Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone...
I'm currently just coming off the back end of the downhill state series where I live and I am quite disappointed in myself, I came last by a long shot. I have a downhill bike but I am held back by my lack of skill and my fear of heights ( and jumps ) I would love for anyone to give me some tip as I am desperate in trying to get better.:confused:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Well, the first question to be asked is where do you feel you suck most? Turns, jumps, maintaining speed, technical/rocky sections, just too timid, etc? What features make you feel most scared? Do you find yourself having to pedal all the time? Also, where do you ride? How old and what class do you race? Where do you race and practice? That kind of info might help us know what to say, rather than a broad 'plea for help' post.

If you came in last by a long way, you are going to have to work really hard to do better, so be prepared to step way out of your comfort zone.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Overcoming fear is a tough route to go. Racing DH is all about having complete confidence in every section, that's why it's not for everyone. If you're having to fight thru fear you're gonna end up feeling stressed out and not really enjoying the racing experience. I've pretty much given up on racing now for that very reason, even though I've had some good results.
If you're determined to improve though, find some riding partners that are better in the sections that give you trouble and ride with them. Watch what they're doing and practice, practice, practice...

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
Hi Everyone...
I'm currently just coming off the back end of the downhill state series where I live and I am quite disappointed in myself, I came last by a long shot....I would love for anyone to give me some tip as I am desperate in trying to get better.:confused:
Keep riding and have fun.

·
Professional Troll
2,607 Posts
Ride with people better than you, and...just ride. DH is just like any sport or activity. It takes time and practice. There is no magic. The younger you start, the better.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,972 Posts
take a class with betterride.com this will get you skills to be a better rider faster

·
My arm hurts a little
1,471 Posts
Hi Everyone...
I'm currently just coming off the back end of the downhill state series where I live and I am quite disappointed in myself, I came last by a long shot. I have a downhill bike but I am held back by my lack of skill and my fear of heights ( and jumps ) I would love for anyone to give me some tip as I am desperate in trying to get better.:confused:
Find a trail you can ride non stop every day. Memorize everything about it master everything. Take those skills to another trail and so on. Practice!

The balls thing...that's something you have to find for yourself. You just have to let go. Some people can't and that's not a big deal. It's not for everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts