Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at pre-ordering an iggy for my 11 year old son who wants to graduate to full suspension. I've got an 07 Atlas Expert so I'm familiar with Ibex. My dilemma is sport or super. Since he'll likely grow out of the bike in 2-3 years, I'm wondering if its worth the extra $300 for the better spec. The real issue is the 3 pound difference in the models. He's strong, but still a kid, and I know from past experience with trimming weight on his Specialized Hardrock what a difference it makes. His little brother will inherit the bike when he grows out of it, so the lifespan will be closer to 5 or 6 years. We can always upgrade the sport over time, but will likely eat up the $300 in savings to recapture the 3 pounds. It is hard to see where the 3 pounds is coming from since the frame and wheels are identical and the drivetrain is unlikely to be much different in weight. I would speculate its primarily the fork and shock, and a bit from the cockpit (stem, bars and seatpost). I'm 90% sure the right choice is the Super, but would appreciate any thoughts.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
If you have the ducats to spend go for the Super it will hold up to the abuse a young one is going to inflict on it. The BB7's are possibly the weakest point if you can call BB7's weak. The reason I feel the BB7's could be the weak link is the abuse a kid is going to put on the brakes so they will need more attention with knob/pad adjustment and cables. Everything else should hold up to a few years of abuse If the kids are into AM/FR riding you will want to go to a dual ring with a bash over the three ring set up. :rockon:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Super it is

We initially ordered the Sport, but changed the order and are going with the Super...Sand Pearl White which should be a pretty cool color/finish (though the Lime Green would also be cool). I have never seen a white sand finish on any bike. Great spec that I will likely not have to upgrade for a while. Thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.