Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Never worng!
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride trails in PA. There are a lot of uphills and rocky downhills.
I have a HT and was looking at FS bikes and the Ignition and Apogee got my attention.

The geometry is different between the 2 bikes and I'm not sure which one would more
suit my needs.

What I'm looking for:
Climbing - as little bob as possible.
A suspension that can handle the occasional rocky downhills.

I like the Ignition 3 and but can't make up my mind about which Apogee I'd prefer???

I'd appreciate any input re: the difference in riding between the Ignition and Apogee.
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Apogee

While I can't personally attest to either frame, I would say that the Apogee is the way to go, if for no other reason than the fact that it is their better frame. Read through the descriptions and you'll see some of the differences Apogee is triple butted, Ignition does not list being triple butted. The linkage on the Apogee appears more sophisticated and the rear shock is of better quality than the Ignition. These seem to be the most significant differences from what I can tell.
 

·
Never worng!
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
While I can't personally attest to either frame, I would say that the Apogee is the way to go, if for no other reason than the fact that it is their better frame. Read through the descriptions and you'll see some of the differences Apogee is triple butted, Ignition does not list being triple butted. The linkage on the Apogee appears more sophisticated and the rear shock is of better quality than the Ignition. These seem to be the most significant differences from what I can tell.
Thanks for reply!

Yeah I kinda thought the Apogee too.
I did see the triple butted thing when I was comparing the two.

The reason I was interested in the Ignition 3 is the price.
If I went with the Apogee I'd have to get the XT then I'd be looking at $1,299 + S/H.
Which is a great deal.
However, the LBS has a great deal on a 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert for $1,700.
If I had the cash that's what I'd get.

I'm also in PA and ride trails with a lot of climbs and occasional rocky bumpy downhills.
Nothing extreme.
If the Ignition 3 could do the job where I ride then that may be an affordable option
for me to consider.

Why is buying a new bike always a dilemma?

Hey thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Why XT?

Component levelwise, the Apogee Sport is similar(same fork, nearly same dt etc.) to the Ignition 3. The frame is the difference. Why, if you were to get the Apogee would it have to be the XT?
 

·
Never worng!
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bespinct said:
Component levelwise, the Apogee Sport is similar(same fork, nearly same dt etc.) to the Ignition 3. The frame is the difference. Why, if you were to get the Apogee would it have to be the XT?
Mostly regrets. ;)
If I got the Sport I'm the kind that later on would look at the components* on the XT
and say, "Jeez I shoulda scraped up the extra bucks and got the XT".
I know it sounds dumb but that's me.

* The XT has better: fork, r. shock, r. der., brakes, hubs, stem, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
If you were to get the Ignition 3, wouldn't you have the same regrets? Me, I enjoy my Apogee LX and have qualms with the components. I'm a big guy, stuffs likely to break, I'll upgrade then...didn't need to spend all the extra money up front.
 

·
Never worng!
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bespinct said:
If you were to get the Ignition 3, wouldn't you have the same regrets? Me, I enjoy my Apogee LX and have qualms with the components. I'm a big guy, stuffs likely to break, I'll upgrade then...didn't need to spend all the extra money up front.
True!

Is yours the '05 red? Looks nice.
The LX has good front and rear shocks.
Do you get much bob while climbing?
And how well does it handle the rough downhills?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Yes, it's the '05, and Red.

Both the front and rear shock are adjustable, and once I set the air to my weight I have had no bob. It handles technical terrain, downhill or otherwise better than my old HT, or the 29er HT that I have demoed. I cannot compare it to another FS, as I haven't ridden other FS bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
The frame is a big deal. I'd probably get an Apogee if I were to go back and re-purchase.

I purchased an Ignition-2 in 2004 (prior to the introduction of the Ign-3 and the sexier new frame style) - The component set wasn't quite what I wanted, so I just replaced parts when I wanted to (and/or when I managed to break something - like my wheelset)

Both are great bikes for their cost, (and great bikes in general) but the Apogee would be the way to go (even if you got the lowest end Apogee and upgraded later)

[edit] The older Ignition frame and comps can handle a fair deal of punishment. The wheelset was the only real issue I have had with mine so far. I'm not a nasty, hard, 40mph downhill kind of guy, but it has lasted the CA trails I've taken it on so far with no problems. [/edit]
 

·
Never worng!
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alikkon said:
The frame is a big deal. I'd probably get an Apogee if I were to go back and re-purchase............................................
Thanks!
Still haven't decided?????
I emailed Ibex and true to form Tony was extremely helpful.
And from the input I got here I'd pick the Apogee over the Ignition.

I'm down to 3 choices now:
1. Apogee XT $1,299
2. '05 Specialized FsrXC Comp $1,012
3. '05 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert $1,795

Really like the Stumpjumper but it's a little high for my budget.
The LBS said I could put it on layaway. That would definitely work for me.

They didn't have a FsrXC to test ride and compare to the Stumpjumper.
And the Apogee is still in the running.

