Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm looking for a new ride for next season.
I've noticed that the IH frames are on sale pretty cheap from Randall Scott.

How strong are these frames? I held one of my friends, and it seemed pretty light; I usually relate weight with strength.

How do they feel with a Totem? Also, I have a RockShox Pearl rear shock, in 8.5" size. It has the same size stroke, but is slightly shorter than the stock shock. How will this affect the ride?

I'll just be using the bike to get back into the..more freerideish scene; 7 - 8 foot drops, skinnies, stuff like that. I live on the North Shore, but won't be hitting anything crazy.
Hopefully next year I can grab a Corsair Maelstrom if they're ever actually released..

As for me, I'm shorter, about 5'8 and weigh 160lbs geared up.

Sorry for all the questions, and if this was covered before! Just hoping to get some answers from the guys who actually ride these rigs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
ya i ride a 7 point 3 and its seriously indestructable! at around 40ish lbs. and the 6 points are pretty much 7 point on a diet! iron horse calls them aggressive all mountain and there built up around 35 37 lbs i think. and with a shock anything other that stock length and stroke will void your warrantee but if its .25 in difference either way it shouldnt be that big of a deal you might just run into little problems like loosing travel but im not really sure. but i think the 6 point is a perfect free ride rig as long as your not doing completly insane stuff! and if you are you should buy my 7.3 if your interested. but i live in arizona thats a long way to ship.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was interested in the 6 Point for 2 reasons;

The lighter weight is appealing

I can get one for a decent price. I find most people want too much for their old 05/06 7 Point frames with sub par rear shocks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
For a light FR bike you can't go wrong. Spec it with some strong wheels & off ya go.
One this you must do is get on of those headset extenders, so you can get a better headangle & BB clearance.
From what you said briefly, skinnys, 6-8foot drops DH type trails, the 6point will take it all easy, very easy.
Mine with Fox 36 Vans, loves the rough rooty trails we ride in NZ. The N/S stuff, 6-10foot drops to transistions, gaps etc etc, not problem to the 6point (rider needs skill upgrade though)

The DW link works very well & feels smooth & bottomless, very grippy.

And if the need requires, you can can ride up too.....

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I use mine for FR and it's taken everything I've thrown at her so far. It will teach you to be smoother on big drops (I was using my heavy/cumbersome M3 before but that was more forgiving). Its really well balanced for jumping and handles skinnies very well. I do use the enduro extender with a Lyrik solo air. You can definitely use an 8.5" rear shock - I have one on mine now. That slackens the HTA which is better IMHO. But I plan to try a coil over 8.75" w/ 2.75" stroke which will actually get near 7" rear travel and just run a lot of sag.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yea, the frame can totally handle it. Just build it up w/ beefier components as they break. W/ a 180mm fork and a shorter shock, that should even things out a bit, BB not being too low and having a slacker HA. That'll be fun.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Terminator Z said:
Yea, the frame can totally handle it. Just build it up w/ beefier components as they break. W/ a 180mm fork and a shorter shock, that should even things out a bit, BB not being too low and having a slacker HA. That'll be fun.
And completely void any sort of warranty...

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
Frame is on its way here (will be here today) as well as a 2009 Wotan.
Build pictures soon to follow!
if by soon you mean instantly after arrival, i will be satisfied.

·
Registered
481 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
simcik said:
Says Iron Horse:

http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/faq/2007/12/what-is-maximum-travel-fork-i-can-put.html

Im not saying its not a great ride, but slackening it out and putting undue stress on a head tube can cause them to shear.
Huh! You got me there! Those FAQ's weren't on their website when I got my 07 6point but I can assure you the frame has handled a 180mm fork for 2 years just fine. And I ride it pretty hard. The difference between 160mm and 180mm is less than a inch. There's no way that less than a 1" difference will affect a frame. If it does there is something wrong but the reality is that the frame's warranty is really only one year.
Looking at the chart I would say the recommendations are very conservative. The 7point can easily handle a 200mm fork and lots of guys have abused the crap out of their 7points with 8" DC forks and I have never heard of a head tube having issues.
Also note that the FAQ does not explicitly say it will void your warranty, It say it "could".

I am just giving my experience with my 6point. To each his own.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.