Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running 32:18. I want to go to 32:20. They guys my LBS said that 32:20 was a mistake. Not sure why. They recommened going to a 30:18. Is this true? Why not just do it in back?

·
Registered
478 Posts
JHESEE said:
I am currently running 32:18. I want to go to 32:20. They guys my LBS said that 32:20 was a mistake. Not sure why. They recommened going to a 30:18. Is this true? Why not just do it in back?
Did they say why it is a mistake? If so, what did they say specifically?

dd..''

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
32x20 is no problem for me either... works real well for me in fact!

for me, it would be buying whatevers cheaper, either the ring in the front, or the freewheel in the back....

i'm guessing they had no 20t freewheels as well!

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
no prob

JHESEE said:
most LBS don't speaky Singlespeed. I've gotten blank stares, or hunches disguised as fact from several shops. "I don't think you can do that..."

shouldn't be a problem at all. FYI - The Path in Tustin, CA stocks the King 20t in steel. Good stuff.

party hearty,
HW

·
voodoo child
63 Posts
No idea, but...

it is possible they are not talking out of their arses. If the 1FG has an EBB, and I think it does, it may be the case that not all gear combos work. On my Spicer-converted EBB frame, I can't run 42x17 without a half-link. I have no experience with your frame...just something to consider before you dismiss them out of hand.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LBS explains...

Two people in this particular shop own 1FGs. As I recall one of them owns two. So they know the bike. This is a pretty good shop too. I did not pay attention to their explanation. I was running late. My wife was going to be mad b/c I was going to miss dinner for the 5 millionth time...... So I do not know. I guess I'll just go out and buy a 20T, put it on and see what happens

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
pauly said:
it is possible they are not talking out of their arses. If the 1FG has an EBB, and I think it does, it may be the case that not all gear combos work. On my Spicer-converted EBB frame, I can't run 42x17 without a half-link. I have no experience with your frame...just something to consider before you dismiss them out of hand.
What keeps it from working? Can't rotate the EBB through a full circle? 1/2 inch fore and aft adjustment should cover every gearing.

·
voodoo child
63 Posts
not enough

pacman said:
1/2 inch fore and aft adjustment should cover every gearing.
Ah, there's the rub. My EBB allows for slightly more than 3/8" adjustment -- not quite the magic 1/2" amount.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
JHESEE said:
The 1FG uses a freewheel on the rear. It is generally easier to swap chainrings than freewheels.

Be aware that the 30 x 18 (43.3") is a higher gear than 32 x 20 (41.6").

It is my preference to run the largest tooth counts that I can for a slightly smoother feel. I have a 38 x 21 at the moment.

·
Registered
742 Posts
32x20 for me

JHESEE said:
A 32 tooth chain ring is what they come with, bigger is better for gear and chain life. I use a cheap ACS 20 tooth freewheel. In Arizona I ran 2x1 but in Oregon I much prefere a lower gear, hills are too steep and long here. I like to trials hop roots and switchbacks.

The only issue I have with the bike is the stupid ecc. I like the suggestion of turning it around. I notched my spyder a little so I could get an allen in there staight on. I always have to hit the allen with a punch before the dumb thing will loosen. Boo hiss on the mickey mouse design. I tend to let the chain get too slack because I'm too lazy to adjust it.

Do the 20 tooth rear and be happy..............Lef-T

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.