Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at my lbs yesterday pickin up my stinky and noticed they had a pretty nice ss porter. test rode it and liked it a lot. it was goin for 700

i havent seen any porters on this forum and was just wonderin if anyone has any input on them. i might just buy that one and get a sherman jumper instead of buildin up whole new ht

thx in advance

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
omg, no 1 knows anything bout this bike? :confused: :(

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
The only person I've ever seen ride one was Jordie L. at the Sea Otter DJ comp.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
porters are a little thick for my taste. I approve of lighter beers like Becks and Stella Artois....oh Porter like bikes...My bad

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Ill chime in. Nice bike, burly and spec'd well enough for that price but I don't particularly like it for its intended purpose. Its far too slack for a true park bike and not setup to really freeride without lots o new parts.

The geometry feels (note, I say feels, not is) slakcer than my Chameleon which is a far more versatile bike relative to the Porter. If you are looking at that bike, Id look at the Chase instead since its a little more versatile. Id also look at the Chameleon (used maybe?). I love mine. Still, Im buying a new park specific frame as soon as my buddy's make a production frame (next month maybe). Right tool for the job man, rememeber that.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
namaSSte said:
Ill chime in. Nice bike, burly and spec'd well enough for that price but I don't particularly like it for its intended purpose. Its far too slack for a true park bike and not setup to really freeride without lots o new parts.

The geometry feels (note, I say feels, not is) slakcer than my Chameleon which is a far more versatile bike relative to the Porter. If you are looking at that bike, Id look at the Chase instead since its a little more versatile. Id also look at the Chameleon (used maybe?). I love mine. Still, Im buying a new park specific frame as soon as my buddy's make a production frame (next month maybe). Right tool for the job man, rememeber that.
sweet! a decent reply, thx! :D

my buds already got a chase and i dont like to copy. another option may be to get a small kona scrap, make it singlespeed, and put sherman jumper on that

but a actually need to test the porter out first cuz all i did was ride it around a parking lot full of cars and peds

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
No way!

Chikity China said:
sweet! a decent reply, thx! :D

my buds already got a chase and i dont like to copy. another option may be to get a small kona scrap, make it singlespeed, and put sherman jumper on that

but a actually need to test the porter out first cuz all i did was ride it around a parking lot full of cars and peds
scrap the Scrap and get a Cowen. Now thats a sweet frame. Movable droputs and great geometry. Another to look into is building up an Identiti Dr. Jekyll. Decent park geomtry and unreal offroad since its got what seems to be the highest bb height Ive ever seen.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
namaSSte said:
scrap the Scrap and get a Cowen. Now thats a sweet frame. Movable droputs and great geometry. Another to look into is building up an Identiti Dr. Jekyll. Decent park geomtry and unreal offroad since its got what seems to be the highest bb height Ive ever seen.
my bud has a scrap set up pretty well (attached pic)

but the identiti is sick! you might also want to look into a .243 or a dmr or something... you have a lot of options...

EDIT: i just realized i deleted the pics of his bike.... sorry... here's a quick spec...

fox vanillas
same drivetrain (but either going ss or getting a better guide...)
swapping out pedals soon
dw handle bars (and a different stem, but i can't remember what it is right now)
azonic outlaws
kenda krads
hayes 8"
ruffian lock on grips

it's still pretty much stock, but it rides nice... i want him to go no frontbrake etc... so he can try a barspin.... :p

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
JBsoxB said:
"you might also want to look into a .243 or a dmr or something... you have a lot of options..."

very true, I didn't even mention a P2 which should seem obvious for that price range.

"it's still pretty much stock, but it rides nice... i want him to go no frontbrake etc... so he can try a barspin...."

barpsins can be pretty sketchy so I hope your bud's careful (make sure he's got bar end plugs!) Anyhow, forgetting barspins, I think no front brakes helps smooth you out more since it's tough to quickly scrub speed. Lots of bmx'ers out here even ride brakeless. Im not going there, but I've defniitely enjoyed my time in the park and dj's much more without a front brake. :p
blah, blah, blah....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts