Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case anyone cares to check it out or help with some of my noob questions :confused:

I have been riding an '03 Specialized HR since I bought it new (first mtb). Been itching for a newer DJ style 26er for awhile, but couldn't justify the cost. Ended up getting this one for $100 and it was local so no shipping :thumbsup: Its never been used but from looking at the mongoose site its not a current year model, maybe someone will chime in with the year.

I have never built a bike from just a fame before, so I haven't done anything with BBs or headsets. I guess any 1 1/8" headset will do?
And is an "standard American bottom bracket" what most all BMX bike run?
I like the idea of BMX cranks anyway ...

I sold my books back for a whopping $71 today so if I could pick up a crankset and bb for that I would be set. I plan to rob my HR of what I can to get it going. It has a new set of Azonic Outlaws and BB7s, as well as an '05 DJ3 that will get me by for now.

Its no MOB but I don't need a MOB anyway. Fun on a budget is what I am after. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have alot of auto mechanic tools, but no I don't have a crank arm puller or a cup press.

I found the tech section on danscomp and it pretty much covers what I need to do.
http://www.danscomp.com/serve.php?serve=faq&html=faqs_tech.htm

I think I can do the headset with my rubber mallet as they suggest, or even in the vice. As for the cranks I am hoping I won't have to pull them back off, but if I do I think my 2 arm ball joint puller will work.

Now to find some cheap parts.

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
Thats an american BB. Dont worry to much about installing it, its a piece of cake like the headset...its pretty hard to f*ck up intalling one - in fact, I find headsets harder to install in making sure I remember if the actual bearings cages are installed face up or face down. Cool frame, looks like a rider.

I call this face down.

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
If your going to skimp on the cranks at least get decent ones, those povertys are garbage.

Redline Monsters

74.00 free ship.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Redline-BMX-Mon...ryZ48843QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

in chrome

http://cgi.ebay.com/Redline-BMX-Mon...ryZ48843QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Standard Redlines.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Redline-Proline...yZ158982QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I dont know how much your willing to spend...but I would just get some profiles over anything I've posted, yeah, they cost a bit more, but they will be the last set of cranks you should have to buy for a while.

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
I would go with the monsters, simply because they are sealed bearing and a good reputable brand with a good track record, everyting you've posted is roller bearing, and while nothing is wrong with that generally its better to buy sealed, they are smoother and tend to keep dirt out more and I honesly think you will like them better.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
jeffgothro said:
I would go with the monsters, simply because they are sealed bearing and a good reputable brand with a good track record, everyting you've posted is roller bearing, and while nothing is wrong with that generally its better to buy sealed, they are smoother and tend to keep dirt out more and I honesly think you will like them better.
They're not roller bearings, just unsealed balls. Unsealed balls CAN roll quite smoothly, but the bearings and races are typically pretty spotty on those low end sets. It can always be replaced with a sealed bottom bracket later...

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
un-sealed, caged, rollers - (un-sealed) I spose of you want to get technical about it, to me they are one and the same.

Actually, I think alot of sealed bearings probably use a cage, but the cages may have less bearings in them.I forgot what brand it was but I tore a sealed bearing apart once - it rolled smooth as glass, much to my surprize (was my first time tearing a sealed bearing apart) it had a caged bearing inside with 4 evenly spaced bearings inside a steel cage.

I dont believe my Solid crank bearings use a cage, I was repairing the plastic dust cover (it got a slight tweak from my screw driver hitting it) and if I remember it had loose ball bearings inside the cup and there was a race in the cup.

I've also seen a Bullseye bearings from the inside, for the cranks they use a caged needle bearing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, well I'll probably order the Redlines on monday unless you guys think I can find better for $75.

I was also looking at the $16 Aheadset from danscomp

But now I am kind of thinking $25 shipped for this FSA pig might be a good deal
http://cgi.ebay.com/FSA-Pig-Headset...ryZ56189QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Unless someone has something bad to say about it. It's $40 on danscomp.

Still looking at $30 for a seat, $13 for a post, probably $5 for a clamp, $20 for pedals, probably $35 for handle bars, grips, a front brake lever without a shifter, chain ring...:rolleyes:

·
App State
103 Posts
You can out a headset in with a rubber mallet? I'm hopefully going to get a new frame for Christmas, and will be putting a new headset in it, so I can do it myself with out a press? Is this hard? I can do bout everything on the bike cept for crank(have a friend with the tools for this)/headset removal install because I dont have the tools, should I try this? It would save me from going to the shop and having to pay.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hardrocker77 said:
You can out a headset in with a rubber mallet? I'm hopefully going to get a new frame for Christmas, and will be putting a new headset in it, so I can do it myself with out a press? Is this hard? I can do bout everything on the bike cept for crank(have a friend with the tools for this)/headset removal install because I dont have the tools, should I try this? It would save me from going to the shop and having to pay.
I linked to the danscomp how to section in my second post.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.