Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just as the heading says I'm a 27 year old pro athlete, that is an amateur when it comes to mountain bikes and knowing the differences in brands of mountain bikes. I used to ride a titus, but thus sold it and am looking for something suitable for me. I'm willing to pay $6000 to complete my dream bike. The problem I have had is when I go to local bike shops, they each distribute different brands, ( trek, yeti, santa cruz, ect. ) SO when i ask about the competition brands they each chose their own product, which i understand but doesnt help me get to the bottom of which bike is best for me!

I do have experience riding and have rode the following bikes ( trek haro titus ) but these were all mid grade bikes, and just didnt satisfy my hunger for a more beastly ride!

I'm an mma guy that is looking for a full suspension bike that can take a beating, climb, and BOMB hills. pretty much just a beast of a bike that I can throw around and is ready for any kind of action that is thrown at it.I also use my bike to get to the gym which is road work up too 20 miles round trip.

I understand the 26in seems to be the size of the past, but I feel the 29er is just too big for me to throw around, SO whats your input on the 27.5 ? and how all the wheel sizes compare to each specific bike brand such as ( suspension, peddling, balance ) pretty much specifics ?

I've been doing my own personal research and am interested in the following brands,But my question for you is, which bike do you think will be the best throw around climber bomber, and rider bike for an athlete like myself, If theres any other brands i may have missed in my list below please feel free to tell me what brand you would think would suite me.
santa cruz?
trek remedy 27.5
Yeti Sb66, 26 or 27.5?
specialized ,

I'm leaning more towards the yeti sb66 and the trek remedy...

Thank you, Like I said Im an amateur that is just looking to be put on the right bike !
im looking forward to hearing your opinions! :cool:
Jesse Barrett

·
Registered
329 Posts
read the reviews of the camber expert evo and it will be very hard not to buy it. If you want more of a race bike get the epic.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Honestly, if your budget is $6k, then you've got loads of options, expands you horizons. Personally I'd also tell you to take look at the Banshee brand and either the Spitfire or Rune for 26"/650B wheel options and the soon to be released Phantom or Prime for 29" wheel options. Other brands to consider are Rocky Mountain, Intense, Transition, Knolly, Turner, Ibis.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You sound like you want just one bike to do it all and you have the $ to throw at it to make that happen. An earlier poster linked to the Mach 6 review in the recent Compar-O, but I would recommend reading the whole review. It sounds like you're looking for an Enduro or All Mountain (AM) bike, and that review compares many of the big names. MTBR seems to almost never have anything negative to say about any piece of equipment, but in this case I think it's quite possible that they're all pretty great bikes, they just have different personalities.

As others have said, it's pretty unlikely you'll spend that much on a bike and be unhappy with it as long as you choose the correct 'type' of bike (e.g don't get a XC race bike or a DH bike).

Other things to look for, given your budget and desire to "BOMB hills" would be: a dropper seatpost (either specced with the bike or reserve some of your money to install after market); the right fork for you, RS Pike gets talked up a lot, but I don't know enough about forks to recommend one over the other, but they are one of the most expensive components on a bike so if you can find one with a fork you like to begin with; most people seem to like Shimano brakes over SRAM (aka Avid), I have Shimano and like them, never used Avid, but based on recommendations, I would try to stay away.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hi,

Just as the heading says I'm a 27 year old pro athlete, that is an amateur when it comes to mountain bikes and knowing the differences in brands of mountain bikes. I used to ride a titus, but thus sold it and am looking for something suitable for me. I'm willing to pay $6000 to complete my dream bike. The problem I have had is when I go to local bike shops, they each distribute different brands, ( trek, yeti, santa cruz, ect. ) SO when i ask about the competition brands they each chose their own product, which i understand but doesnt help me get to the bottom of which bike is best for me!

I do have experience riding and have rode the following bikes ( trek haro titus ) but these were all mid grade bikes, and just didnt satisfy my hunger for a more beastly ride!

I'm an mma guy that is looking for a full suspension bike that can take a beating, climb, and BOMB hills. pretty much just a beast of a bike that I can throw around and is ready for any kind of action that is thrown at it.I also use my bike to get to the gym which is road work up too 20 miles round trip.

I understand the 26in seems to be the size of the past, but I feel the 29er is just too big for me to throw around, SO whats your input on the 27.5 ? and how all the wheel sizes compare to each specific bike brand such as ( suspension, peddling, balance ) pretty much specifics ?

I've been doing my own personal research and am interested in the following brands,But my question for you is, which bike do you think will be the best throw around climber bomber, and rider bike for an athlete like myself, If theres any other brands i may have missed in my list below please feel free to tell me what brand you would think would suite me.
santa cruz?
trek remedy 27.5
Yeti Sb66, 26 or 27.5?
specialized ,

I'm leaning more towards the yeti sb66 and the trek remedy...

Thank you, Like I said Im an amateur that is just looking to be put on the right bike !
im looking forward to hearing your opinions! :cool:
Jesse Barrett
It would help to know where you are riding and specific trail names. Is it rocky/root, long extended climbs and descents, or short punchy technical climbs. Mountain bike parks? etc

Categories of bikes are basically XC, trail, All mountain, downhill. What you should ride is basically based on the terrain. There isnt a definitive split between them. But one of the key attributes is head tube angle, the steeper (higher number like 71 degrees) the better the climber, but the more twitchy the bike. Basically 1-2 degrees of difference between the categories of bikes. XC=70/71, trail=69/70, AM 68-69, downhill 66-68. The other is suspension/fork capacity. 100mm =XC 120=trail, 140=AM, 160+=downhill

Decide what category of bike first by test riding a couple of each on your favorite trails. I picked trail so I could bomb down things (135mm travel and 69.5 degrees HA) but with decent climbing.

Once you decide on a category of bike, rent around 5 bikes and ride them on a trail you are familiar with. Try to get a few hours on each bike. If you can do this you will find a solid bike for you. I have liked most bikes that I have ridden but there are subtle differences that come out - like do you like to sit or stand when you climb.

I loved riding the turner sultan (dw-link is awesome), but couldnt afford it so ended up with a tallboy LTC which I liked a lot, but it didnt feel as planted as the sultan. Then turner came out with the czar and it was awesome too (still couldnt afford it). I have rented giant anthems and trances and they were solid bikes. I didnt like any of the specialized bikes (camber, stumpjumper, epic). For whatever reason their suspension wasnt quite right for me but the giants (trance/anthem) were great.

I wouldnt spend 6K on a bike without renting it and a bunch of others. I spent about $200 on rentals before buying.

And stay away from avid brakes..

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
For your budget there wont be such a thing as a bad or poorly designed bike provided you stick with a big brand [Giant, Trek, Specialized etc]
funny, I would say at that price there's absolutely no reason to get a bike from a big brand, it's like getting a Toyota when you are spending enough for a Ferrari. Sure the big boys are serviceable bikes, but no one that knows any better really loves a Specialized or Trek (go ahead, that was partially meant as flame bait; but seriously go to the Turner, Canfield or Yeti forums on here and compare the way people talk to spec or giant and tell me it's the same feeling people have about them).

OP, you have to look around and ride a lot of bikes. There isn't much these days that's utter garbage FOR ITS INTENDED USE, especially at your price point, but you have to match the intended use to your intended use for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It would help to know where you are riding and specific trail names. Is it rocky/root, long extended climbs and descents, or short punchy technical climbs. Mountain bike parks? etc

Categories of bikes are basically XC, trail, All mountain, downhill. What you should ride is basically based on the terrain. There isnt a definitive split between them. But one of the key attributes is head tube angle, the steeper (higher number like 71 degrees) the better the climber, but the more twitchy the bike. Basically 1-2 degrees of difference between the categories of bikes. XC=70/71, trail=69/70, AM 68-69, downhill 66-68. The other is suspension/fork capacity. 100mm =XC 120=trail, 140=AM, 160+=downhill

Decide what category of bike first by test riding a couple of each on your favorite trails. I picked trail so I could bomb down things (135mm travel and 69.5 degrees HA) but with decent climbing.

Once you decide on a category of bike, rent around 5 bikes and ride them on a trail you are familiar with. Try to get a few hours on each bike. If you can do this you will find a solid bike for you. I have liked most bikes that I have ridden but there are subtle differences that come out - like do you like to sit or stand when you climb.

I loved riding the turner sultan (dw-link is awesome), but couldnt afford it so ended up with a tallboy LTC which I liked a lot, but it didnt feel as planted as the sultan. Then turner came out with the czar and it was awesome too (still couldnt afford it). I have rented giant anthems and trances and they were solid bikes. I didnt like any of the specialized bikes (camber, stumpjumper, epic). For whatever reason their suspension wasnt quite right for me but the giants (trance/anthem) were great.

I wouldnt spend 6K on a bike without renting it and a bunch of others. I spent about $200 on rentals before buying.

Thanks for the great info, I live in arizona, so anything fro vally riding too sedona flagstaff, california utah. where ever... Also how do I go abouts renting a bike ? i really dig that idea, ride before buy.. thanks !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm really leaning toward the Yeti SB66, does it come in a 27.5 wheel option and is it a comfortable climber, and descender? What is your favorite option of the yeti?. I'm also considering the trek remedy, sale questions on the rememdy, 27.5 or 26? if you had to chose between the two which woud you chose?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm really leaning toward the Yeti SB66, does it come in a 27.5 wheel option and is it a comfortable climber, and descender? What is your favorite option of the yeti?. I'm also considering the trek remedy, sale questions on the rememdy, 27.5 or 26? if you had to chose between the two which woud you chose?
The SB66 is 26" only, and their 27.5" offering in that family, the SB75, is a shorter travel bike.

I believe the word on the street is they will have a new 27.5" bike available later in the year, which doesn't really help you out now.

Ride as many different bikes you can, as you can't really go wrong with that kind of budget.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
OR you can get a $3k bike and help a brother out LOL ! just kidding!! best of luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

This is excellent advice, thank you!

·
Registered
192 Posts
You can have all the bike you want for $6K. Giant Anthem is one of the best FS bikes out there. Certainly one of the best component mixes per $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
How tall are you? I know you said you think a 29er would be too big a wheel size, but I wouldn't discount it unless you are short. I love the 29er advantages in southern Utah.
The Niner RIP 9 RDO is a fantastic bike, both climbing and descending, if you are willing to consider a 29er.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am 6'2, 195, I want something to throw around that's why I was thinking meeting in the kiddie at the 27.5 remedy..,

·
EDR
10,103 Posts
You should post in the Arizona form. We have lots of experienced riders who could give you some good advice. With that kinda money your options are wide open. The Yeti sb66 is a fantastic bike but it has been discontinued and you will likely have a hard time finding one. There are new replacements for that bike coming out later this year. Supposedly Yeti has some killer stuff in the works for the very near future.

Look at what the AZ riders are using that fit the description of what you want. You'll see Pivot mach 6, Firebird, Knolly Endorphin....Chilcoton, Yeti 575 (now a 27.5 bike), sb 66 and SB 95. Turner bikes. Lots to choose from.

I believe DNA cycles in both mesa in Scottsdale will let you take a test ride on a specialized bike for $60. That money would then go towards the purchase. Rage cycles in Scottsdale is a small shop but they carry high end Boutique frames like Turner and Yeti and Pivot. If they have one built in your size you could at least get a ride in the parking lot or in the small pump track in the back of the shop.

FWIW pivot is a a local company. I've never ridden one but lots of people love those bikes, admittedly I'm more of a Yeti whore.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If it was me I would take that 6k budget and use 4k to 4.5k and get your self a pretty sweet mountain bike and use the remainder for a decent road bike to use to ride to the gym and to aid in your MMA training. You can log a lot of miles in a short amount of time on a road bike and really push your cardio limits. Nick Diaz (while a complete tool) is a top MMA athlete renown for his cardio that logs a lot of time on the road bike.

As far as bikes go, check out the Turner Burner. If your willing to reconsider 29rs Turner had a sweet deal going on the XT build Sultan

·
Registered
201 Posts
You'll find a lot of boutique brand bias on this forum. The large brands (like Trek or Giant) don't make people feel special like the boutique brands do. It's just a different kind of marketing.
The TREK Remedy 27.5 is probably the right choice for what you want. You should be able to demo one from your local bike shop. It seems like you've done your homework if that's one of the two bikes you're already considering. I've read really great things about it.

BTW, I checked you out on youtube. Nice.

·
EDR
10,103 Posts
Regarding wheel size debate.

I have never owned a 29r or a 27.5 inch bike and have no desire to at this time. I love my 26 inch yetis, every one of them I've ever owned. That being said the climate in the mountain bike industry is definitely changing quickly. If I were buying a right now I don't think there is anyway I would drop 6k on a 26" bike. Unloading it in a couple years will bring a huge loss. The simple fact is that bigger wheels are going to dominate the market. A prime example is the Yeti Sb 66. That might just be the finest do it all bike Yeti has ever produced. Yet it has reached a quick and premature end due to demand of the wheel size. I'd stay ahead of the curve if I were you with this kind of money.

If you really want a 26 inch bike, consider buying a 66 or something similar used. You could probably pick up one in primo condition for half of what you are looking to spend. It will ride just as well as a brand new bike and save thousands. In a year or two you will have a ton of new 27.5 inch bikes to choose from. They are coming on quickly.

Take a look at the Knolly Warden as well. Its a 27.5 6" bike. knolly is built by North Shore riders and are built to slay the toughest of terrain and riding styles. Despite being a Canadian company this is why they are popular among the AZ rough riders.

Some of these bikes like the Firebird the warden, the 66 and Chilcotton could be considered overkill for most trails but you said you wanted a bike you could beat the crap out of and ride hard so that's why I mention them. These types of bikes would be good for super technical Arizona riding. You can get away with a lot less obviously. And in many instances its preferred.

The Santa Cruz Bronson might be an option as well. I haven't researched it myself but I think it's built to fit what you're looking for and its 27.5". Geez! So many to choose from I'm envious.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts