Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding down the street today and looked down to grab my water bottle when I notice the plastic cap on my headset is broken... Should I worry about this, anyone have a good replacement for this.

Also, wondering if anyone has the vector axis off an ignition 3 for sale. I am looking to upgrade my vector 300 since I am doing much more street riding than origonally planned.

·
Registered
981 Posts
By plastic cap, do you mean the cap on top of the stem with the hex bolt that tightens into the fork's steerer?

You should replace it. It's a pretty inexpensive part that most bike shops should have for less than $2. A metal one will last longer. Lots of bike companies spec a plastic one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
frankenbike said:
By plastic cap, do you mean the cap on top of the stem with the hex bolt that tightens into the fork's steerer?

You should replace it. It's a pretty inexpensive part that most bike shops should have for less than $2. A metal one will last longer. Lots of bike companies spec a plastic one.
No I'm talking about the Cap that covers the bearings. I talked to Jack today, he recommends a new Headset. Cane Creek S-2. Read a bunch of reviews and I'm going with the FSA Orbit 2.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Gotcha.

My Jamis Dakar came with an inexpensive headset with a plastic cover over the bearings too.

Cane Creek has a good all metal headset that is being sold for around $30 right now from some of the large mail order joints. LBS should charge around $10 to install.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
frankenbike said:
Gotcha.

My Jamis Dakar came with an inexpensive headset with a plastic cover over the bearings too.

Cane Creek has a good all metal headset that is being sold for around $30 right now from some of the large mail order joints. LBS should charge around $10 to install.
You are the second person who has suggested the Cane Creek. The S-2 didn't get great reviews on this site. But I'm thinking it will be good enough for me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I liked the FSA XLII while I had it (gave the bike frame to a friend). I had it for a year and not a problem, the quality was/is pretty good too. A poor mans Chris King if you want to call it that.

Agustin

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got a sweet deal on a Thomson X4 stem. Ebay is the bomb for bike stuff. So as I see it I purchased the Ignition 2 for $499. $30 for the Cane Creek S2 headset, $17 for an XT front derailleur (another Ebay Deal) and $55 for the X4 stem. Clipless pedals $0 (free fom friend). For $600 I have a great bike. Still looking for a rear airshock, or spring with lockout. (If anyone has one for sale email me.) And a Thomson layback seatpost.

·
Registered
16 Posts
dwnhillscreamin said:
Just got a sweet deal on a Thomson X4 stem. Ebay is the bomb for bike stuff. So as I see it I purchased the Ignition 2 for $499. $30 for the Cane Creek S2 headset, $17 for an XT front derailleur (another Ebay Deal) and $55 for the X4 stem. Clipless pedals $0 (free fom friend). For $600 I have a great bike. Still looking for a rear airshock, or spring with lockout. (If anyone has one for sale email me.) And a Thomson layback seatpost.
I am also interested in upgrading my Ignition-2, what size was the CC S2 headset? did you install the XT front derailer yourself? was it difficult? did you keep the stock Kalloy handle bars?
thanks for all your info and help!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
eltigre007 said:
I am also interested in upgrading my Ignition-2, what size was the CC S2 headset? did you install the XT front derailer yourself? was it difficult? did you keep the stock Kalloy handle bars?
thanks for all your info and help!
The Cane Creek S-2 was 1 1/8 inch threadless. Yes I installed the Xt derailleur. Not too difficult, just took some time to adjust. You will need a tool to pop the pin out of the chain. I did keep the handle bars for now. Our handle bar/stem combo is 31.8 mm which is bigger than most. That's why I bought the Thomson X4 stem. If I can find a carbon fiber handle bar with the 31.8 mm size I will sertainly upgrade. Anymore questions mail me at [email protected].

·
Registered
16 Posts
dwnhillscreamin said:
The Cane Creek S-2 was 1 1/8 inch threadless. Yes I installed the Xt derailleur. Not too difficult, just took some time to adjust. You will need a tool to pop the pin out of the chain. I did keep the handle bars for now. Our handle bar/stem combo is 31.8 mm which is bigger than most. That's why I bought the Thomson X4 stem. If I can find a carbon fiber handle bar with the 31.8 mm size I will sertainly upgrade. Anymore questions mail me at [email protected].
What size was the X4 Stem, kinda confused as to what length (im assuming its length that the stems are refering to) I should consider. is this specific to my overall comfort or something else? I also may consider upgrading the Crankset what you suggest.
thanks again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
eltigre007 said:
What size was the X4 Stem, kinda confused as to what length (im assuming its length that the stems are refering to) I should consider. is this specific to my overall comfort or something else? I also may consider upgrading the Crankset what you suggest.
thanks again.
No the 31.8 mm is the clamp size. It's the size of our handle bars. That's what makes it an X4. The size ranges from 90mm to 120mm. That is the length of the stem. Then there is also a rise of 0-10 degrees. Check out Thomson's website. The lenght you will want depends on how you need your bike adjusted. I have a small size frame, and it felt a little cramped, so I got a longer stem to extend the frame some. I haven't studied the crankset at all so I am no help there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
dwnhillscreamin said:
No the 31.8 mm is the clamp size. It's the size of our handle bars. That's what makes it an X4. The size ranges from 90mm to 120mm. That is the length of the stem. Then there is also a rise of 0-10 degrees. Check out Thomson's website. The lenght you will want depends on how you need your bike adjusted. I have a small size frame, and it felt a little cramped, so I got a longer stem to extend the frame some. I haven't studied the crankset at all so I am no help there.
I just tried to install the Thomson X4 31.8mm on my 2003 IBEX ignition-2 but the Kalloy handle bar is real small, not sure if the 2004 differs in size VS the 2003 model but I am disapointed to say the least. I thank you very much for all your help on answering all my questions I am going to keep the stem but I probably wont install it until I upgrade the handlebars, did you get your Easton CF handle bars yet? I did install the Cane Creek S6 headset and its real sweet. thanks for the advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.