I wasn't in too much of a rush to get another bike because the weather's
been pretty miserable and then today it's over 50°.
So I think I'll be spending the rest of the week (weather permitting) riding my HT.
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Tough choice!

Verewolf said:
I'm down to 3 choices now:
1. Apogee XT $1,299
2. '05 Specialized FsrXC Comp $1,012
3. '05 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert $1,795

Having looked briefly at the specs on all 3, you're really down to 2, the FSR Expert and the Apogee XT. The differences in the specs between the Fsr XC and the Apogee XT are enough for me personally to eliminate the FsrXC. It would be very difficult for me to decide between the Stumpy and the Apogee. Obviously you know the differences in the specs between all three so I won't belabor the point. Both the Stumpy and teh Apogee are deeply discounted and whichever one you choose should servce you well.

Let us know what you finally decide.

Bob
 

·
Never worng!
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
Let us know what you finally decide.

Bob
PHEW!
Making a decision is tough.
I've been researching this for over 4 months.
Spent well over (no exaggeration) 200 hours reading reviews here
on bikes and components. And another 200+ hours reading posts in forums
and doing searches.

Jeez, I even have over 30 pages of spread sheets with bike comparisons.
Just when I think I've got the bike I've been looking for something turns up
and I'm back to square one.

I really appreciate the valuable and helpful information you and everyone here
has offered. It's kept me from making some bad choices.
Thanks!
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Overanalyzing?

Verewolf said:
PHEW!
Making a decision is tough.
I've been researching this for over 4 months.
Spent well over (no exaggeration) 200 hours reading reviews here
on bikes and components. And another 200+ hours reading posts in forums
and doing searches.

Jeez, I even have over 30 pages of spread sheets with bike comparisons.
Just when I think I've got the bike I've been looking for something turns up
and I'm back to square one.

I really appreciate the valuable and helpful information you and everyone here
has offered. It's kept me from making some bad choices.
Thanks!
I know that I fall into this trap at times. Ya know what's gonna happen? You're gonna go with your gut instinct and the bike that feels best.

Keep us informed, and try not to lose any sleep!

Bob
 

·
Humpmaster general
Joined
·
460 Posts
Verewolf said:
PHEW!
Making a decision is tough.
I've been researching this for over 4 months.
Spent well over (no exaggeration) 200 hours reading reviews here
on bikes and components. And another 200+ hours reading posts in forums
and doing searches.

Jeez, I even have over 30 pages of spread sheets with bike comparisons.
Just when I think I've got the bike I've been looking for something turns up
and I'm back to square one.

I really appreciate the valuable and helpful information you and everyone here
has offered. It's kept me from making some bad choices.
Thanks!
To me, The Stumpjumper is a great bike, that is the bike I would get. I have made 2 major bike purchases in my life and each time, 4 months after the initial purchase, I wished I spent more money and got the highest model bike.

If you log the miles to justify a $1800 bike then get it. Were talking about $500 extra dollars.

Eat Spaghetti or eggs every night for dinner for 2 months and brown bag lunch and you will have $300 of that already.

There also comes a time where you have to quit doing research and buy a bike or it will never stop. (for instance, how about the Iron Horse MIII).
 

·
Never worng!
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jack Hass said:
To me, The Stumpjumper is a great bike, that is the bike I would get. I have made 2 major bike purchases in my life and each time, I wished I spent more money and got the highest model bike.

If you log the miles to justify a $1800 bike then get it. Were talking about $500 extra dollars.

Eat Spaghetti or eggs every night for dinner for 2 months and brown bag lunch and you will have $300 of that already.

There also comes a time where you have to quit doing research and buy a bike or it will never stop. (for instance, how about the Iron Horse MIII).
The research ended a while back and the Stumpjumper is my current pick.
The hold up on buying it is - I'm waiting to to see the 2006 Ibex line.
Jack said they would have some 5" travel Apogees.
Also wanted to see the Asta. In another thread here Jack said the one pictured
was a prototype. Just wanted to get a look at the final version.

From the way I read the info on their website on January 27th, I assumed
that more details would be released within a few weeks. So I'm waiting.
Figure I'll wait a few more weeks. By then the weather will be great for riding
and I'll put in my order for a bike.

Also, the $1,800 for an '06 Stumpjumper is a great price.
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Very nice line-up for '06!

Verewolf said:
WHOA!
Neat! How'd you find that!
Looks like a winner!

Edit: Found the page with the 2006 bikes.
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Alpha-Bikes.html

Pretty exciting line-up for '06
Browsed through it this morning, and I'm impressed. Very well thought out on the specs, IMO. A little more $$ (I think?), but I think it's justified in the builds.

Bob
 

·
Never worng!
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Keep in mind

notrelatedtoted said:
Very, very interested to read a review on that....heck, $30.00 s/h may be a small price to pay for a 30 day test drive....
You also have to pay to ship it back after your test ride.
So a round trip ticket for the bike could run you $75 or more.

Hmmmm.............what happened to the link above for the 2006s???????
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top