Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Got a suspension fork
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I manage to get out on a few adventurous rides a year and love them to death. This weekend 5 of us went for a great ride out at Black Canyon. It's just a great day out on the trail with good company. Going bigger than usual and pushing yourself, immersing in the local area, losing yourself in the moment.

Great stuff for sure.

If you're a weekend warrior and have only thought about doing bigger, I'd highly encourage you to go for it, adventure is good.

I know many regulars on this board do exactly this, and much bigger than I do. But if you've been watching on the sidelines, go for it. You'll surprise yourself with what you're capable of. And those burritos and pizza slices never tasted so good as they do after hours on the trail.

That is most definitely not an April Fools joke.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire

·
Registered
815 Posts
I never thought I could do big rides until John did his Bikepack 101 adventure last year. Even though I'm a weekend warrior, since then I've done three AES courses and another bikepack! It's all about the mental game. JUST DO IT!! There is so much amazing stuff out there to see. :)

·
How much further ???
2,371 Posts
I have a wife, 4 year old and twin 2 year olds. It isnt easy but it all starts with a supportive wife that knows what mountain biking means to you and just how much of a prick you would be if you werent able to get out and ride. But thats me :)

That and getting up at the crack of dawn to maximize training while everyone is still asleep, doing the dishes and letting her get out for some girls nights out goes a long way to help too.

As the kids grow and become more involved in school and sports I actually see it getting harder to find the time.

·
1,473 Posts
yeah, I expect to be pushed big time this weekend by the Prescott Mega Monster. That Kurt is a sick, sick man and I'll be cursing him as I push my bike up Sugarloaf Mountain.

But the costco pizza at the end will make it all worth while. Right?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yeah, but how do you do this stuff if you have wife + kids? That's my excuse.
Just like everyone has said... just come up with a compromise plan. My deal is that I can have 1 (maaaaybe 2) long rides a month (8-14 hour rides) and most Sunday mornings are my short and quick spins (2-4 hours). From there I just nag and beg for overnighters and work it out with her. :)

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
I've heard that kids are all joy and no fun.....but mountain biking is all joy and all fun....if anything would convince me to not manufacture small humans that would be it. Well, that and biking is significantly cheaper and I can leave my bike in the garage for a few days without tending to it. It's tough enough not getting some chippy attitude when I get home. I mean, sure, my five hour ride turned into ten and my spot batteries died...let a guy live in the middle of nowhere for a little bit! Sheesh! Kids would just be a monkey wrench in this semi-tuned marital machine! ;)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.