Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DFL
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated 5/1/14

My son is 11 years old and about 57" tall. I posted in another thread about frames, and settled on a Performance Ascent 14" aluminum frame. The primary reason is cost and it has V brake bosses. Keep in mind some of this is from the mids 90s and some from about 2002. The rest of the parts are either new or take offs from my 2 month old Niner ROS 9.

Bars: Answer Expert

Stem: Truvativ 40mm

Grips- Bontrager Sport lock on

Fork- Rock Shox Tora 318 Solo Air 100 mm(2007)

Headset-Chris King(2002)

Crank- Acera With a 30t N/W

BB-recycled XT square taper. (2002)

Brakes-Deore LX V brakes and levers.(2002)

Drivetrain-SRAM X7 10sp 1X10

Pedals: Wellgo platforms

Wheels-Deore LX hubs laced to Campy Stentho rims.(1995)

Tires: Bontrager XR-3

If anyone had advice I'm all ears. I'm going to do most do the work myself with my son, but there is some stuff like switching over the BB and the headset cups I'll have to take to the LBS.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.

·
ilmfat
1,316 Posts
BB tools are fairly cheap and nice to have.

headset tools, well, that depends on how often you're going to deal with em. shops will generally charge $10 for an install, and $5 for removal. i was lucky and got a sette headset press from pricepoint. they no longer carry them, tho.

i generally do 4-5 bikes a year, so it was a good investment to get the headset tools, but if i was normal, id just take the frame and headset into the shop.

check out:

Velocity cranks - Bombshell LLC

you can find bmx cranks cheaper, but those are 110 bcd 5-bolts, so 34t is smallest chainring.

looks like you're doing it right, yo! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If anyone had advice I'm all ears. I'm going to do most do the work myself with my son, but there is some stuff like switching over the BB and the headset cups I'll have to take to the LBS.

You can make yourself a homemade press quickly and cheaply. I've made a few tools from home depot. Pvc pipe is also good for pressing in crown races and old qr axles can me modded into a bushing/bearing press.

http://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/diy-headset-press-755439.html

·
DFL
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up going a little more nuts than I planned, but then who doesn't?:D

I bought a set of Answer XC bars and a Truvativ 40mm stem. And probably the biggest thing was I bought new brakes for my bike, so my Hayes Hydraulic Discs are going to go on his bike. I'm planning of getting a set of Deore Disc hubs and relacing them to the rims I have already. Unfortunately I'm not going to build it myself. My schedule this week is full, I'm out of town next week, and the following week I have no free time either. I want to get this thing built so we can go out and rode together, so I'm going to have my LBS build it while I'm out of town. The only other thing I'm a little unclear about is the tires. I have Conti Trail kings on my bike, but I don't think he needs something that agressive. What's a good tire the will be grippy enough for a 100 pounder.

·
ilmfat
1,316 Posts
I'd look into some kenda small block 8s. Peeps seem to like em.

I was lookin at parts for my kids bikes and ended up somehow "accidentally" having mikesee build me gordos laced to hope hubs.

So don't feel bad on the brakes. ;)

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Good thread. Let me know how is works out.

Doing the same here for my boy. Got a cheapie XS aluminum frame to hang some parts on. Might be till the end of Spring 'till it fits him.

What nice is I'm going to be able to use a lot of my old 26" stuff. Still have a few xt, Mavic 317, V brake wheel sets lying around. Those hubs never die. Tons of old 26" tires. Various stems, BBs, cranks, brakes, levers, seats, etc...

After almost 20 years of mountain biking I've built up a warehouse of old parts that should work well for a kid's first real mtb. I've got 2 kids that might fit on an XS by the end of the summer.

·
DFL
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's done! I updated the first post with the final build sheet, now I need to sit down and figure out how much I really spent on this dang thing. it really came together nicely I think. I was rationalizing with the mgr at the bike shop that did the work, and I came to the realization that even thou I spent a little more than I wanted to, he has a bike with a great base that will grow with him for the next few years. The only thing I'll have to replace as he grows is really the stem and bars, until he out grows the frame. When that happens I'll build him a nice 29er.

Here's a crappy picture in the garage.

And one of his test ride.

I have to work this weekend, so next weekend we are going to head out to Charlotte next weekend for a father/son weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.