Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally I wanted a Mara pro, however, I can’t find them in stock in my size and the manitou rep said it’s going to be a while before they come in unfortunately.

So now I’m looking at the topaz vs suntour tri air. Only difference in them is bladder vs IFP. I know the functional differences between the two but don’t know if one is “better” than the other.

the topaz would be lightly used at $350 and the tri air would be brand new at $375

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
A bladder will permeate air faster than an IFP and can be a little sensitive to when things go wrong. There might be a touch more friction but its small and doesnt outweigh the negatives. I would go with the Suntour

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Super happy with my Topaz T3.

I really like that you can adjust the bladder pressure to dial in the shock.

I removed a Fox DPS for my Topaz, night day difference in high speed stability and supportive, yet plush ride. Used to regularly blow through full travel on the DPS, while feeling harsh all the way through it’s travel. I don’t think I’ve actually bottomed out the Topaz yet…

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,674 Posts
Super happy with my Topaz T3.

I really like that you can adjust the bladder pressure to dial in the shock.

I removed a Fox DPS for my Topaz, night day difference in high speed stability and supportive, yet plush ride. Used to regularly blow through full travel on the DPS, while feeling harsh all the way through it's travel. I don't think I've actually bottomed out the Topaz yet…
I have a topaz. How does changing the bladder pressure affect the shocks ride?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Right from the DVO website:

"The pressure within the bladder will have a drastic affect on performance. As we talked about before, the higher the pressure the less chance you have of cavitation. The pressure range of the bladder is 170-200PSI. The bladder pressure also has an effect on the entire stroke of the shock. The higher the bladder pressure the firmer the shock will be. The lower the pressure, the softer. Lighter riders can run a lower bladder pressure and heavier riders should ride a higher pressure."

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
It just adds preload. But your useful tuning range is nothing. You need the IFP pressure high enough to stop cavitation and that can be as much as 300psi even in a piggy back shock.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Having ridden both the shocks listed, the Topaz is better. It has a different main piston and different shim stack them the suntour.

That said, the bladder pressure of the Topaz does have to be checked (added to) regularly. A custom tune on your existing shock might be a better option then either though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having ridden both the shocks listed, the Topaz is better. It has a different main piston and different shim stack them the suntour.

That said, the bladder pressure of the Topaz does have to be checked (added to) regularly. A custom tune on your existing shock might be a better option then either though.
This is the first I've heard on the main piston. What's the difference? And wouldn't a different shim stack bring "better" depend on the rider and what bike its going on?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Dougal I was able to find a Mara pro in stock. I know you recommend the Mara more, however, is the Mara pro worth $200 over the tri air? Or I could go for the middle ground and get a super deluxe ultimate coil. What do you think?

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
@Dougal I was able to find a Mara pro in stock. I know you recommend the Mara more, however, is the Mara pro worth $200 over the tri air? Or I could go for the middle ground and get a super deluxe ultimate coil. What do you think?
Yes the Mara Pro is absolutely worth that premium.
I do not like the ride of the stock Super Deluxe Ultimate. My Knolly came with one.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
This is the first I've heard on the main piston. What's the difference? And wouldn't a different shim stack bring "better" depend on the rider and what bike its going on?
the Topaz now uses the same piston as the Suntour. The compression ports are slightly smaller and they removed the dished rebound side to make a flat face with slightly larger ports

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the Topaz now uses the same piston as the Suntour. The compression ports are slightly smaller and they removed the dished rebound side to make a flat face with slightly larger ports
Gotcha. So they are back to being the same with the only difference being the bladder vs IFP? I've had the DVO before and really liked it (when it didn't have Ibis' light tune on it)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.