Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there's anybody out there who's ridden these trails before: how difficult would you say they are?

Context: I did literally my very first off-road ride ever this morning. It was a hoot and a half. I live close to both Frannie Reese State Park and Illinois Mountain (both in Highland, NY) and run there all the time when I'm not injured. Which I am now, which is why I decided to build up a mountain bike, as another way to get into the woods. Road riding is fun, but not quite the same as being alone in nature.

Anyway, I went and rode Frannie, and it seems rideable, even to a complete noob. There's one hill at the very south end that I couldn't get up, due to inadvertent wheelies/spinning out, but other than that, loads of fun. If you're in the know, any other trails of that level (or less) around here for me to check out?

Brimming with hubris, I went up to Illinois Mountain, which I knew would be harder. Turns out it's way, way too hard for me to handle. I was aiming to just do the red and white trails, which are basically baby level trail running that I've done literally hundreds of times (no offense to MTB riders here--on foot technical, I reckon, is way different than bike technical). After wiping out good on the red trail, directly into the reservoir (wish I had video of that), I proceeded to do the same several times on the white trail, then bail entirely as soon as it got seriously rocky. I just couldn't carry enough speed to get over obstacles without falling over.

The trails up on Illinois Mountain are super-legit on a bike, right? I kind of had that feeling from the few times I encountered bikers up there before. Mad props to anybody who can ride on that mountain. I can't even imagine the chops it must take to do the blue and yellow trails up top. I would be badly injured if I tried, I expect.

If you've ridden up there--am I right about the difficulty? Really hard? For the record, I decided I can't even aspire to go up there again on a bike until I get a lot, lot better at trail riding, if ever. Frannie Reese, on the other hand...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yup, the Illinois Mountain trails are hard, IMO possibly the most technical around these parts. It's a fine balance of finding a bike with enough travel to conquer the sharp rockgardens but light enough for the relentless jagged rolling climbs. The last time I rode there 3 weeks ago I went OTB twice. I joke that the blue trail has more sharp rocks than actual dirt and is overall the hardest, but the yellow is nearly a tie. Ummm, did I mention there are rocks up there? My favorite cup of tea ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Jumbo, try Shaupeneak. All trails are rideable, though going east towards the Hudson can be dicey at times for beginners due to the chunk. The red trail around the lake is a great fast loop all singletrack, and well beaten down so it rides well. Great for building confidence.

A bit out of your wheelhouse is Stewart down in Newburgh. Tons of miles of mild singletrack. Up in my neck of the woods is Lippman, Onteora, and Jockey Hill. I'm always down to ride any of these trails, as well as Illinois and Frannie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.