Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
So at the end of the day, if you had both bikes as an option but could only have one, would you choose the b+ chameleon over the Stache?
I’ve had both for a bit as well and found i missed some things mentioned above with the Stache when after I sold it. But i found things I preferred about the + chameleon as well. So feel a bit torn as I’m searching again.
Yeah, I prefer the Chameleon over my old Stache. The Stache was a great bike, but for some reason I never fully clicked with it. Most of my local trails zig and zag a lot, with rolling terrain. If I were riding the type of trails where you're climbing up so you can bomb back down, the Stache MIGHT be better suited for that, But in the quick, twisty stuff, I just feel more confident and ride more aggressively aboard my Chameleon. I can throw it around pretty well. I really love it!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Over time there will be more tire options with 29" wheels but with disc brakes many frames will work with either size wheel do one can have two sets of wheels and tires if they wish to do so. Bike manufacturers are moving in this direction as it allows them to be more flexible in filling orders for their bikes. One size frame and then stick on whichever wheels and tires are requested by the bike shop for their customers.

There is also considerable differences between trails in the PNW for example and the southwest and this is going to influence both tire size and tread type.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Between the two, 29+ for sure as the clearance on my stache is unreal, never a pedal strike. Very capable bike, but I moved to a 29X2.5 full sus and it is more comfortable and definitely more agile. But 29+ works fine too.

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
I split my time between a 27.5 and a 29, but given a choice I’d take the 27.5 for agility.

In the wide open, the two sizes are indistinguishable, in the tech a smaller bike is superior.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I swear I tried to like 27.5 and 3" tires. I really did. But I've finally settled on 29x2.6 as the ideal wheel and tire combination for me. Plus-sized tires are overkill for almost everything.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In a bike with a medium size frame the wheels and tires provided are 29" except for enduro bikes. The manufacturers are making the decison for the customer. At least with disc brakes it is easier to build up a set of 27.5 wheels if one is willing to spend the money. One manufacturer is building a frame with a chip so it can be changed best handling with 27.5 or 29 inch wheels.

·
monster member
1,103 Posts
I loved my 2001 full suspension bike with 120mm suspension, 2.3 tires.

Around 2018 I started shopping for a similar 27.5 bike with 2.3 tires and not a lot of suspension. I couldn't find one and picked up a 2019 29'er with 130mm/115mm front/rear. I'm 5-11" so wasn't in that very short range that shouldn't ride a 29'er. Yet, I'm not loving the tire size. Feels a little bulky. I'm coming from a background of loving to jump, hop logs, do little tail-kicks during a jump, etc. And have been riding so long that I'm not needing any "confidence inspiring tire size". I like thinner tires dancing under me a little.

Once in awhile I get my old 24-lb 1995 26'er hard tail out and actually have a blast on it. It has 2.1/2.2 tires. It's so fast and fun. One day I need to add a pound to that old bike by adding a dropper post. That'd be totally worth it because, since having one on the 29'er I bought, I'm totally sold on dropper posts no matter the weight. They're a little like cheating to an old-timer like me but screw it, they add so much fun to any ride.

So, I'd recommend the 27.5 route with tires in the 2.3 - 2.5 range. And a dropper post.

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,632 Posts
29+ cons: my tire pressure seems never exactly right
That’s exactly my take also…it’s either too squidgy in corners and rim strikes, or inflated so high there’s no plus tire benefit. Just doesn’t seem to be a “perfect”.

Maybe it would work properly with some of those foam tire inserts, but i’ve never tried them.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,354 Posts
That’s exactly my take also…it’s either too squidgy in corners and rim strikes, or inflated so high there’s no plus tire benefit. Just doesn’t seem to be a “perfect”.

Maybe it would work properly with some of those foam tire inserts, but i’ve never tried them.
Maybe there's a secret rim width dimension. 🤔

-F

61 - 73 of 73 Posts