Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Candlestick Maker
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've tried lots of combos and I think I've finally figured out my nearly ideal snowbike setup:

On One Inbred frame (lots of clearance for snow)
Nexus SG-8R25 hub (reliable shifting in cold/slush/ice)
Front disc brake (good braking in ice/snow)
Rear roller brake (good braking in ice/snow)
Trails Edge Moose Mitts (super warm hands)
Flat Pedals w/ insulated hiking boots (super warm feet and no clipping issues)
Nokian Extreme 294 Studded Tires (awesome traction)
Slime tubes (I never want to have to change tubes in 10F weather)

The only thing that I may change is to throw on one of my extra suspension forks to handle the #@$(*(^ frozen potholes from hikers.

baker

Attachments

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
Very nice, Baker. What kind of trails can you ride on with those tires?

How warm are those MooseMitts? I bought some PI Lobster mitts and they are too warm above 20*F, my hands sweat. Any issues like that w/MM?

·
Candlestick Maker
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
pursuiter said:
Very nice, Baker. What kind of trails can you ride on with those tires?

How warm are those MooseMitts? I bought some PI Lobster mitts and they are too warm above 20*F, my hands sweat. Any issues like that w/MM?
The tires can handle pretty much whatever, although I avoid lots of rocks because I'm paranoid that I'll lose studs. Yesterday, for example, I rode through double track, twisty singletrack, and fire roads. Mostly decomposed granite with some sand and some rocks and roots.

The Moose Mitts are warm. Yesterday, I had winter riding gloves plus the moose mitts at 10F and was slightly too warm. The concept is that you can ride with regular riding gloves when just below freezing, while maintaining dexterity and warmth.

Here is a link for the Moose Mitts:

http://www.trails-edge.com/retail/te_shirts/amfbikemits.htm

baker

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Although we jumped from having a ridable amount of snow to about 24" of snow in just a day or two so I've been on snow shoes more often than a bike in the past 12 days. This bike will be useful as it starts to melt away and refreeze through January.

The Nokians work really well in perfect snowball snow and on sheer shiny wet ice. Once it gets slushy and salty, the snow shears out from under the tires and it is almost impossible to keep any momentum or steering input. On lumpy, rutted and footprinted ice you have to slow down to keep studs in contact with something other than air.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.