Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Banned
773 Posts
I work for a local union and i could almost guess I have more money in the bank than you. I have been a journeyman for 8 yrs. I pay for everything cash, I didn't go to college either..... Put that in your pipe and smoke it
Jump to many conclusions? Sounds like you should put the pipe down, take a break.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Learn to work on your bikes so that the ones you're flipping have modest improvements made and are tuned up when sold. There are youtube videos that can get you started without any cost except for time. Most importantly, take internet advice with a grain of salt and go out there and do stuff.

·
Registered
723 Posts
To the woe is me people. Jobs are out there, sometimes you gotta move, take less pay, suffer a bit etc.... But most of us consider ourselves too good to stoop to that level. Just let the government save us and blame China on our problems.

To the O.P., dude you were smart enough to graduate H.S in 3yrs. Please pursue some sort of higher education, it doesn't matter if it's mechanical engineering or carpentry. Learn a skill/trade, no one can ever take that from you. It may not be worth 30-45k right now, but it in 20 years it will be invaluable.

·
Big B's Trails
1,762 Posts
I'm a general contractor(owner of Manning Construction) with no college exp. and a HS drop out.... and my recommendation would be go directly into the field you want to be in. In your interview, express your desire and willingness to be in that field, any employer worth his salt will see your desire and will hire knowing he can train/ mould you to his ways. I can't count how many college degree havin' fools apply for remedial jobs with us because their degree hasn't amounted to jackshiznit... and they're in debt 10's of thousands if not 100's of thousands of dollars for that degree. I also typically won't hire guys with college degrees because they tend to "think" they know everything because they went to some college yet in real life/practicality they can't perform. Just my .02 from real world experience...

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
...and my recommendation would be go directly into the field you want to be in. In your interview, express your desire and willingness to be in that field, any employer worth his salt will see your desire and will hire knowing he can train/ mould you to his ways...
truth /\

in my experience success is pretty much based on how well you play with others.

and your willingness to 'pay your dues' in any entry level position.

* this coming from a guy with a BFA in Illustration who has been a web dude since '94 *

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
To the woe is me people. Jobs are out there, sometimes you gotta move, take less pay, suffer a bit etc.... But most of us consider ourselves too good to stoop to that level. Just let the government save us and blame China on our problems.

To the O.P., dude you were smart enough to graduate H.S in 3yrs. Please pursue some sort of higher education, it doesn't matter if it's mechanical engineering or carpentry. Learn a skill/trade, no one can ever take that from you. It may not be worth 30-45k right now, but it in 20 years it will be invaluable.
well my plan has been to get my real estate license in San Francisco. im supposed to move in the fall. but, id much rather get the job im now trying to get. he said he would call me after he looked at my resume and talked to some people. im going to call on friday if he does not call me. im just going to have to sound as confident as i can. its kinda scary talking to the hr of such a huge company that i think is so cool lol.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Anyone know the average income of a high school drop out, high school diploma, and bachelors degree? Sounds like we have some on mtbr.com that are the exception to the rule but you need to think long term. If the economy picks up will you have a better opportunity with a high school diploma or some further degree?

Find what you love and get specialty training in that field is my advice.

·
Big B's Trails
1,762 Posts
Anyone know the average income of a high school drop out, high school diploma, and bachelors degree? Sounds like we have some on mtbr.com that are the exception to the rule but you need to think long term. If the economy picks up will you have a better opportunity with a high school diploma or some further degree?

Find what you love and get specialty training in that field is my advice.
let's just say mine ....puts me in a shitty tax bracket

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I recommend the book "The Millionaire Next Door." It makes some very interesting observations about our assumptions regarding college education. In America an industrious person can definitely do very well for themselves without a college degree. College isn't the answer for everyone and it does not need to be. A large percentage of students don't end up pursuing a career in their major and In my opinion many students come out of college brain washed into thinking just like their professors without any practical skills. In my opinion this hold true especially for those students who decide to major in one of the soft sciences because that is what happened to interest them when they were college age.

·
Big B's Trails
1,762 Posts
I recommend the book "The Millionaire Next Door." It makes some very interesting observations about our assumptions regarding college education. In America an industrious person can definitely do very well for themselves without a college degree. College isn't the answer for everyone and it does not need to be. A large percentage of students don't end up pursuing a career in their major and In my opinion many students come out of college brain washed into thinking just like their professors without any practical skills. In my opinion this hold true especially for those students who decide to major in one of the soft sciences because that is what happened to interest them when they were college age.
^^^good advice^^^ and a good read

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Credible
I work for a local union and i could almost guess I have more money in the bank than you. I have been a journeyman for 8 yrs. I pay for everything cash, I didn't go to college either..... Put that in your pipe and smoke it

Jump to many conclusions? Sounds like you should put the pipe down, take a break.
I think there are many opportunities in the trades. You just have to research what type of trades are big in your area! There will always be things being built. On a side note I don't use a pipe! Lol I have not done that in many years. I work for reputable companies that drug test

