Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to take the plunge into the disc brake experience. The only things I bought so far are: king iso 32 hole hubs. what are the best rims & brakes for xc racing? Hope mini?? Bonty mustang 29 rim?? Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
A lot depends on your priorities, weight, budget, or strength? As you started with King hubs, budget doesn't seem to be much of a factor. The Bontrager rims are indeed a nice weight-to-strength option @ ~480g. If you want disc-only and a bt extra beef, Alex TD17 (disc-only) is really nice and affordable @555g and the stickers can be removed. For sheer strength, Macic 719's(?) are 565g and a Clydesdale's favorite. If you're all into weight, Notubes' rims are only 390g and with a special 55g rimstrip very tubeless-ready.

Brakes, if you're in the USA, Hayes should be worth a look. Mike Curiak rode his 100% problem free across the country, and the fact that he chose them for the Great Divide Race tells something up front already. Formula customer service in the USA is excellent, I like my Formula Extreme's with 185mm. Great power/weight ratio.
29" reduces the brakes pure power by 10% over 26". Heatup is just the same. Some people like their 29" bikes with 1 size lrger rotors, i.e. 185mm in stead of 160mm. For flat trails, modern 160mm brakes often still suffice. A 180lb and a 160lb rider after all always ahve the same rotor size on 26", right.

Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, I did some research & found out that everyone has their own opinion......I like the hope mini mono, & xtr, but the hayes hfx mag plus system looks nice. At 6'2" &170 to 185 lbs I have the standard fisher 29 hardtail & still not sure what to buy???160rotors for long rocky decents?
Are any one of these more easily rebuilt, better in northeast conditions? Wet nasty weather...etc.

·
No Reputation!
1,727 Posts
I've got avid mech's and

They're great! They are really easy to install yourself and feel like "good brakes." Most of the fancy hydro's I've ridden have been grabby as in "One finger....over the bars" kinda grabby. Set up right this doesn't appear to be a problem for other people (the grabbyness that is). The avids lack the bling bling factor, they are heavier, and you've got contamination issues with the cable I guess (hasn't been a problem yet....can switch 'em out it a few minutes anyway, right?) I like the way they feel and the simplicity-no bleeding lines and the alignment system is easy. Plus they're cheap compared to a lot of brakes, if that matters. So in summary

pros
nice feel
simple to set up
cheap

cons
heavy
contamination potential
won't "wow" your buddies at the trailhead

fwiw...I'm 190 and run 165mm rotors here in the flatlands and it's plenty of one finger power.

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Avid Mechs here too

I have Avid Mechs w/185mm rotors on my 29er and Hayes Mag on my 26er w/160mm rotors. There aren't too many really long downhills here in Ontario so I haven't really felt a difference in fade and whatnot. Initial braking power feels similar between the 2. The Hayes may be a bit more progressive. Better modulation.

·
Registered
336 Posts
motoman711 said:
I have Avid Mechs w/185mm rotors on my 29er and Hayes Mag on my 26er w/160mm rotors. There aren't too many really long downhills here in Ontario so I haven't really felt a difference in fade and whatnot. Initial braking power feels similar between the 2. The Hayes may be a bit more progressive. Better modulation.
I have the Avid's on my 26" hardtail and I can attest to fade first-hand.....

I was on my second run down the slopes of Attitash in NH (probably only a 1.5 mile descent) when my brakes faded badly. Had to stop and wait for them to cool off. I then spent the rest of the day alternating running down the slope and riding singletrack to let my brakes rest / recover. (running EBC Gold pads)

By comparison I had ran Hope DH-4's on the same bike on a clandestine midnight ride up and back down the Mt. Washngotn Auto Road (about a 8 mile descent) and though the rotors were literally glowing red, I experinced very little fade. (The Hopes _were_ using EBC Red pads and freshly flushed DOT 5.1 fluid)

Ohh.. at the time I was 250 Pounds, so I would consider the conditions about as "extreme" as you can get ;-)

·
Registered
136 Posts
No fade problems on the Avids

This summer I was in NewMexico for a week of riding. Dropped 2000' in about 3 miles in < 30 minutes. No problems with my Avid Mechs with 160 rotors. Oh, I weigh in at 210#, bike at 30# and a couple of pounds of water/gear in the camelback. I was impressed with my brakes after this decent.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
My 160 Avid mechs on my old Sugar 292 worked great! Especially with the Avid Flak Jacket cables. The part I didn't like was having to use all the adapters. The Avid mechs are set up for a 'post' mount, so up front you'll need to use one adapter, and in the rear you'll need two (one Fisher to IS, and IS to post). Luckily Avid supplies the IS to post adapters with with brakes. The extra bolts and adapters do add up in weight... and if you're a recovering weight weenie (such as myself)... its kind of a bummer.

But they work great!!!

nmcculloch said:
This summer I was in NewMexico for a week of riding. Dropped 2000' in about 3 miles in < 30 minutes. No problems with my Avid Mechs with 160 rotors. Oh, I weigh in at 210#, bike at 30# and a couple of pounds of water/gear in the camelback. I was impressed with my brakes after this decent.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Another vote for Avid mechs

I don't have my 29er yet but I am a fan of Avid mechanicals. I have had piston jamming issues with Hope brakes, admittedly older models, the new ones may be better. The biggest downside of any hydraulic system is trailside maintenance is nearly impossible. With the Avids if the front cable goes ( probably the most likely failiure?) you can use the rear cable. If it's the brake itself you can switch the rear to the front, they are the same, only the mounts are different. If you run same sized rotors you can even change them out too.
Hydraulics work extremely well, when they work.
Just my 2ps worth.
Luke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts