Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Professional Crastinator
6,348 Posts
Helpful feedback so far, thanks... two main bikes I know of in 29+ are Stache (discontinued) and Krampus. Ridden a Stache, but not a Krampus. Like the idea of a rigid, low maintenance option with the format. Any feedback around these or other bike suggestions?

For those riding 29+, what model and year? Any notable issues or pain points, concerns?

Still curious to hear anymore takes / preferences on the two wheel size comparisons and where you would lean today if in the market.
I have a Sturgis fatbike that I run 29+ in the Summer. Compared to my 29er, I have to manhandled it through the terrain a bit more. If the bike was not also a fatbike I would not have 29+. I'm mostly just preserving those expensive fatty tires. The bike itself is really comfortable - I often ride 20+ miles just in street clothes and sandals.
29+ pros: monster truck rolloverability, off camber traction
29+ cons: my tire pressure seems never exactly right, higher rolling resistance than 29er.

I've ridden a Stache. Great bike!

27.5 is not for me.

-F

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
So OP “Adam”, I’ve ridden plus tires on mtb, tandem, and muni. My first plus tires were the old 26” DH tires like the Gazz and Wildlife.

I was on the 29+ train for a while, but honestly it’s such a big tire on an already big wheel that it just weighs too much and it’s too unwieldy for doing anything but rolling straight.

I find 27+ to be far more fun to ride; I rode my FS 27.5 after work today. I still have plus tires, but I mostly stick to 2.5-2.6 because they handle better; ie less flex and more stable at speed.

My Nimble 9 hardtail will be single speed, front suspension, 27.5 x 2.6-2.8”

Plus bikes, like fat bikes, were a fad, phase, craze, so it’d be surprising if 3” tires survive. Slowly but surely the tires and the bikes they fit are being phased out.

I still think an FS bike is a better choice for comfort and performance on the trail. Second to that, I’d get a 27.5 hardtail, esp if you like BMX.

Have you checked out the Canfield Nimble 9?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
This article about status of plus tires from industry people was updated earlier this year, fwiw: Are Plus Tires And Bikes Still A Thing?

I suppose my biggest concern is dropping from a 3.0 to 2.6 for wet months / soft conditions for traction and minimal affect/damage to the terrain. Is a 2.6 enough? The gap between that and a fat bike seems more pronounced, whereas a 3.0 felt like a pretty good 4-season bike and middle ground for those who don't have true fat bike conditions regularly.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
This article about status of plus tires from industry people was updated earlier this year, fwiw: Are Plus Tires And Bikes Still A Thing?

I suppose my biggest concern is dropping from a 3.0 to 2.6 for wet months / soft conditions for traction and minimal affect/damage to the terrain. Is a 2.6 enough? The gap between that and a fat bike seems more pronounced, whereas a 3.0 felt like it could be a pretty good 4-season bike and middle ground for those who don't have true fat bike conditions regularly.
Adam, what type of trails are you riding? Are you on the east coast with tons of rocks and roots?

I ask this because you may or may not need plus tires. My bike can take plus tires 29 and 27.5, but I choose not to run them.

I had a 29er full squish and it rode super smooth compared to my hardtail. Riding this bike was like pressing the easy mode button. The difference was that dramatic. That may be the way to go if you're looking at ride quality.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I'm riding in southwest Ohio, which has a pretty good amount of roots and some rocks. It's not a smooth ride though there are some stretches that are. I tried a FS but coming from a BMX background, felt like I wanted something simpler. So a hardtail with the plus tires seemed to be enough and gave a little comfort. I ride playful, but not super aggressive.

I'm not so much worried about top speed (though I do like to go fast in open sections) or PRs as I am just flowing around, working through some obstacles, and like having something I can still grab in the wet months that will have enough traction.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I'm riding in southwest Ohio, which has a pretty good amount of roots and some rocks. It's not a smooth ride though there are some stretches that are. I tried a FS but coming from a BMX background, felt like I wanted something simpler. So a hardtail with the plus tires seemed to be enough and gave a little comfort. I ride playful, but not super aggressive.

I'm not so much worried about top speed (though I do like to go fast in open sections) or PRs as I am just flowing around, working through some obstacles, and like having something I can still grab in the wet months that will have enough traction.
Sounds like a HT 27.5 with high volume 2.4 would be spot on. You actually don't want 3.0 for wet saturated soil because you float instead of dig to the harder surface below.

·
Registered
21 Santa Cruz Chameleon
171 Posts
29 all day. It was there when I stopped mountain biking 12 years ago, and it was still here 3 months ago when I started back up. As far as plus tires go, I had a 2.5 on the front my 29er. It felt like a boat anchor for where I ride. Currently running 29x2.4 and couldn’t be happier.

·
This place needs an enema
16,325 Posts
Plus bikes, like fat bikes, were a fad, phase, craze, so it’d be surprising if 3” tires survive.
The plus 'fad' has been around for 8+ years now, with new devotees daily.

Definitely isn't for everyone, nor everywhere.

The only time I'm not riding 29 x 3" on trail is when I'm riding 29 x 2.8".

·
16,325 Posts
29+ as I love my Stache. BUT, plus sizes in general have been dying on the vine for the last three years and 29+ feels the closest to death. Just be aware that your tire choice might be limited...as in very limited. Like you're really going against the grain by buying plus and you]re not at the start of a trend, you're at the end. If you know a tire you like and can find it now, I'd seriously consider buying enough pairs for a few years. I highly doubt anything new and improved will come out. Innovation is pretty dead in the space.

There's a lot of hearsay and repeating of others here, but your assertions are entirely free of facts.

Just in my tiny shop right now I have pretty big (think: hundreds) inventory of these 29+ tires: XR4, SE4, DHF, DHR, Dirt Wizard, Knard, Ranger, Rekon, Coronado, and Cannoli.

Several dozen XR2's are due to arrive next month.

I get the N+1 thing, but really -- how many tires do you need?

·
16,325 Posts
Not to deter from the focus too much here, but as a side note, anyone have comparisons of 29x3 vs 29x2.6? See a lot more of the latter lately. I described “goals” for the bike a couple posts above, can 2.6 achieve these just about as well, or is the even wider plus size going to make a noticeable difference. (I’ve only spent some time on 29+ vs 2.3/1 and the thinner size to me falls short.)

2.6 is a lot closer in size/air volume to 2.3 than to 3.0.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
From the article OP posted:

Aaron Chamberlain -- Maxxis Tires -- "Once the novelty of plus tires wore off, the demand plummeted. And that's both from the OE and aftermarket segments. Our sales of 29+ (3.0")tires, in particular, are almost nonexistent. We have seen some bike manufacturers try the mixed wheel size moto thing on their e-bikes with a 29er front and a 27+ rear, but it doesn't seem to be a trend that's catching on. However, our 2.60" wide tires - both 27.5 and 29 - continue to sell very well. It seems that size is a sweet spot for many riders who want a more forgiving ride without giving up too much in the way of precision. In terms of application, we see a lot of our plus tires on hardtails, especially those geared towards adventure, exploration, and bikepacking."

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wonder if the 29+ option is better suited to the Clyde's vs the avg rider. I could never get comfortable and was always nervous on the old 26"s.. at 6'4" & 280 regardless of how large the frame could get.. It never looked right and the scale was just wrong, imagine taking a std medium frame bike on 26" and swapping them out for 24".

I honestly do not notice the weight of the larger tires at all. What I do notice is the ability to sit more in the bike then on it.

Current steed is 2020 Krampus XL running 29x3.0, sunrise bars... Perfect balance. Monster trucks over everything and is still very tossable to me.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Adambike, I’m a fan of 29+ tires but you can always run both by going the mullet route. Run a 29+ upfront and a 27.5+ out back. For the last 18 months I’ve had one bike with a mullet setup (2.6 F&R) and plan to try mullet + sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm building a 29+/27.5+ mullet right now. However the per tire weights are pretty shocking in the plus sizes. I ordered a backup set of xc tires in 2.6" front/rear because I like choice, and because they're 680g total lighter.
I'm excited to try both sets, and maybe the real answer is some of the single ply lighter duty +versions that come in around 800g per. (McFlys, Rangers, etc).
@mikesee how do we see your store's inventory?
The frame I'm getting fits up to 2.8 in the rear, and the fork fits 3.0 (most 3.0, anyway).

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,141 Posts
I'm building a 29+/27.5+ mullet right now. However the per tire weights are pretty shocking in the plus sizes. I ordered a backup set of xc tires in 2.6" front/rear because I like choice, and because they're 680g total lighter.
I'm excited to try both sets, and maybe the real answer is some of the single ply lighter duty +versions that come in around 800g per. (McFlys, Rangers, etc).
@mikesee how do we see your store's inventory?
The frame I'm getting fits up to 2.8 in the rear, and the fork fits 3.0 (most 3.0, anyway).
Grip and durability are two of my favorite aspects of 29+ tires. After trying (and destroying) many medium tread tires over the years I've finally settled on 3.0 Minions F/R. It's totally worth it.

Don't measure Awesome in grams.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,864 Posts
I'm 6', so 29'er with 2.6" tires are perfect for me.

I do have a few riders who prefer 27.5's but they are all riding small and medium frames. I think body height plays into your preference somewhat.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts