Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically 3.0” tires on a hardtail. Preferences? Industry support considerations?
Subjective based on riding style and terrain, but if you had both options available to choose from (similar builds and geo), which way would you go as a primary bike?
I’ve ridden both and see pros to both, so curious others. There is a used 27.5x3 I’m considering, but for some reason I’m hesitant and keep feeling like I want to find a 29x3 again… but then I go back to thinking maybe the 27.5 is better in the end…

·
Registered
54 Posts
I really like plus tires on a hardtail. I owned a Stache with 29x3.0, and I currently ride a Chameleon with 27.5x2.8. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that there might be more tire options in the 27.5x2.8 size. Tire options aside, I prefer the nimbleness of 27.5 plus over 29 plus.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I’ve tried b 2.6s and 2.8s along with 3.0s and whenever I’ve done the “smaller” widths I’ve felt like I’m wanting. I seem to prioritize the volume and traction/spread for more riding conditions, including wet seasons.
Yeah the nimbleness and options draw me to the b but I really liked the comfort, rollover and width of the 29+. Only downside was sometimes I felt like it was a lot of wheel to maneuver over slow, tech obstacles. Also had this slight mental struggle of being more worried I was going to damage the rim or tires and it would be harder or more expensive to replace with this size.
I realize there are some who don’t prefer either, but drawing comparisons from those who do or have had experience with it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like plus tires on a hardtail. I owned a Stache with 29x3.0, and I currently ride a Chameleon with 27.5x2.8. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that there might be more tire options in the 27.5x2.8 size. Tire options aside, I prefer the nimbleness of 27.5 plus over 29 plus.
So at the end of the day, if you had both bikes as an option but could only have one, would you choose the b+ chameleon over the Stache?
I’ve had both for a bit as well and found i missed some things mentioned above with the Stache when after I sold it. But i found things I preferred about the + chameleon as well. So feel a bit torn as I’m searching again.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
29+ all day but I ride a lot of rooty trails without many tight switchbacks, if I had more of those I think a b+ would be best.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
27.5 or 29...

Depends on the overall design of the bike. Wheel size is not independent of the bikes geometry, fit, function, etc. Some bikes are better as 27.5's, some as 29's. When I demo bikes, I ignore wheel size and go with what rides best. I've been surprised more than once.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Helpful feedback so far, thanks... two main bikes I know of in 29+ are Stache (discontinued) and Krampus. Ridden a Stache, but not a Krampus. Like the idea of a rigid, low maintenance option with the format. Any feedback around these or other bike suggestions?

For those riding 29+, what model and year? Any notable issues or pain points, concerns?

Still curious to hear anymore takes / preferences on the two wheel size comparisons and where you would lean today if in the market.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
13,842 Posts
In case you’re tall (6’2”+), I’ll mention I’m selling this 2021 custom frame with 83mm BB, 170mm crank & rear wheel (157mm axle, DT 350 hub, i40 RF rim) and seat clamp for $1500. Designed around a 170mm fork, very slack HA, very steep STA, slider dropouts.
Bicycle Tire Plant Wheel Bicycle wheel

DM me if interested.
=sParty

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
The bike industry is notorious for leaving riders high and dry. Plus is slowly going away. If you buy 27+ there's a very good chance you'll be overpaying for a dwindling tire supply, or be forced to run 2.6 when you can't find anything wider. 29+ might be more stable but I wouldn't bank on it. The industry pulled the plug on plus nearly 20 years ago, they are doing it again. They even killed off 2.6 which I won't be surprised is that happens again too. The vast majority of the market is 29, no wider than 2.5. I'm a little concerned all 27" stuff is going the way of 26". I will not be shocked at all if 27" becomes such a small market the industry neglects it to the point of only mullets and size S. We're more than half way there already. I'm not saying this to encourage you buy a 29'er. We need more people buying 27" stuff to keep it around. I would not buy 27+. You would be better off buying a 26'er. At least we know the industry has continued to offer some 26" tires. I wouldn't bank on 27+tires being available in as little as 3 years time. Old stock will float around on eBay for who knows how long but new mold tires will be a thing of the past soon.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts