1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
A bike shop will probably have ParK general purpose water proof grease

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I can't think of what you'd likely have around the house that would work well. You want waterproof grease, as used by mechanics of all sorts.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Is that what I should get?
Can I use something else? From around the house?

Thanks!!
Bacon fat works OK.......the best way to do it is to cook the bacon on a Foreman Grill. Let the fat drip into the plastic collector plate and let it cool of approximately 14 minutes.

Apply liberally on the treads, making sure you get it between the knobbies and wipe the excess.....

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
If you have bears or aggressive squirrels in your area, using bacon grease may end tragically.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
TwinBlade said:
I have never put any grease on any of my pedals. Why does this need to be done?:confused:
To prevent galling. Pretty much all threaded contacts use some type of 'adulterant' - grease, anti seize or lock-tite.

To the OP, you can use some Moly (molybdenum) grease from your auto parts store.
They come in big ol' tubs and cost waaay less than anything you'd find at the bike shop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
osmarandsara said:
Bacon fat works OK.......the best way to do it is to cook the bacon on a Foreman Grill. Let the fat drip into the plastic collector plate and let it cool of approximately 14 minutes.

Apply liberally on the treads, making sure you get it between the knobbies and wipe the excess.....
I can't tell if you're serious or not....

·
I hate rock gardens
261 Posts
highdelll said:
To prevent galling. Pretty much all threaded contacts use some type of 'adulterant' - grease, anti seize or lock-tite.
That makes sense. Especially given that a lot of the time, nowadays, you have steel threads being screwed into an aluminum crankset. Generally, the 2 do not mix well over time unless one does as you say.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
The only thing to avoid is a grease with lithium. It's there to improve heat resistance, but can damage rubber and plastic parts. Won't matter for pedals, but there are a lot of parts of a bike that need to be greased, so you may as well get something you can use for your hubs and suspension too.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
A tub of axle grease or a tube of marine-grade grease(the blue stuff) from an auto parts store or walmart works. I use it to repack wheel and headset bearings, too.

·
Underskilled
4,749 Posts
I am sorry, but we are just talking about something to stop threads bonding.

Surely any grease will work fine, including stuff from your kitchen.

I know kitchen stuff is not a perfect solution, but we are not talking lubricating bushings on a suspension fork.

I would say anything oily would do the job, wax etc etc.

loctite or threadlocker would be best, but this is far from the most important area.

·
turtles make me hot
11,603 Posts
Go to the hardware store and get a can of NevRSieze. It'll last you the rest of your life.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
I did a trail side pedal swap this weekend and used vaseline lip therapy on the threads.
:cool:

The stuff works pretty well actually, especially in cold weather. It's viscosity is really temperature sensitive, and it turns more oily in the heat, but still good enough to keep the pedals from seizing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts