Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been involved with 29ers, off and on, for several years now. I recently sold my well-built Astrix Monk as I've been really enjoying my 6-inch 26er on technical AZ stuff.

That said, I'm in the market for a 29er SS. I have a reasonable budget and want a HT frame that I can run a 100mm fork on. I've had both steel and aluminum and, honestly, can't tell much of a difference. Obviously this will be a single speed, so I won't be riding a ton of gnar. However, all our trails have a rocky element.

Me: 6'2", about 195 in gear. Long-ish top tube=good. Shortish stays=good. SS specific=good. Big tire clearance=good. Mostly want the bike to be efficient, quick without being twitchy, fun to ride as a secondary bike to my tech bike. My top choices:

-- Soul Cycles Dillinger

-- OS Blackbuck

-- Maybe a Jabberwocky. Maybe a KM.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Gary Fisher Rig, 21" is what I would buy. Or a Felt Nine Solo it it were available.

It appears that you are favoring steel though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm 6'2'' and run the 19'' fisher frame so make sure to test ride the rig in 19'' and 21'' so you can decide which one is the right one for you.

·
PHMOL
13 Posts
Just put together a Dillinger SS full ridg and was surprised at how well it handled, was riding full boing for 15 years untill the other day. It felt odd at first but by the end of the ride it felt normal and fun.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Blackbuck

I'm 6'2" 180ish geared up and have been on a SS SIR9 for about a year now, great bike for me and my S AZ trails. That being said if it were to break tomorrow I'd have a Blackbuck ordered by the end of the day. That bike just speaks to me...and I like what it's saying.
I've heard good things about your other top choices and would want to throw a leg over them before discarding them as options. The Jabberwocky in particular has a strong following. I'd get in touch with Tamen about a test ride in Phx
Fun choices, I envy you. Make sure to post up a pic of the eventual winner.
Cheers,
M

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,356 Posts
Blatant said:
-- Soul Cycles Dillinger

-- OS Blackbuck

-- Maybe a Jabberwocky. Maybe a KM.

Thoughts?
I like the OS best, but I would look hard at a Rig if I were in your shoes. Dillinger is beautiful, but long chainstays, same with the Vassago. Good for some things, not for others. The handling of the KM is great and it would be hard to go wrong there. Especially if you see rigid in your future.

·
No Clue Crew
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
E and others: I'm not a GF fan, though that's with older bikes and not the newer geo.

I've made the mistake in the past of building an HT 29er (think Origin 8 Scout) that mimic'd things I like in other bikes (short rear, long/tall front, etc.). Great for riding wheelies and manualing. Not great for actual trail riding on a SS.

Truth is, the favorite SS 29er I ever owned was a previous gen. Cannondale Caffeine. That bike was fast. The newer ones, which I've test ridden, are not the same.

I did not intend a sizing comparo: I ride a large. Period.

I can pick up KMs cheap, but the handling reviews seem hit/miss and the standover is huge. I don't ever see rigid in my future.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Blatant said:
I did not intend a sizing comparo: I ride a large. Period.
A large from which company though? Just a reminder that every bike company does there sizes a little different, and sometimes different enough to matter

·
Tulsa
1,085 Posts
i've a km and a blackbuck, for singlespeed , in my mind, the blackbuck wins hands down, i won't be getting rid of my km anytime soon though

i hope.

·
No Clue Crew
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again, not asking for sizing help. I think I can figure out what size I need. Thanks.

·
No Clue Crew
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rojogonzo said:
i've a km and a blackbuck, for singlespeed , in my mind, the blackbuck wins hands down, i won't be getting rid of my km anytime soon though

i hope.
Interested in more specifics about WHY you feel this way. I don't care for the look of the KM, but I have no riding experience. KM owner comments seem to suggest some sort of mystique. Trying to figure out if I should buy in ...

·
Tulsa
1,085 Posts
As my preferences and wants change, the KM can adapt, to work, to play, to tour, not to race but some do.

The Blackbuck seems bred to do the one thing i thought i'd never do, singlespeed again at an old age, I was looking for a bike to build up tough for all mountain around here (tulsa) and arkansas, not a bike like the OS but just dug the way the blackbuck looked, after riding it a while, i realized it was capable of doing anything i'll be capable of at my age and more going forward. I tried it with the short forks for quick handling, now i've slacked it out for this seasons riding so it is somewhat versatile in that regard it loves to carve and climb. I'm putting a sus fork on the geared km and making it heavier duty, next year, who knows, but the blackbuck won't change much, it's what it is and i like that.
There are better reviewers out there, but my take is you should buy one of each.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
Singular Swift comes with a 485mm rigid fork with 48mm offset for $590. Being designed around those numbers would make it work quite nicely with a 100mm fork.
I love mine. Very balanced handling. I didn't think I'd like the EBB, but I love it. I can get a 3 gear range with the same chain (maybe 4 but I haven't tried it), with no discernible effect on pedaling, or saddle height. The precision of the Phil Wood insert and BB shell add up to creak free riding.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Ebb?

rojogonzo said:

i hope.
How has the EBB been? I tend to shy away from them.

·
Tulsa
1,085 Posts
bikenut316 said:
How has the EBB been? I tend to shy away from them.
This is my first EBB, it's a pinch bolt, absolutely no problems to date, one can get a small amount of adjustment on the chainline by moving it side to side. I thought the pinch area would get full of crud when I first saw it but that's not been a problem, i'm not much of a mud rider anyway, just creek crossings and transitions and whatnot. I run square taper cranks, not sure if another bearing system would make any difference. I wouldn't hesitate to go that route again.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Why not throw a Singular Swift into the Mix and also for that matter a Quiring Q-Ball (better geometry than a Karate Monkey IMO.)

·