Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may recall I was searching for a fork for my Highline to replace my '06 66SL.
I decided to collect some opinions from da peeps on which way to go.
I got a surprisingly large amt of input.

Now I realize a whole thread for the decision seems like a lot, but I got a LOT of great advice.
More importantly, I also got several very generous offers of loaners and material assistance.
I gotta say the Bro-mers really are a kind bunch of people. I'm most grateful.

Soooo...

I picked the brand cauze I'm a zelot.
As for the number of crowns, That was quite a debate.
In the end, I decided to go with the vast, overwhelming, clear consensus.

It wasn't a quick decision:

But I was able to see my way thru to a bipartisan solution:

That did not compromise stiffness:

And yet is a solid bridge:

That preserved turning radius:

So basically I did what any true Homer would do when faced with two great choices...

Attachments

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
What you 3 said :D

Rene I re quote my own quote, Zilla has set the new std for stds throwing money @ something! it may not make you a better rider! but at least he's trying to stimulate the economy :D

You're incredible Zilla :thumbsup:

Now stop with the pussing around and give us some decent shots, like some slabs on the stair case! full metal jacket fork pics no nancy half tank top shots or belly button only shots, like Ssinga gives we want the fully monty!

Send the Mrs packing for a gin night, get mounting the 888 throw down some duff beers so we can have some HL shots with a real fork tomorrow :thumbsup:

Oh ps congrats!

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,528 Posts
If you decide you like the 888 I'll gladly take the 66 off your hands for a small handling fee.

I can't quite tell, is the the 1.5 version?

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, okay broadsides:

(There's the Avy Jay!) :D

Stepdown:

And on deck:

I do have a couple of questions about the 888,
- Can I use my Thomson X4 stem or only a bolt-on?
- Is it a big deal swapping springs or is it like other Zokes, pop the top and reach-on in?
- It looks like I can fit this on with my CK headset and still have plenty of stanchion above the crown. Zoke says the max stack height is much lower. Is this a hard number based on safety/physical assembly or is it an estimate of where they thought the upper crown would fit?
This is an XL HL with 6" head tube.

I already have a CC DXC zero stack headset on order with Chad @ Redbarn. I'll probably start with that that, but I'm curious... I may mix and match and use the CK lower cup. with the CC up top. Also have a gold Azonic bolt on stem coming. :thumbsup:

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
ugly, but whatever makes you happy. :)

integrated stem in nice, I never liked regular stems on DC's just because it seems like they stick up so high.

Now get out there and do some nose first landings! :D

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
eee
Bikezilla said:
Let's just say I was made an offer I couldn't refuse! :thumbsup:

Well deserved no doubt Zilla, like mtb123 said you are BA I bow to you :D

Good to see laid out dude, looking good, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I'm so over white, I'm actually liking the grey :thumbsup:

Airwreck how can you not like these too!

Ps agree with AW on the integrated stem on the 888, keep the Thom on the 66, get a Zoke integrated for the 888 its so stiff you'll wonder what the heck ya been missing front wheel landing actually be come fun, its very noticeable stiffness wise, ya wonder how much stiffer things can get but they do! Enjoy the fun Big guy!

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
if ya have enough steerer left, ya can run a x4.

i dunno.

hard sayin for sure but it looks like yer gonna run outta stantion tube pretty fast without the zs hs. only a fit or some measurement time will tell. just watch that lower limit line.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Now the important question; what combination of black, gold and red will these be refinished with?

You just bumped the threshold for potential lawn darting up significantly.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
[QUOTE='Zilla in that other thread]Price is a consideration too...[/QUOTE]
I guess not, huh? ;)

Looks awesome, you're gonna love that 888.

Spring swapping should be pretty easy, you're pretty handy.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.