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I think there are many opportunities in the trades. You just have to research what type of trades are big in your area! There will always be things being built. On a side note I don't use a pipe! Lol I have not done that in many years. I work for reputable companies that drug test
...and then if you get to a point where you work for yourself you can do exceedingly well if you put your heart into it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
a college education isn't everything but it definitely helps landing a job- a lbs may not care but many corporations do. i graduated with a pyschology degree and started in a basic customer service call center job at 26k 12 years ago. the company i work for now hires the same role for 33k. not bad. i think i'm doing pretty well in my current job (at the same company). of course it all depends on what jobs are available in your area.

yes, the job market is horrible right now but you're better off finding a job when you have a degree- regardless of what anyone thinks about them being overrated.

another option some mentioned is a trade and something they cannot offshore to another country- the rn route someone else said is a great idea. nurses are always needed- you can even have flexible hours and many options for work! obviously, you would need to be interested in that type of work. also, look into hvac and electrical work.

it's so hard to make a decision at 17, 18, 22, 23 (when you're done with school- hs or college) about what you want to do for a career. my wife graduation with a communication degree and wanted to be in corporate america- she was great at it and made good money, but got burnt out- she then when back to school at 33 to get her masters in special education. she's now a teacher and loves it.

bottom line, do what you enjoy but also think about and speak to others about the job market and what's a good job for the future. working at a lbs is a good gig to learn about bikes and get some nice discounts but i don't know about how much they pay to make a living. i'm guessing you are living at home currently- come up with a plan for what you plan on doing for more serious cash later on in your life.

i like the idea of getting a resume together and having someone proofread it. if you want, pm me and i can give some tips and take a look at it. i'm in hr in an hr company and always willing to share my $.02.

thanks for listening to me ramble.
ez

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Write a resume and have someone proof read it or use spell check. Hang in there, times are tough, means you have to be resourceful and try harder than the next guy or gal. Meanwhile sign up for corses at the local community college.
This post is spellcheck irony gold! Keep em koming AZMTNS!

/kidding of corse
/oops did it again
/lol
/love my mtb buddies:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The "trades" suffer the highest unemployement rate in the country, "good living" my ass. :nono:
Agreed! My old man is a carpenter/home builder, he is very good and still struggling for work (most of his projects now are repeat customers) Most of his competition doesnt have any work.

To the OP, Ive worked 7 or 8 summers full time for my pops all through high school and college. The money is good at this stage in your life but there isnt a whole lot of work in the trades at this time.

The only advice I have is that education is your key to the future. If a 4 year university seems too expensive then try looking into a 2 year degree or a niche degree such as x-ray/ultrasound tech

Or try to land a job that doesnt require a degree, only certification such as a pharmacy tech.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Did I hear something about a "real estate license in San Francisco"? Dude, you are seriously on drugs. Everybody and their grandma would love to buy and sell houses in SF. Imagine the commission when you can barely get a decent place for less than $800,000. If you're gonna fantasize, at least try to be a rock star, famous actor, or super special athlete.

I'm definitely with the anti-college crowd here. I have a mechanical engineering degree and although it's made me a bit of money here and there, I wouldn't do it again based on the current cost of a degree and the ongoing collapse of the global economy. Plus, any job where you sit in front of a computer all day just plain sucks. It destroys your health and your sanity. Maybe I should put this evil thing down and go for a bike ride...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't sweat the College thing... I have some very successful friends that never went to college.

Look at Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg... Well they went to college and dropped out but either way.

Maybe you should look into getting a LLC and start your own bike shop... Just curious how you buy old beat up bikes and resell them without fixing them up...
Both also scored 1590 on their SAT test...

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Did I hear something about a "real estate license in San Francisco"?
Yeah...I was going to mention this part. Real estate around here is not a great idea.

I just need to say again that "trades" does not mean only construction. There are other "trades" out there. Construction is not good right now.

On the other hand, there are plenty of trades in manufacturing that are in high demand. I recommend that you first try your hand at fixing bikes to get the hang of mechanical skills. If that is too hard then you might want to pass on manufacturing.

I went around to all of the bike shops in Santa Cruz looking for a job when I was sixteen. I had the ability and the love for bikes, but nobody gave me the time of day. Then a friend asked me to work for him sweeping floors at his machine shop. I was fascinated by all that is possible in a machine shop. You can make anything!

From that point, I got on-the-job training. You could call it an apprenticeship. I learned things that they won't even try to teach you in a trade school. I did things that I didn't know were hard, including too and die work. I stuck with it and now I own a machine shop.

Maybe you should just poke around some local shops and see what is going on. There may be one that needs somebody to just clean up. You could get your foot in the door and learn a lot along the way.

BTW - I have a high school diploma packed away somewhere. Nothing more than that.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
i just want a sales oriented job. i really am good at it. im just mad because its so hard to find somebody to give me the time of day.

and as far as the real estate license in san francisco things goes, iv been learning about real estate for a long time with my dad who is a really good agent. he was a damn fine one is sf, and is a good one in hill billy idaho. so i learn from a legit agent. i know its a VERY hard place to do it in, but their is no reason why i cant try if i cant get a sales rep job for a bike company or something.

and i do want to thank all the posters who gave me genuine advice, instead of just saying im screwed if dont to go college

41 - 60 of 96 Posts