Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
monster member
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We're going down to SC area to ride. (Fists pump in the air right here.) 50 years old, used to super technical stuff; we're on full-suspension stuff and can handle tech stuff. But got fat and slow-climbing but could understand the worth of the climb for the downhill but not strong.

So, to keep this conversation general, best suggeston to be:

• Brevard area
  • Pisgah area
  • Bent Creek area

?

A home base near a beer pub and good restuarants or a spa for the wife would be a good thing.

Thank you in advance kind sirs for whatever suggestions you can offer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
"SC area" Brevard, Pisgah, Bent Creek...so it sounds like you are going to the Upstate. There are also good trails around Greenville, and it's a great city with a lot of fantastic restaurants and one of the best downtowns in the USA.

·
Registered
2021 Hightower CC
73 Posts
Rode DuPont for the first time on Sunday. It was such a good time !

Ridgeline was the focus of the ride and it did not disappoint. I’m old too,(57)and have a significant investment around my mid-section. The climb to the top was a bit of a challenge, but doable and worth it. Look up some Ridgeline videos on YouTube and you’ll see why!

·
Get Down Do you
511 Posts
Ridgeline is what I refer to as the most family friendly trail that can be done at any speed and nearly any skill level. The climb is mostly double track so there is not much in the way of punchy or difficult going up. Always a top reccomendation for newer riders that want to head to DuPont.

·
Big Mac
4,987 Posts
Hi,
We're going down to SC area to ride. (Fists pump in the air right here.) 50 years old, used to super technical stuff; we're on full-suspension stuff and can handle tech stuff. But got fat and slow-climbing but could understand the worth of the climb for the downhill but not strong.

So, to keep this conversation general, best suggeston to be:

• Brevard area
  • Pisgah area
  • Bent Creek area

?

A home base near a beer pub and good restuarants or a spa for the wife would be a good thing.

Thank you in advance kind sirs for whatever suggestions you can offer.
If you’re looking for technical, ride pisgah. It doesn’t matter how long it takes you to get to the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Get Down Do you
511 Posts
Yeah, no. Ebikes are illegal in All of Pisgah and DuPont. Thanks for offering terrible advice.

That is a 100% true but that being said I am not sure I have spent 1 ride in Dupont that I didn't see an e-bike or 10. So no one is policing it at all. I do not approve of it, just making an observation.

They definitely seem more interested in policing parking vs what kind of bike you have.

·
Registered
2021 Hightower CC
73 Posts
That is a 100% true but that being said I am not sure I have spent 1 ride in Dupont that I didn't see an e-bike or 10. So no one is policing it at all. I do not approve of it, just making an observation.

They definitely seem more interested in policing parking vs what kind of bike you have.
They were definitely writing tickets and had a significant presence on Sunday.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was at the High Falls parking lot on Friday and saw a Park Ranger stopping a couple on e-bikes to let them know they were not allowed. I think they'd just come off the gravel road leading to the parking lot.

·
Get Down Do you
511 Posts
I was at the High Falls parking lot on Friday and saw a Park Ranger stopping a couple on e-bikes to let them know they were not allowed. I think they'd just come off the gravel road leading to the parking lot.
Glad to hear it too be honest. I have no issue with Ebikes but if they jeapordize my access by not following rules I have issue and this has the potential to be that way. I rarely see rangers except on parking duty so I am happy to hear they are out there.

·
What does a bean mean?!
198 Posts
Yeah, no. Ebikes are illegal in All of Pisgah and DuPont. Thanks for offering terrible advice.

Ebikes aren't quite illegal in ALL of Pisgah. If it's open to cars, it's open to ebikes. That's my understanding anyways.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm old and fat but I managed to make it up the Jim Branch climb last week, and had a great time out there. I was following a route that a gentleman at Sycamore Cycles gave me and I still managed to miss a turn, and got a little bit off track, but I was able to piece it together and find my way back to the Lake Imaging lot. I can't wait to go back again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts