wrench. Your ability to flip bikes is limited by your lack of knowledge. Since knowledge is free, go buy a set of tools and get started. Door-to-door bike service may work well too, since you already have a client base.

Year before last I made over $10k flipping a handful of bikes in my free time, probably 2 hours per week average (aside from my 40hr/week job.) The only difference between you and me is that I had the motivation to teach myself how to work on bikes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
You're right, you're probably not smart. The funny thing about that is it usually doesn't matter. In the real world, successful people often aren't the smartest people, but they do know how to work hard.

Specialized HQ is in Morgan Hill. They're looking for a regional sales rep, not a floor sales associate like you'd find at a normal bike shop. It's not a big surprise you didn't get the job - there are people with many years of experience working in the industry who apply for jobs like that.

You really need to learn how to wrench. Your ability to flip bikes is limited by your lack of knowledge. Since knowledge is free, go buy a set of tools and get started. Door-to-door bike service may work well too, since you already have a client base.

Year before last I made over $10k flipping a handful of bikes in my free time, probably 2 hours per week average (aside from my 40hr/week job.) The only difference between you and me is that I had the motivation to teach myself how to work on bikes.
i knew their hq was in morgan hill. that is one reason why i was so excited to apply. im moving to the bay area very soon. i would have taken any sales position they had. im not one bit surprised that i did not get it. i just thought i would try.

your right. it would be beneficial for me to get better at working on bikes. i do pretty well for concidering what little i know about wrenching.

nice job making 10k off of this. iv done a tad over $1600 profit in the last 5 or 6 weeks. i really enjoy doing it.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
nice job making 10k off of this. iv done a tad over $1600 profit in the last 5 or 6 weeks. i really enjoy doing it.
That's awesome. The market in the Bay is ridiculously good for flip opportunities - you could do well out here if you start educating yourself on how to wrench.

Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Consider public utilities. In the water/wastewater field all the publications are talking about the "silver Tsunami".The average public worker is in their late 50's.I am 55 and myself and all my coworkers are set to retire in 10 years or less.In California there are 14,000 certified water treatment/water distribution operators. There are 37 million people in Cali.Do the math,there are going to be a lot of openings.I went to junior college at night while wotking a day job and finished in 3 years.The pay is very good and the benies cant be beat.I have been in this for 11 years and make 6 figures.If I can do that I know other people can.And to make it even easier if you are going to college for water technology classes you can get an internship for 20 + hours a week at $15 hour.Every intern I have seen that was motivated has been hired.Any questions please feel free to PM me, I would really like to see some of the younger crowd get into this industry.

·
monster member
1,083 Posts
im 17. i graduated high school as a junior 2 months ago. im not going to college.
i buy and sell used bikes on craigslist and im really good at it. iv even built a clientele of people who call me sometimes to see what i have. im good at selling stuff. i really love bikes and riding. i want a job at a bike shop so bad. i cant work on them. i really suck at it. i applied for a few retail positions at trek just now. all the way from san jose to st.petersberg florida. i dont think ill get any of them because im only 17 with limited experience and i spelled proprietor wrong . i said im a "Sole Propietor" :madman: i suck

i dont know the point of this thread is. just wanted to vent:mad:
Someone probably said it already, but I'll mention again...

The economy blows right now, and probably will for the next few years. Better time than ever to go to college. And, if you think long-term, you'd probably like to own your own business sometime. If you can graduate with a useful major, get a decent job, then, in a few years you should have flexibility to start a small side business and still have health insurance, etc., from your steady job. You can always ditch the steady job once your own business was bringing in enough money.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't understand why everyone thinks college is the only way to get an education and a good job.

I agree that a down economy is a good time to bolster your current skills but if your jobless or on the verge of it strapping on tons of debt from a college probably isn't the best thing.

All I'm saying is you don't have to go to college to be a success.

Successful People Who Didn't go to College « Overmanwarrior's Wisdom

I thought this article by Forbes, while old, was interesting

Five Reasons To Skip College - Forbes.com

For, in truth, most professions--journalism, software engineering, sales, and trading stocks to name but a few-depend far more on "on-the-job" education than on classroom learning. Until relatively recently, lawyers, architects and pharmacists learned their trade through apprenticeship, not through higher education.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
I'm curious, what was your average turnover on each bike ?
I averaged 150%+ ROI on the bikes I sold, which ranged from $200 to $1k in profit. I always bought low and sold way under market, so the bikes sold quickly.
I know guys who go to auctions and make 300-400% in profit, but I don't have the time, space, or capacity to do that. I stuck mostly with high end mountain bikes, and I tried to buy stuff that fit me so I could ride it for a while too :).

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Thank you to everyone who put up with my awful grammar and immature nonsense 10 years ago. I ended up moving to San Francisco shortly after this post and obtained my real estate license several months later. I've had a fruitful career in residential sales and am a Peninsula home owner. Since 2011, I've learned how to use capital letters and proper punctuation. I'm grateful that I followed my heart and stayed out of debt while building my life. It cracks me up to read all these recession-era comments about the terrible economy. In 2021, our biggest economic problems seem to be inflation and the labor shortage. I have not logged in here for quite some time but found this old post in my history, and thought it'd be fun to post an update. If you made it this far, sorry for wasting your time. I on the other hand, am very amused. LOL

·
Registered
21 Santa Cruz Chameleon
158 Posts
this entire post screams 'GO TO COLLEGE'

my .02
I spent all of about 3 weeks in community college to appease my family. After dropping out I started working. At 43 I'll put my paycheck up against anyones and have 0 student debt. I was making pretty close to 6 figures before most of my friends even graduated and took on their 55k a year jobs. If OP likes working with his hands there are plenty of trades that can be learned, union jobs, etc.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I spent all of about 3 weeks in community college to apprase my family. After dropping out I started working. At 43 I'll put my paycheck up against anyones and have 0 student debt. I was making pretty close to 6 figures before most of my friends even graduated and took on their 55k a year jobs. If OP likes working with his hands there are plenty of trades that can be learned, union jobs, etc.
Having done the college route, I think the trades are a great career option. A lot of my subcontractors make more money than I do.

·
Registered
21 Santa Cruz Chameleon
158 Posts
Having done the college route, I think the trades are a great career option. A lot of my subcontractors make more money than I do.
Absolutely. There are, union trades, utility companies, public works, county and state jobs, etc. Many still have pensions too. I feel like no one wants the jobs where you get a little dirty anymore.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts