Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Il Pompino steel fork, does it have the "lawyer tabs" on the fork ends?

These are the small lips the keep the wheel from falling out of the fork if your quick-release is not fully closed. Sheldon Brown explains it as:

This has been done by encumbering fork ends with extra hardware, ridges or lumps that keep the wheel sort-of attached even if it has been installed by someone who doesn't know what he or she is doing. Unfortunately, this means that the quick-release mechanism must be re-adjusted each time it is used, seriously slowing down the operation. Since this extra stuff was installed as a defense against frivolous lawsuits by ambulance-chasing shysters, the extra bumps are sometimes known as "lawyer lips" or "lawyer tabs."

Thanks!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I must admit I never checked the ones I've seen and sold, but then again, I never saw any fork without the tabs either. One thing I do know, the ones I saw didn't fit a 30mm CX tire. It looks like a CX bike, but is a road bike with canti mounts. And a very sexy one, too!

·
Registered
229 Posts
more clearance now

I asked and Brant told me the new ones are shipping with redesigned forks for more tire clearance. I got my Il Pompino frame and fork in last night but I went with the Planet X carbon fork. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have lawyer tabs.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Went the same route

ShivaSteve said:
I asked and Brant told me the new ones are shipping with redesigned forks for more tire clearance. I got my Il Pompino frame and fork in last night but I went with the Planet X carbon fork. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have lawyer tabs.
The canti mounts are kinda difficult to line up. BU the crown to dropout lenght is kinda nice in that it raises the front end. because the geometry is steep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts