Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
What? There's more?
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stumbled on a thread discussing bushings and Dougal mentioned he was using IGUS bushings in place of DU bushings in his shocks. That was a bit off the OP's topic, and it was quite old, so thought I better start a new one.
Never heard of IGUS, so looked it up and wondering which particular material folks are using. L280 perhaps? How does it feel? Service life?

·
What? There's more?
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The pin in my CCDB is aluminum. Needle bearings run on steel. Suppose I could find a new pin, but that's not really what I'm after.

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
I just installed a new CCDB IL on a freinds bike that had IGUS bushing. I can only say they are quite user friendly. Seems like DU bushing wear too fast w/ any rotation.

·
What? There's more?
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have kept googling. They are available directly from IGUS. Looks like the G300 is the particular material blend. 11/32" sound like the right OD?

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
I should have kept googling. They are available directly from IGUS. Looks like the G300 is the particular material blend. 11/32" sound like the right OD?
11/32" is very small. Shock eyelets are like 15mm mounting hardware is 1/2" / 12.7mm.

·
What? There's more?
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup. That was a brain fart. I meant 19/32". The eyes of my CCDBAirIL measure .592" without bushings and the pin is dead on half inch. 19/32 is the closest standard OD I see: (59375).

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
The Fox 5 piece polymer bushing set (speccef with most Fox shocks for the last few years) looks very much like Igus material. It's great, my preferred choice.
Yes, pretty much all Fox stuff over the last few years is IGUS, like my old Turner frames.

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
The hardest riders on the worst bikes get about 2 years from an IGUS bushing. But they require excellent tolerances to do that.

Fitted up something like 800 sets with a 12 month warranty. Never been called on it.

·
What? There's more?
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doh! The eyes are 15mm. I was looking for some Imperial fraction. Confounded bike industry mixing standards confused me...again. Well, NZ is a long way to take my shock, not that I wouldn't like to. Guess I'm going to have to sort this one out on my own. Thanks.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
The hardest riders on the worst bikes get about 2 years from an IGUS bushing. But they require excellent tolerances to do that.

Fitted up something like 800 sets with a 12 month warranty. Never been called on it.
Not in my experience, less than a season on highly loaded Pivot pivots, at $3 a pop, not a bad deal by any means, but they won't last 2 seasons in all situations, not even close.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
You missed the bit about excellent tolerances.
Many bikes use highly loaded pivots, much more so than a few years back, with the advent of so many "mini-link" bikes. There can be significant differences loading and rotation during travel for these bushings, so there's more than just the tolerances.

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
Many bikes use highly loaded pivots, much more so than a few years back, with the advent of so many "mini-link" bikes. There can be significant differences loading and rotation during travel for these bushings, so there's more than just the tolerances.
I particularly love it when Jm tells me the things I've been doing for years don't work.

·
What? There's more?
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So IGUS doesn't show the bastard size 15mm x half-inch on their website, but I can get the Fox IGUS bushings for $1.99US/ea. My new Manitou Metel showed up yesterday. Must be old stock, because it has 13.9mm eyes and 12mm bushings. Nothing is easy, is it? Waiting for a 15mm hand reamer from our good friends in China to sort out the eyes. Schraeder valve for the IFP? Same thread as Fox-Ford-fuel-rail maybe?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts