Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im 17. i graduated high school as a junior 2 months ago. im not going to college.
i buy and sell used bikes on craigslist and im really good at it. iv even built a clientele of people who call me sometimes to see what i have. im good at selling stuff. i really love bikes and riding. i want a job at a bike shop so bad. i cant work on them. i really suck at it. i applied for a few retail positions at trek just now. all the way from san jose to st.petersberg florida. i dont think ill get any of them because im only 17 with limited experience and i spelled proprietor wrong . i said im a "Sole Propietor" :madman: i suck

i dont know the point of this thread is. just wanted to vent:mad:

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Write a resume and have someone proof read it or use spell check. Hang in there, times are tough, means you have to be resourceful and try harder than the next guy or gal. Meanwhile sign up for corses at the local community college.

·
BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
602 Posts
Might want to ask if any shop needs any bikes build for back to school to get your foot in the door. A lot of shops, around Christmas and Back to School will hire to build bikes. i worked at a shop that paid per bike and we'd race to see how fast we could build them. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
im 17. i graduated high school as a junior 2 months ago. im not going to college.
i buy and sell used bikes on craigslist and im really good at it. iv even built a clientele of people who call me sometimes to see what i have. im good at selling stuff. i really love bikes and riding. i want a job at a bike shop so bad. i cant work on them. i really suck at it. i applied for a few retail positions at trek just now. all the way from san jose to st.petersberg florida. i dont think ill get any of them because im only 17 with limited experience and i spelled proprietor wrong . i said im a "Sole Propietor" :madman: i suck

i dont know the point of this thread is. just wanted to vent:mad:
this entire post screams 'GO TO COLLEGE'

my .02

·
Live 2 Ride
6,107 Posts
We have a college here in Oregon that teaches nothing but how to work on bikes and build frames. Tuition is pretty affordable.

United Bicycle Institute

·
Nickel Havr
1,177 Posts
Don't sweat the College thing... I have some very successful friends that never went to college.

Look at Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg... Well they went to college and dropped out but either way.

Maybe you should look into getting a LLC and start your own bike shop... Just curious how you buy old beat up bikes and resell them without fixing them up...

·
Registered
679 Posts
marketing/general business degree is a saturated area. good luck getting a job unless you know some people.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,107 Posts
For what? To end up being in complete debt and still making as much without the degree? Have you been looking for a job lately? I have and there is nothing out there.:mad:
Going to have to agree. Not even fast food is hiring. Stuff is going to hit the fan pretty soon if the economy does not pick up.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
marketing/general business degree is a saturated area. good luck getting a job unless you know some people.
he is young, then market will come back, he can easily adapt as he learn to what the market may become. College is a hell of a lot better that what others are doing at his age. Even part time will help him, get his foot in the door , find out what his "true calling" in life may end up being.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
For what? To end up being in complete debt and still making as much without the degree? Have you been looking for a job lately? I have and there is nothing out there.:mad:
This.

I have a bachelor's and an MBA, and several years of valid experience, and I am looking at positions now making about $20,000 a year LESS than I was making before I got my MBA. :madman::madman::madman:

What about trade school? Or find a sales position. There are a lot of companies that don't care about college for sales jobs. And the fact you are enterprising enough to eek a living flipping bikes makes you interesting.

Some places you might look for sales jobs (might have to work into one as entry level)- Banks, advertising sales (television, print, outdoor, internet, etc...), cars, etc...etc...

If you don't do sales, I would look into trade school.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and as was asked above. How do you flip bikes without being able to work on them? Or do you just low ball when buying (buy low and sell high)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Work to live, dont live to work. Do what you enjoy doing. Its scary to think about starting a business but take a couple of business classes or just sit in on a few classes if they are big lecture halls the professors wont even know you are there and soak in some business sence then start your own llc.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,107 Posts
Military sounds like a good option. It would pay for school.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Military sounds like a good option. It would pay for school.
I would expect the military to start cutting back, there is likely to be budget cuts, a troop draw down in two theaters of operation and an economy that swells the ranks of the military. They are probably going to start getting pretty picky.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts