Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which bike gents?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I gotta pee
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i promised myself LONG ago i would never post a "what bike" thread, but here i am smack dab in the middle of a decision. So any input would be much appreciated. I ride a lot of different terrain, from fast rocky, to flowy jumpy freeride trails, to single track on my DH bike. Current bike is a Transition Blindside, fox 40 yadda yadda yadda. The frame is too small for me so it's time to upgrade.

The options

1.) V-10 with a CCDB
2.) TR-450
3.) Yeti 303r-DH

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You put them together because you can get them for a good price? Because I don't really see why would one have trouble deciding between 303r/tr450 and a v10 with a ccdb. They are as far apart as 2/3 downhill bikes can be. Tell us what you expect from a bike, not what trails you ride and try to be specyfic now a Darren Brown kind of description that fits 99% of the population ;)

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
Have you riden a non single pivot frame? How do you like it? Do you want a poppy or glued frame?

If it were me out of those three I'd choose the V10, but if it were me my list of choices would be different and probably not include any of those frames.

·
I gotta pee
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The main thing on frame choice is the ability to test ride the frame. I have ridden all 3 of these frames, and a session would have been a choice if i didn't think that honestly i would be having to replace the frame due to dents. I'm not a super smooth rider, i do crash, and hard.. VPP feels amazing from what time i have spent in the saddle, and YETI's linear rail takes a lot of the single pivot ramp out of the discussion, which is why i love that frame as well. And being that i own a Blindside and a Bottlerocket, and all the hype, the TR-450.

Now as far as what i expect from a bike?

1.) beter square edge absorption than the blindside
2.) Decent small bump, yes shock can help i know
3.) Ability to jump decently, i don't need a dj bike, but i race Sea Otter and my local trail is very jump orriented

Those are the important ones

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
For me personally, after going from my old session 77 (RIP) to the lucky, I will never go back to a close to BB located single pivot.

The lucky rear suspension simply owns the session in every way, the way it brakes on steeps (compared to chattery sketchy feeling on the SP), the way it devours almost everything in its path, the way the rear end now makes my fork feel bad on both small bump and big hit performance.

However, it does take more effort to jump, that is if you want to "pop" and maximize air time, if your aim is to minimize air time and clear the jump as fast as possible (race) then its great because it absorbs so much you can just fly into them at mach silly and do ok :p

I imagine the V10 would be similar to the lucky... Its a tough choice, some people ride SP's go to VPP or FSR, hate it, and go back to a SP, some never look back and wonder why they didn't change sooner!

·
Registered
28 Posts
which steed?

I ride an M6 with a double barrel....

For various reasons, I wouldnt consider the V10. Without getting too technical I will leave it at the following: Too high of a BB, not slack enough, felt dead when riding it, doesnt jump at all, and they are a dime a dozen. It felt decent through rock gardens at bootleg canyon, that is my only positive comment about the bike

TR 450.... im not sure about the bike, but I hope there is no connection to any type of 4 stroke MOTO bike in the name cause that would be retarded. I have a CRF 450, and a mountain bike has no business referencing moto in the name since they are so different. (Anyone can feel free to clear up what the 450 is referencing)

303R felt closer to the style of the 951(I owned one, with a CCDB and Sold it). The major difference, and it is everything, is the 303 didnt ramp up like the 951. The 303 was instantly natural feeling and a great bike. Its not an M6 with ability to rail corners, but this would probably be my next choice for a DH bike after the M6.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Bmt67Stang said:
303 didnt ramp up like the 951.
that would be because the 303rdh is designed to have a linear ratio as to make it possible to decide exactly how much ramp you want, where are the 951 is designed to ramp up sharply towards the end of the stroke to give it a bottomless feeling supposedly.

and i voted for 303rdh because its the only one out of the three is have decent time on and it felt great, and like bmt67stang did say it feels like a very natural bike to just jump onto, which will probably lend a hand towards building confidence quickly and stopping you loosing decent riding time because you don't feel comfortable. but don't get me wrong, it will also be a very good bike in the long term as the characteristics of the bike are so changeable from the stock set-up you can go in any direction.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Bmt67Stang said:
TR 450.... im not sure about the bike, but I hope there is no connection to any type of 4 stroke MOTO bike in the name cause that would be retarded. I have a CRF 450, and a mountain bike has no business referencing moto in the name since they are so different. (Anyone can feel free to clear up what the 450 is referencing)
What does that have to do with anything? So you dont like what the name of the bike may refer too...I dont see how that would make it a poor choice between all 3 bikes?

As much as I'm never been a fan of Transition bike, I think I'd go with the TR 450.Just seems right on paper and from what I heard.

That said, I think that bike would best suit my riding style and the trails around where I live but Ive never ridden one before. Even if, it doesnt mean it would suit YOU right ? :thumbsup: Hence the reason why you've probably never wanted to post a tread like this before. In the end, you'll be the one on it and you want to make sure its a right match before YOU buy it. ;)

V-10 are surely more easily accessible to test ride out of the bunch, I'd start by doing that if you can and if you like, dont look no further its a proven bike.

BTW, Im still rocking my year old Session 88, spent 80+ days in Whistler, havent stopped riding since the park closed , the bike is still solid as a tank, dent free and a lot of fun to ride still...

·
Registered
28 Posts
tuumbaq said:
What does that have to do with anything? So you dont like what the name of the bike may refer too...I dont see how that would make it a poor choice between all 3 bikes?
Ok ok, I was being cynical in my statement, and i agree that is not a reason to completely discredit the quality of a bike or not; however, its lame if the name has any connection to the MOTO world. PS, I did mention I have no experience to give anything with value.

·
slow reeezay
153 Posts
still consider the session. I have a 2010 and its absolutely fine.

Everyone on here likes to have a moan about 'weaker' modern bikes yet i'm seriously hard on my kit and ive no problems!!!

added to that Treks amazing warranty (always there to help and its 3 years!)

Keep the session in mind dude I had a choice of all the frames youve listed as well as intense/evil and i couldnt fault the session...............

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i say tr450, then the yeti.

reasoning:
light, simple, burly on both bikes. I'd take the transition over the yeti because it's a bit more maintenance free (no need to worry about the rail), and it's a really good company IMO. geo numbers look just about right, and you can't go wrong with a linkage driven single pivot. that, and they look sick.

reason to go for the yeti: adjustable geometry gives you a bit more flexibility, especially at somewhere like fontana, where the courses change often enough to justify a geo change from time to time.

also, iirc the yeti's pivot is a little higher up than the 450's, so that should equate to a bit more rearward axle path and better square-edge performance (shock rates aside)

I'd steer away from the V10 for everyday riding. based on my experience on the M6 (another xtra long travel VPP bike), it doesn't jump well, it doesn't like to be juked around too much, it just wants to go in a straight line down the hill (which it does amazingly well). not exactly the best type of bike for socal riding IMO.

hit me up this weekend and I'll gladly talk DH bikes with you. :thumbsup:

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,801 Posts
As far as the Session...Internet e-riderz shouldn't determine what you buy. Nobody is building 12 lb dh frames anymore. A local pro has thrashed his Session all year and it's held up fine. Still riding it too...

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
essenmeinstuff said:
For me personally, after going from my old session 77 (RIP) to the lucky, I will never go back to a close to BB located single pivot.

The lucky rear suspension simply owns the session in every way, the way it brakes on steeps (compared to chattery sketchy feeling on the SP), the way it devours almost everything in its path, the way the rear end now makes my fork feel bad on both small bump and big hit performance.

!
come on I have been saying this for years...the horst link is way better then the single pivot

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.