Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
You can ride anything from a rigid singlespeed to a full-blown freeride bike out at Santos and find the right trail for it. That being said, the IH would be a great bike to enjoy about 95% of what Santos has to offer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whew! That's what I remember too. It's been a few years since I had been down that way and wasn't sure anymore. I hear there are actual bike washes and paved drives and parking now? Any maps anywhere? I remember being lost out there from time to time - somtimes that's best. Thanks.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
I was looking at getting an MKIII a while ago. I think it would be a great bike for Santos and Florida riding in general, enough travel to be fun and not too much to be real heavy.

***************the deal I was looking at is in the mtbr hot deals section, it's a half price deal on a MKIII expert**********:eek:

check out omba.org for maps and info

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts
MKIII would be a nice addition to the current pool of bikes (also one of my top considerations last year). As far as whether it's too much; I ride a Titus Motolite at 5", a friend rides an intense 5.5 and I see a number of Turner 5 spots and SC Hecklers abound. All these bikes are quality 5+ inch travel bikes. I've even seen a number of SC Nomads at 6". Santos is not a waste of time for these bikes. Neither are Razorback or Alafia.

Edit: In my opinion this is the easiest to read map for Santos-Vortex trail
https://www.omba.org/Maps/Santos3b.gif

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Did there used to be a trail called Spider or Black Widow or something? It was mostly a log loop single track XC type trail but the time it took me to complete was enjoyable as there never seemed to be anyone else on it and a person could really do some good cardio work. This was maybe 5 or 6 or maybe even 7 years ago.(?) Nope I didn't see it on the map either.

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have remembered OMBA from the start. Great pics and maps on the site. Thanks again. And as soon as I can decide on a replacement (for the stock) set of wheels I'll get the MK III and after some refresher trips around Hanna in JAX I'll check out Santos in person.

·
Registered
887 Posts
ecrock45 said:
Thanks. Did there used to be a trail called Spider or Black Widow or something? It was mostly a log loop single track XC type trail but the time it took me to complete was .
I believe the trail you are remembering is called Spider Kingdom - it will take you all the way from the main trailhead to 75 and back if you want. Its not very technically challenging, but it really allows you to pound out the mileage.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. I'll get back to Santos and maybe even Razorback/Reddick(?) one day. I have a few pounds to lose and need to get the ticker and lungs back into proper running order. Thanks for all the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.